Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Ostrander Uses the Force in "Vector"

With the penultimate issue of Dark Horse’s “Vector” Star Wars crossover in stores this week, CBR News spoke with industry veteran John Ostrander about the events of “Legacy” #30 and the event's coming conclusion.

Full article here.

BANNED

Ostrander is a fantastic writer, and Legacy is one of the best comics on the stands today.

Period.

We're done professionally Bruce Wayne Jr.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    Ostrander is a fantastic writer, and Legacy is one of the best comics on the stands today.

Period.
    Agreed. He doesn't get the acclaim he should.

Vector's been a little uneven for me, but these last few chapters have really ramped things up. I'm looking forward to the conclusion.
    "Si vis pacem para bellum" - If peace is the goal, prepare for war.

"I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to." -George Carlin

"Small minds discuss people. Average minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas." -Eleanor Roosevelt

BANNED

Personally I feel like the (very) weak art in KotoR at the beginning of Vector killed off a lot of interest in the event. When it moved into Dark Times and Vader became involved, I began to get really pumped. Rebellion was decent, I was kinda worried for Luke there for a sec, but of course we all know he was going to come out of it okay. Not the case with Legacy, though.

Unlike Luke in Rebellion, we don't know what's going to happen with Cade in Legacy. This is one Star Wars title where anything can (and will!) happen. With Cade already teetering the light/dark side, the possibilities seem limitless. On one hand I want him to be a "good guy" Jedi, on the other hand I really do want to see him assassinate Darth Krayt. Is both possible? Guess I'll have to sit back and enjoy the journey with Mr. Ostrander. :]

I'm loving this series. It's easily the best "crossover event" I've seen in a long, long time.

I spent more time expressing my thoughts about the series on my blog. But the bottom line is this: here we have a self contained, big picture event that -- if I were a regular reader of the four different series -- does not feel like it's been forced upon me.

Vector is a Star Wars story that got me excited about Star Wars. That hasn't happened in a while. And as a new reader to Dark Horse's Star Wars comics, I didn't find myself feeling lost or overwhelmed by the continuity of each series as I was coming into the middle of it. Instead, I felt like I have been reading a fun, big, epic story . . . not a story that's been bloated solely to sell more books.

This last chapter was cool, and I'm looking forward to the end.

~ Ben

I admit I had my doubts about Vector when it first started in KotOR and I didn't follow it through the "movie era". But it all became crystal clear by the time it reached Legacy and I fully understood why it was called Vector. I wish more crossover events were more like this in which you didn't have to pick up every single issue to really know what was going on. Each crossover segment was really self-contained, yet they formed a much larger story together--sorta like the two movie trilogies...
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

as a big fan of Dark Horse's Star Wars, i really feel like Vector has been a bit of a failure ~ the opening chapter in KoToR (my first experience with the book) was abysmal, with art that really did not fit the tone of the story (which is almost a horror story). i also thought the characters were really unlikeable and the writing fairly pedestrian ~ i couldn't even read the last part, just sort of skimmed it. I think it was a huge mistake not putting a top-notch artistic talent on this chapter, to really set the tone and get people interested. It honestly killed (or at least severely wounded) my enthusiasm for the whole story.

The Talisman and the Rack*cough*werewolves*cough*ghuls seem really "out of place" in a Star Wars book to me for some reason. It just seems (for lack of a better term) way too "comic-booky". I do like the concept of the Jedi bonded with the Sith, but thats about it ~ the "rackghul plague" is just way to ridiculously overpowered and essentially undefeatable. I'm already tired of Stormtroopers turning into Rackghuls...

Dark Times faired quite a bit better, and it was actually a pretty clever device that the obelisk (was that what the box was called?) that everyone had been chasing earlier in the series was actually Morne. It didn't hurt that the art in that chapter was utterly jaw-dropping.

Rebellion and Legacy have both been decent, but i got (and am getting) a serious feeling of "spinning our wheels" in the stories waiting to get through this to move back on to the regular story. It just feels a tad too "manufactured" and editorially driven instead of organically fitting in with the goings ons. and the Muur talisman is entirely too much of a McGuffin.

It's also an EPIC FAIL on Dark Horse's part to launch this, brag about how it's new reader friendly and that it'll introduce readers to their Star Wars titles (and have major impacts on each book), and then essentially cancel (excuse me, put them on hiatus) 2 of them immediately following. Way to capitalize on any momentum you might have generated there... (i'm possibly a tiny bit bitter because i love Dark Times, and already read the Clone Wars at Dark Horse, don't need to read it again...)

John Ostrander and jan Duresma can essentially do no wrong by me though, so i'm hoping they can wrap this up with some quality and get back on to telling their story.

