Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

#20 Icarus
    First appearance: Rom Annual #3
    Last appearance: New X-Men #26
    Powers: Icarus had Wings for flight; healing blood; Magic Voice
    Creator: Bill Mantlo and William Johnson

Bio:
    Jay, the third oldest of the Guthrie clan always grew up in the shadow of his older brother, Sam. When Sam and Paige moved away, he moved to daddy of his kajillion bro's and sis's. What the hell does his mother do, anyway? There's always a kid taking care of her kids... N.E.Wayz, before Jay grew his wings, he helped his brother Sam rescue Lila Cheney, Dazzler and a third band member from a plane crash. Lila had been knocked out. Dazzler had ran out of the sound needed to fuel her light based powers. Josh, risking his own safety, played some music, giving Dazzler enough fuel to help blast an escape route.

When he developed powers of his own, he hid them from his family, but took a page out of dazz's book, and used them as a stage gimmick. He soon got entangled with a hillbilly princess named Julia Cabot, who they decided to break the mold, and not breed with one of their cousins, and fell in love. This didn't set well with Daddy/Uncle Cabot. And he went to war with the Guthrie's/X-Men. This didn't go well, with Julia ending up dead, and Jay wishing he were dead.

A little while later, he joins the Xavier institute, and has a fling with a cuckoo. But that didn't last long. He later joins the Hellions squad, but not liking them, ends up joining the New Mutants squad after a botched escape attempt for Wither. He stays with the New Mutants, developing an attraction for Dust, when, dun dun dun...M-DAY HITS!! One of the few remaining mutants alive, he retardedly goes to Bill Stryker, an evil evangelist, and has his wings amputated because he thinks God will grant mutants back their powers. Cutting his wings off also stops his mutant healing power, but he refuses to allow Josh (Elixer) to heal him, because he's weird for some reason. He goes back to Stryker's place, and upon revealing his true plan, Stryker shoots Jay. Killing him. How sad:(

Did you know?: His regenerative healing powers manifested when distraught over thinking that he had been killed by her uncle, his hillbilly “Juliet” dragged his body into a river so that she could die with him. She died and he awoke.

The D - Legion
    Vincente - Mondo -Risque - Scaleface - Kid Omega - Skids - The Neophyte - Flex

X-Poster of the Year 2008
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Poor Josef can't praise Icarus on his moment in the spotlight! Rough.

Well, Josh Guthrie is, hands down, my least favorite X-character, ever. Whereas I can at least make a joke about Surge not being able to take baths, or Feral's hilariously bad vocabulary, as she disembowels teammates to pass the time, they at least have some redeemable value for me, as being ridiculously poor team players.

But more than any character, ever, Icarus is the most counterproductive of Xavier's lot. He started out in what may have been a touching love story, that was a rip off of Romeo and Juliet... except that he lived, learning that somehow, his healing factor doesn't let him drown, or whatever. Oh, and said love story had him say nothing while his sister Paige effed a man twice her age in the sky above their mom.

Anyway, he's so hurt, wounded deep inside, that he's taken to Xavier's... where he immediately tries getting in the panties of one of Emma Frost's clones. At for the record, Mindee at least pegged him as a loser from the start, point for her.

So, then he hangs out with Squidboy, who shows him the ropes of the school, like he's a senior, or something. And where's Josh when Sammy Pare dies? Yep, back at the school, whining about the first dead girlfriend.

So, then Hellion recruits him, and the minute they try to do something productive, other than have Grabass with Sofia's squad (The pervy shot of him hovering outside Wind Dancer's window is a WTF moment), like save Wither from the FBI, what does Icarus do? Proves his wings qualify him as a stool pigeon, and he narcs to the teacher's staff.

Hellion boots him from his squad, and Icarus hangs around the school, being a classic "douchebag with a guitar" emo kid. And after M-Day, he got worse. Then he's on a kick saying God wanted all the kids depowered, and he decides that should include him. With the help of his #1 buddy Rev. Stryker, he went full emo, trying to rival X-23 as a cutter. He gets his wings amputated, and for some reason, he starts leaking crucial info about the depowered mutants to Stryker and the Purifiers.

Thus, RPG makes the bus go boom. Congratulations, ass, you just went and got 32 classmates whacked. You are dumber than dirt.

Oh, and your severed wings were full of fail, too. They didn't even have the stuff to make the Choir for X-Force to fight. Proving again, you are the poorest derivative of Warren Worthington imaginable.

And that's WBE's feelings about Icarus. He was one of the greatest threats to the X-Men... because they let him on the team.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

I loved Icarus. I was excited for him having a relationship with Dust. But alas, it is not to be. Maybe the Icarus that was helping Stryker was a skrull. Is it too late to hope for that?
    X-23|ROGUE|EMMA FROST|ARCHANGEL|WONDER WOMAN|OYA|PIXIE|THOR|STORM|MISS AMERICA

Draw Me an X: D-Legion: Vincente

Check out 2009's drawings at my new thread on the Artist & Writer Showcase.

"I prefer working out of strict continuity, because no normal human being can have a firm grip on the constantly shifting bardo-like territory of a comics universe, where entire histories can be erased by a strong enough super-sneeze."- Grant Morrison

BANNED

icarus was so fail. if feral had been around when he was at xavier's, she would have screamed something offensive at him and clipped his wings herself.

Quote Originally Posted by atoningunifex View Post

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    The D - Legion

BANNED

We need to find a colorist for all these sexy pictures. :o

You know what I liked least about Icarus??? Where the hell was his SOUTHERN ACCENT??? You can't be from Kentucky and not talk like a huge hillbilly! It's just not right!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
    You know what I liked least about Icarus??? Where the hell was his SOUTHERN ACCENT??? You can't be from Kentucky and not talk like a huge hillbilly! It's just not right!
    Emo's don't have accents. Just tears.

I bet Icarus worked long and hard (mmm...) to rid himself of the Southern curse. I bet the Guthries voted McCain.

Quote Originally Posted by atoningunifex View Post

just wanted to requote it, it's so pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cakes View Post

I bet Icarus worked long and hard (mmm...) to rid himself of the Southern curse. I bet the Guthries voted McCain.
    as a kid, I worked really long and hard (mmhmm) to rid myself of my southern accent. so it's plausible for me!
    The D - Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cakes View Post

lol. IDK, southern accents are hot. Of course, there's the stigma of being uneducated with the southern accent, but I like em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flash View Post
    as a kid, I worked really long and hard (mmhmm) to rid myself of my southern accent. so it's plausible for me!
    Jed, you are a little less hot to me. Get your accent back!

lol. IDK, southern accents are hot. Of course, there's the stigma of being uneducated with the southern accent, but I like em.

Jed, you are a little less hot to me. Get your accent back!
    LOL, with a name like Jed, I was self concious about it.

It comes back when I am drinking or tired.
    The D - Legion

LOL, with a name like Jed, I was self concious about it.

Then you should become a raging alcoholic!

Fortunately those are the periods Daggs is mostly likely to pounce!

Then you should become a raging alcoholic!
    just get me drunk or wear me out...
    The D - Legion