Page 5 of 114 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sun tzu View Post
    One thing that has had me wondering ever since I started reading the manga is...
    ...how realistic are the techniques?
    I'm not talking about the insane crap the masters pull. That stuff is typical "martial arts make you superhuman" anime fare. But the techniques Kenichi and (most of) his foes use seem...well, they seem like the result of the writer doing his research.
    They are to an extent.

A lot of the techniques Kenichi is taught are perfectly real. He just deploys them with speed and precision that just isn't possible in the real world.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Basically the same thing I was going to say. HSDK martial arts are based on real ones, just done to an impossibly precise and technical level.

Not sure about the sambo though. As a practitioner of it, I can say with some surety that we neither yell our attack names, nor call them anything really. Though it was kind of amusing to see Boris go all nuts with the Russian[some of it gramatically incorrect].

Wooo finally caught up with the manga, took me about a week once I got into it. Really liking that it's avoided the surpassing your mentors and rivals casually trope that a lot of shounen stories use.

Jaw Squad Member

On a semi-related note, am I the only one who wants to the manga end with Kenichi joining the (now defunct) Pride Fighting Championships and getting his ass kicked by Fedor?
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine~! View Post
    On a semi-related note, am I the only one who wants to the manga end with Kenichi joining the (now defunct) Pride Fighting Championships and getting his ass kicked by Fedor?
    What, as revenge for Boris or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    He's inherently a kind pacifist by nature, and is the type who doesn't use violence unless the situation calls for it (whether it's training or a fight for his life). That, and I don't think he's comfortable with the idea of fighting those he considers his friends.
    I've been thinking for a while on how to respond to this, because it is a good point... but then it struck me.

That's not realistic at all.

Kenichi, as often portrayed, are not what guys are like, at least not on Earth or anywhere I came from.

A ninety pound weakling scared of getting sent to the hospital is a pacifist.

But a powerhouse like he had become backing out of a good spar, or just some way to show off physical ability?

Christ almighty, that's just not real. Because let's face it, once you learn how to fight, unless you've been castrated, are not human, if you have any masculinity in you whatsoever, you've gotta have some itch to show off your alphamalenes at some frikkin point just for shits and giggles..

Jesus, I remember learning my first karate punches and kicks, everything that moved was a practice target for the next four weeks, and I was a seven year old with a poorly functioning left leg.

Anyways, that was my rant, please don't take it too seriously anyone. Because it still doesn't change the fact that I love the frikkin shit out of HSDK and Kenichi as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    They are to an extent.

A lot of the techniques Kenichi is taught are perfectly real. He just deploys them with speed and precision that just isn't possible in the real world.
    Yeah, I figure that in the real world, someone who can kick like early Kisara (or block the punches of a semi-pro boxer with her feet) or early Hermit would be world-class...

I've been thinking for a while on how to respond to this, because it is a good point... but then it struck me.

That's not realistic at all.

Kenichi, as often portrayed, are not what guys are like, at least not on Earth or anywhere I came from.

A ninety pound weakling scared of getting sent to the hospital is a pacifist.

But a powerhouse like he had become backing out of a good spar, or just some way to show off physical ability?

Christ almighty, that's just not real. Because let's face it, once you learn how to fight, unless you've been castrated, are not human, if you have any masculinity in you whatsoever, you've gotta have some itch to show off your alphamalenes at some frikkin point just for shits and giggles..

Jesus, I remember learning my first karate punches and kicks, everything that moved was a practice target for the next four weeks, and I was a seven year old with a poorly functioning left leg.

Anyways, that was my rant, please don't take it too seriously anyone. Because it still doesn't change the fact that I love the frikkin shit out of HSDK and Kenichi as a character.
    There's certainly some truth to that (I can tell, having recently started training in karate...And I still remember the one time I used a judo throw in real life)...but given what Kenichi is put through for the sake of his training, I suppose he's scared, even against foes he knows he could curbstomp.

Quote Originally Posted by sun tzu View Post
    There's certainly some truth to that (I can tell, having recently started training in karate...And I still remember the one time I used a judo throw in real life)...but given what Kenichi is put through for the sake of his training, I suppose he's scared, even against foes he knows he could curbstomp.
    True enough. I mean, what the hey, people differ.

Like I said, I wasn't really arguing.. just philosophising[what's life without it eh?].

Jaw Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deskad View Post
    What, as revenge for Boris or something?
    Nah, Kenichi just realises he's got no real job prospects and joins Pride FC to earn cash.

Then runs into Fedor somehow.
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

I did martial arts for about five weeks....before I switched over to Football. Just found it so much more fun.
    Have beer, will drink!

The new chapters out and it was awesome. I've been waiting to see what type of boxing Takeda has been learning from James Shiba and while it was brief it looked cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Deskad View Post
    True enough. I mean, what the hey, people differ.

Like I said, I wasn't really arguing.. just philosophising[what's life without it eh?].
    You realize that a good number of Martial Arts really don't help you in afight.
    Last edited by Kevin M.; 12-25-2008 at 06:06 PM.
    Have beer, will drink!

Merry Christmas, EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Nice to see Takeda finally get some love again, also the mustache bet added some added pressure on the two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Nice to see Takeda finally get some love again, also the mustache bet added some added pressure on the two of them.
    I wonder when James Shiba will fight?

I wanna see what master class boxing is all about.