Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spider-marriage Survey Results Are Up!

12/7/2008

Hello, everyone. Here are the results of the Spider-Man survey I put up last week. After 136 votes, here are the results. You may be surprised by what got the most votes in the 10 categories. I was (PLEASE NOTE: Some people who voted skipped a category or two, which is why some questions have more votes than others):

1) Should the marriage of Spider-Man and Mary Jane be restored permanently into the continuity of "The Amazing Spider-Man" monthly comic book series?
    Yes, I hate that the marriage was retconned to begin with: 71 votes
    Yes, but not permanently and then let MJ separate/divorce after the timeline is restored to normal: 3 votes
    No, I like the status quo just fine, thank you: 24 votes
    No, I don't like the current status quo, but I don't like the Spider-Marriage either: 2 votes
    Other: 6 votes

It seems there are a lot more fans who want the marriage back than everyone thinks. Although a lot of you like the current status quo and the marriage gone. Two of the "Other" votes said "no" to the marriage in your text comments. In the other four write-in "Other" comments, the fans still want to see the Spider-Marriage restored. However, one wasn't so sure it'd happen and commented that "[Marvel] wouldn't permanently restore the Spider-Marriage that I and the other [Spider-Man] fans love, so what's the point?".

2) If the Spider-Marriage is restored, how should it come back in the Spider-Man comics?
    I don't care how it comes back, just bring it back as soon as possible: 41 votes
    Have Doctor Strange do it somehow with his magic: 6 votes
    Have Doctor Doom do it, as he owes Spider-Man a debt: 3 votes
    Have Loki do it somehow, as he owes Spidey a debt too: 17 votes
    Have Mephisto do it unintentionally, and then never, EVER use him in a Spider-Man comic again: 8 votes
    Remarry Peter and Mary Jane in "Brand New Day" continuity: 7 votes
    Please don't remarry them. I said I don't want the marriage back, remember?: 22 votes

It seems a lot of you don't care "how" it's brought back, just so long as it IS brought back. The biggest surprise to me was seeing Loki so high on the list, as I find it odd that the God of Mischief is a better candidate to help Spidey than Doctor Strange. Doctor Doom got three votes, as well two more votes in the "Other" section to help Doctor Strange (good luck with that -- don't Strange and Doom hate each other?), while the "Other" text comments were also in favor of the Spider-Marriage staying away.

3) If the marriage is restored, WHEN should Peter and Mary Jane be married again?
    Right Now: 26 votes
    The Amazing Spider-Man issue #600, due out next year: 42 votes
    Sometime in 2009, as soon as the writers can bring it back: 9 votes
    Sometime in 2010: 1 vote
    Maybe in a few more years from now, let's give the current direction a bit more time: 9 votes
    Never: 21 votes

It seems that those who voted have a favorite way of seeing it come back: issue #600 due out next year. As unlikely as that is, it's nice to see fans want to see the marriage back in the 600th issue of "The Amazing Spider-Man". Three of the six "Other" votes said "the marriage is gone - thank God", "the Spider-Marriage ain't coming back -- let it go, dude" and "The marriage is gone! Thanks, Joe Q.!" However, the other three wrote in comments that were in support of its return: "Don't remarry a couple that's already married", "Bring it back, Marvel!", and "Why did they retcon it to begin with?"

4) If the marriage does come back, then who should write the return of the Spider-Marriage back into continuity?
    Stan Lee: 14 votes
    Joe Quesada: 1 vote
    J. Michael Straczynski: 23 vote
    Mark Waid: 3 votes
    Joe Kelly: 2 votes
    Marc Guggenheim: 1 votes
    Roger Stern: 4 votes
    Paul Jenkins: 2 votes
    Jeph Loeb: 1 vote
    Tom DeFalco (yay, Spider-Girl!!): 7 votes
    Dan Slott: 9 votes
    Brian Michael Bendis: 16 votes
    Mark Millar: 2 votes
    Other: 24
    (J.M. DeMatteis got 5 votes, Geoff Johns got 3 votes, and Matt Fraction got the most write-ins with 16)

It seems we have a clear winner, and it's no surprise, since J.M.S. was one of the better writers who wrote the Spider-Marriage. Brian Michael Bendis and Stan Lee also had good numbers, but I'm surprised Mr. DeFalco didn't rank higher. The biggest surprise was the write-in vote in the "Other" section -- Matt Fraction. However, if you read the "Sensational Spider-Man" Annual he wrote, you know why he's ranked so high.

5) If the Spider-Marriage does return, who should draw the issue where it comes back?
    John Romita Sr.: 32 votes
    John Romita Jr.: 42 votes
    Ron Frenz: 2 votes
    Mark Bagley: 15 votes
    Stuart Immonen: 2 votes
    Joe Quesada: 6 votes
    other: 6

It was close, but John Romita Jr. barely beat his dad as the fan favorite to draw the comic. For the Other write-ins, Mike Dedato Jr. got 2 votes, Alex Ross got 3 votes and Joe Quesada got an "Other" nomination for writer/artist of the Spider-Marriage's return, with a text comment to "set things right himself".

