Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Larsen On "Savage Dragon," FCBD

Erik Larsen opens his long-running "Savage Dragon" series to new readers with
    a return to his roots and a guest-starring role for the Golden Age hero Daredevil
    on Free Comic Book Day.

Full article here.

It's a really interesting choice to use the golden age Daredevil when he is being so prominently featured in Project Superpowers at DE. And itís ballsy to use the characterís original name when Marvel can be so litigious. Good for Mr. Larsen!

Releasing the current issue of an ongoing title as the FCBD title is a great idea, and I'm really suprised that this is the first time it has really been tried by a major comic publisher.

Here's hoping that the free issue will introduce a bunch of new readers to the goodness that is Savage Dragon.

What the...?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper_WA View Post
    It's a really interesting choice to use the golden age Daredevil when he is being so prominently featured in Project Superpowers at DE. And itís ballsy to use the characterís original name when Marvel can be so litigious. Good for Mr. Larsen!
    He can still use the name as long as the character as long as it's not featured on the cover and it's clearly a different character. Same deal with Captain Marvel at DC.

BANNED

This looks like something I'll pick up.

I happened across a copy of issue #100 and that was one HEFTY book.

I'm always tempted to start in on this book but I'm never sure where to begin with....looks like I'll be able to give it a shot.

Any Dragon readers out there that can give me a bit of a review of the story thus far, art quality, etc.?

I dig Eric, especially when he was on Spiderman but the last thing I picked up of his was the Defenders series back in the day. NOT his best, lol.

The Savage Dragon Archives may be in black and white, but its the perfect place to start and you can't beat the price for the amount of issues, let alone the sheet quality of the stories.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

I was wondering how Larsen will be able to keep free of Marvel with the use of Daredevil name? Is it like the Captain Marvel thing between DC and Marvel?

I am looking forward to GA DD showing up, I think Erik will do a better job writing the character, then the one in SUPERPOWERS.

Buy Savage Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    I was wondering how Larsen will be able to keep free of Marvel with the use of Daredevil name? Is it like the Captain Marvel thing between DC and Marvel?
    Yeah, pretty much. I doubt Erik would be able to have a big logo saying, "Guest Starring Daredevil" or a oneshot of "Daredevil" but it's quite acceptable to have the character show up in the pages of Savage Dragon.
    - Gav

If you've ever thought about trying Savage Dragon but the high issue numbers intimidate you, why not visit the SD Wiki? You'll catch up in no time.

http://savagedragonwiki.wikispaces.com/