6) If the marriage is restored, should Peter's identity as Spider-Man be a secret or public knowledge again?
    A secret from everyone: 28 votes
    A secret from the world, except for a select few (Mary Jane, Black Cat, Daredevil, Venom, Green Goblin, etc.): 75 votes
    A secret? I want the whole world know Spidey's real identity like they did after "Civil War": 19 votes
    Other: 10 votes

No question here: some people SHOULD know Peter's Spider-Man. At least, that's what the people who voted in the survey said. For the "Other" section, some were in favor of the world still knowing Peter was Spidey, while others say, "Some SHOULD know Pete's Spider-Man. Doc Ock and Scorpion should [know], too!"

7) Should the events of One More Day and Brand New Day stay in continuity?
    Yes: 63 votes
    No: 57 votes
    Other: 13 votes

Don't think that this one's a clear win. While a lot of you voted "yes", 10 voters in the "Other" category said to retcon "One More Day" and "Brand New Day", while others want just "One More Day" erased from continuity. Ten of the write-in comments had some things in common: "bring back Pete's organic webbing", "let Harry Osborn remain dead", and "undo 'Sins Past' and 'The Other' from continuity".

8) If Peter and Mary Jane's marriage returns, then should Aunt May, the very cause of the retcon of the Spider-Marriage, remain alive after its return?
    Yes: 59 votes
    No: 65 votes
    Other: 9 votes

A lot of you don't want Aunt May to be alive once the marriage is back, but in the "Other" write-in comments, a lot of you don't care either way if she lives or dies. One wrote in "don't care either way", while another said, "let her leave, but killing her isn't necessary."

9) If Spider-Man and Mary Jane are married again, should they go back to college like they did after the Clone Saga/before the Chapter One reboot?
    Yes: 53 votes
    No: 68 votes

While there are a lot of you that want Peter and M.J. both on campus, a lot of you sure don't. However, in the "Other" section, five of you wrote in that you'd only like to see Mary Jane back in college and getting her psychology degree. One merely wrote: "M.J. on campus, yes! Peter? NO!!!"

10) Finally, if the Spider-Marriage does return somehow, would you read and/or buy the comics?
    Yes: 110 votes
    No: 16 votes

Well, this is another clear winner. It seems those who voted, whether you do like the book or not, sure wouldn't mind if the Marriage came back and it wouldn't keep you from buying the comics at all.

What do you guys think of the final results?

Thanks for reading,
    S.G.
    www.ipetitions.com/petition/spideyandmj - 590 signatures and counting

THE UNOFFICIAL GROUP FOR FANS OF SPIDER-MAN'S MARRIAGE
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111081818082

Gotta say this

ONLY 136 Votes?
    Dr Strange makes Iron Man's armor Macintosh Supported

Interesting survey, although it's not a surprise to see that most fans want the marriage back. Lots of indecision in #7 and #8 though.

And the countdown to see how long until someone says that online polls are useless because people aren't buying the book or something like that begins... Now.

12/7/2008

Actually, GSC, it was more than 136.

It's true the survey I put up here at CBR got 136 votes, but I had another version of the survey, with the exact same questions, that people voted on and it was mentioned on the message boards of five other websites: Superhero Hype, CountingDown, Spider-Man Crawl Space, Wizard Universe, and the Comicboards Spider-Man message board. 162 people voted in all on that version and these were the results:

1) Should the marriage of Spider-Man and Mary Jane be restored permanently into the continuity of "The Amazing Spider-Man" monthly comic book series?
    - Yes, I hate that the marriage was retconned to begin with - 108 votes
    - Yes, but not permanently and then let MJ separate/divorce after the timeline is restored to normal - 6 votes
    - No, I like the status quo just fine, thank you - 36
    - No, I don't like the current status quo, but I don't like the Spider-Marriage either - 3 votes
    - Other - 7 votes

2) If the Spider-Marriage is restored, how should it come back in the Spider-Man comics?
    - I don't care how it comes back, just bring it back as soon as possible - 55 votes
    - Have Doctor Strange do it somehow with his magic - 5 votes
    - Have Doctor Doom do it, as he owes Spider-Man a debt - 3 votes
    - Have Loki do it somehow, as he owes Spidey a debt too - 28 votes
    - Have Mephisto do it unintentionally, and then never, EVER use him in a Spider-Man comic again - 10 votes
    - Remarry Peter and Mary Jane in "Brand New Day" continuity - 12 votes
    - Please don't remarry them. I said I don't want the marriage back, remember? - 35 votes
    - Other - 11

3) If the marriage is restored, WHEN should Peter and Mary Jane be married again?
    - Right Now - 51 votes
    The Amazing Spider-Man issue #600, due out next year - 43 votes
    Sometime in 2009, as soon as the writers can bring it back - 12 votes
    Sometime in 2010 - 2 votes
    Maybe in a few more years from now, let's give the current direction a bit more time - 10 votes
    Never - 27 votes
    Other - 11 votes

4) If the marriage does come back, then who should write the return of the Spider-Marriage back into continuity?
    - Stan Lee - 21 votes
    - Joe Quesada - 1 vote
    - J. Michael Straczynski - 15 votes
    - Mark Waid - 4 votes
    - Joe Kelly - 0 votes (sorry, Mr. Kelly)
    - Marc Guggenheim - 1 votes
    - Roger Stern - 6 votes
    - Paul Jenkins - 5 votes
    - Jeph Loeb - 4 votes
    - Tom DeFalco (yay, Spider-Girl!!) - 27 votes
    - Dan Slott - 16 votes
    - Brian Michael Bendis - 11 votes
    - Mark Millar - 3 votes
    - Matt Fraction - 23 votes (he was a write-in vote by you guys in the "other" section)
    - Other - 46 (23 of those went to Matt Fraction, while J.M. DeMatteis, Fred Van Lente, Tom Beland and Marv Wolfman also got votes)

5) If the Spider-Marriage does return, who should draw the issue where it comes back?
    - John Romita Sr. - 53 votes
    - John Romita Jr. - 58 votes
    - Ron Frenz - 2 votes
    - Mark Bagley - 22 votes
    - Stuart Immonen - 2 votes
    - Joe Quesada - 8 votes
    - Other - 15 votes (other suggestions were Alex Ross, George Perez, Salvador Larroca and Mike Choi)

6) If the marriage is restored, should Peter's identity as Spider-Man be a secret or public knowledge again?
    - A secret from everyone - 29 votes
    - A secret from the world, except for a select few (Mary Jane, Black Cat, Daredevil, Venom, Green Goblin, etc.) - 96
    - A secret? I want the whole world know Spidey's real identity like they did after "Civil War" - 23
    - Other - 11

7) Should the events of One More Day and Brand New Day stay in continuity?
    - Yes - 73 votes
    - No - 75 votes
    - Other - 12 votes

8) If Peter and Mary Jane's marriage returns, then should Aunt May, the very cause of the retcon of the Spider-Marriage, remain alive after its return?
    - Yes - 66
    - No - 79
    - Other - 15

9) If Spider-Man and Mary Jane are married again, should they go back to college like they did after the Clone Saga/before the Chapter One reboot?
    - Yes - 78
    - No - 73
    - Other - 9

10) Finally, if the Spider-Marriage does return somehow, would you read and/or buy the comics?
    - Yes - 147
    - No - 13
    - Other - 10

Well, let me know what you guys thought of the results.

Thanks for reading,
    S.G.
    www.ipetitions.com/petition/spideyandmj - 590 signatures and counting

THE UNOFFICIAL GROUP FOR FANS OF SPIDER-MAN'S MARRIAGE
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111081818082

I didn't vote because it was just a fan survey and is not done to any scientific degree. So here's one person who might have changed the results.

Also the results are completely bogus. Knowing that there are 74 people who want the marriage back is meaningless, unless you think Marvel's numbers are limited to 136 people buying their comics.
    Buy List
    Adventures of Superman, Aquaman, Aquaman and the Others, AC, Batman Eternal, BM/SM, Detective Comics, Earth 2, Flash, GA, JLU, Superman, SM/WW, World's Finest
    She-Hulk, Avengers Undercover

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

A survey for and aimed directly at unsatisfied/disenfranchised fans wants the marriage back?

I'm shocked, certainly can't say I saw that coming.
    Last edited by Dr. Chaos; 12-07-2008 at 03:58 PM.
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Lynch View Post
    Also the results are completely bogus. Knowing that there are 74 people who want the marriage back is meaningless, unless you think Marvel's numbers are limited to 136 people buying their comics.

While that's true to an extent...and you can prove anything with statistics...if these 136 voters are a random cross-section of Spider-Man readers (I voted and I can vouch that I'm pretty random!), then 74 people voting "Yes, I hate that the marriage was retconned to begin with" is a pretty damning indictment of Joe Q and Marvel's ability to judge their readership.

Of course, I realise that there are a lot of folks out there who like the current Status Quo but it's also clear from this survey that there's an awful lot of people who don't.

I think that if nothing else, this survey indicates that the anti-BNDers are a lot more numerous than many folks on these boards perhaps suspected.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    A survey for and aimed directly at unsatisfied/disenfranchised fans wants the marriage back?

I'm shocked, certainly can't say I saw that coming.
    LOL

Yeah, WAAAAAAAY too biased and leading.

Enough with the marrige...its not coming back. They have planned out the story for like, 2 years already.

Give it up. U dont like this spier-man? read USM

Nice results, but other than the fun of it I am afraid it can't be used as hard evidence for anything. We don't know how many participated in both versions of the survey either so we simply can not add up the results. It would have some more weight to it if over a 1000 participated, but as long as this is a poll where you don't get a random sample you can't trust the results either.

But I would surely hope that the results are representative of the truth, and simple logic tells me it is.

The survey suggests roughly 75% is in favour of the marriage. ICV2 numbers together with the october statement of ownership from Marvel shows that almost half the number of fans are gone since OMD. (I take it for granted that most of these liked the marriage). A guess as good as any would be that the remaining 'half' of the fans (the buying 'half') is split in two almost equal parts depending om whether they like the marriage or not. If that is the case then it would comply with the result of around 75% in favour of the marriage.

(I won't be back before friday so don't expect any quick replies if you challenge my thoughts here)
    -Dan Slott: "Darn straight, CloneSaga! Beware the "Truth Stick!" :) "

Quote Originally Posted by CloneSaga View Post
    Nice results, but other than the fun of it I am afraid it can't be used as hard evidence for anything. We don't know how many participated in both versions of the survey either so we simply can not add up the results. It would have some more weight to it if over a 1000 participated, but as long as this is a poll where you don't get a random sample you can't trust the results either.
    There was a poll with over 15000 votes in Newsarama, where around the 65% voted against the changes OMD brought - http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=141208

I'm pretty sure people can find a reason to dismiss that poll too, though.

to be honest the thread at newrama was fresh out of OMD,wich i concur is the worst thing ever, and bnd had barely started.
    i would like to see a new poll there now that bnd has actually been out for a while and brought good issues,cos if i was a voter when the thread was create i too would have voted the last one,omd was horrible ! BND is great

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CloneSaga

But I would surely hope that the results are representative of the truth, and simple logic tells me it is.

The survey suggests roughly 75% is in favour of the marriage. ICV2 numbers together with the october statement of ownership from Marvel shows that almost half the number of fans are gone since OMD. (I take it for granted that most of these liked the marriage). A guess as good as any would be that the remaining 'half' of the fans (the buying 'half') is split in two almost equal parts depending om whether they like the marriage or not. If that is the case then it would comply with the result of around 75% in favour of the marriage.

(I won't be back before friday so don't expect any quick replies if you challenge my thoughts here)
    Well, this may not mean much but Wizard did a similar poll a few months back and got similar results with 80% of the people responding saying that they would want the marriage back. And not many people who posted on these boards new anything about that poll. So its not much, but its a start!

Quote Originally Posted by DarKye View Post
    There was a poll with over 15000 votes in Newsarama, where around the 65% voted against the changes OMD brought - http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=141208

I'm pretty sure people can find a reason to dismiss that poll too, though.
    Well sure, its a self-selected group of people who visit Newsarama. However 15000 votes is much more impressive then 126. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a more recent one with those numbers as I think we'd see a lot less "Not a happy camper today. Gonna keep reading but I don't think I like this at all." and a lot less "Eh, no strong opinion either way so far. Depends on what they do with it. "

However assuming they both continue to buy the comics (as at least one category indicates they will) and that the people who liked it and those that disliked it and refused to buy it didn't change their opinion (I'm one such person who did change their opinion), then a 35% retention rate is pretty damning.

However sales would indicate that Marvel has in fact kept 54% of its readership, or at least gained the difference.* When you consider that it gets 3 times the sales it use to from these readers, it would seem that Marvel is willing to accept the loss.

* I'm using sales numbers from issues ASM 575 and 546 which are respectively 127,860 and 68,905. I'm assuming that the difference that would be introduced by adding the numbers for Friendly Spider-Man, Sensational Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man during a non-event month would be about equal to ASM 575. Numbers used are estimates but industry insiders, such as Robert Kirkman, claim that while they're wrong, they're consistently wrong meaning they can be used in a meaningful way for internet discussions.
    Buy List
    Adventures of Superman, Aquaman, Aquaman and the Others, AC, Batman Eternal, BM/SM, Detective Comics, Earth 2, Flash, GA, JLU, Superman, SM/WW, World's Finest

Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    if these 136 voters are a random cross-section of Spider-Man readers
    But it isn't, its a self-selected group that happen to visit a handful of Spider-Man related websites.

Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    I think that if nothing else, this survey indicates that the anti-BNDers are a lot more numerous than many folks on these boards perhaps suspected.
    I pretty much assumed there were at least 74 people who are anti-BND.

Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    Give it up. U dont like this spier-man? read USM
    Ultimate Spider-Man is married? Isn't he a bit young?
    Buy List