I'd like to suggest that in the future, if DH want's to do another crossover, limiting it to the "modern books" would make for something much more organic, since it's much more conceivable you could have one character living between the 3 time frames (Dark times/Rebellion/Legacy) since they already have several.

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post

Period.
    also, this = truth :D

Quote Originally Posted by artiepants View Post
    as a big fan of Dark Horse's Star Wars, i really feel like Vector has been a bit of a failure ~ the opening chapter in KoToR (my first experience with the book) was abysmal, with art that really did not fit the tone of the story (which is almost a horror story).
    Pretty much everybody hated the art (I didn't mind it), but I think if you had been following KotOR up to that point, you would have enjoyed the Vector issues more. The cache of Sith weapons became a major plotpoint later on, so these issues blended in well with the flow of KotOR's storyline.

The Talisman and the Rack*cough*werewolves*cough*ghuls seem really "out of place" in a Star Wars book to me for some reason. It just seems (for lack of a better term) way too "comic-booky". I do like the concept of the Jedi bonded with the Sith, but thats about it ~ the "rackghul plague" is just way to ridiculously overpowered and essentially undefeatable. I'm already tired of Stormtroopers turning into Rackghuls...
    The talisman is kinda cheap, but it fits with the Star Wars mythos of the Sith achieving immortality through dark and twisted means, as opposed to the Jedi who learn it naturally.

The rakghouls are actually more like zombies, and they aren't new. Their first appearance was in the original Knights of the Old Republic game. I thought their inclusion here was clever, but it did get gratuitous after a while.

Way to capitalize on any momentum you might have generated there... (i'm possibly a tiny bit bitter because i love Dark Times, and already read the Clone Wars at Dark Horse, don't need to read it again...)
    Dark Times, for me, hasn't maintained the quality of the first arc. I love the period, so I'm eager to see it return. Clone Wars, on the other hand, is a completely different book from Republic (I guess that's what you're referring to). If you like or at least tolerate the new cartoon, you might like the new Clone Wars comic.

"I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to." -George Carlin

"Small minds discuss people. Average minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas." -Eleanor Roosevelt

BANNED

It's also an EPIC FAIL on Dark Horse's part to launch this, brag about how it's new reader friendly and that it'll introduce readers to their Star Wars titles (and have major impacts on each book), and then essentially cancel (excuse me, put them on hiatus) 2 of them immediately following. Way to capitalize on any momentum you might have generated there... (i'm possibly a tiny bit bitter because i love Dark Times, and already read the Clone Wars at Dark Horse, don't need to read it again...)
    Amen to this!!! My sentiments exactly!! HUGE mistake on DH's part!!!

I almost get the impression that Lucasarts "stongarmed" DH into putting out this crappy Clone Wars comic tie-in, which in essence forced (no pun intended) them to put two of their best comics on hold.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne Jr. View Post
    Clone Wars, on the other hand, is a completely different book from Republic (I guess that's what you're referring to).
    Yeah....Republic was awesome and Clone Wars sucks...

he rakghouls are actually more like zombies, and they aren't new. Their first appearance was in the original Knights of the Old Republic game. I thought their inclusion here was clever, but it did get gratuitous after a while.
    ya know, knowing they've been 'canon' somewhere before actually makes me feel a little better about them ~ Zombies is a better analogy too (or kinda like the agents in the Matrix that could take over anyone...)

Dark Times, for me, hasn't maintained the quality of the first arc. I love the period, so I'm eager to see it return. Clone Wars, on the other hand, is a completely different book from Republic (I guess that's what you're referring to). If you like or at least tolerate the new cartoon, you might like the new Clone Wars comic.
    i liked the 2nd arc, although the art wasn't as good as the first ~ i think the delays REALLY hurt it. And i know CW is different then Republic i just meant that era had been mined and i couldn't get that excited about it... after the abysmal reviews the film got i tuned out on the new show...

Well, I'm that new reader they were talking about. And it HAS BEEN new reader friendly. I only found myself scratching my head a few times during Legacy. With KoToR, it was easy to just jump into and follow the action.

Of course, as a new reader I'm not aware of the plans/news for those series. That does seem pretty silly, but knowing what goes into publishing comics, I would imagine that they planned out this year long crossover long before they knew they were canceling/putting on hiatus those titles.

If I were in a better situation financially, I would probably be very interested in picking up at least the Legacy book, and possibly the Rebellion/Dark Times ones as well. However, as a casual reader with very little disposable income (hey, man, I've got mouths to feed!) I found this a fun diversion and (so far) a satisfying read -- partially with the knowledge that it has planned endgame in sight.

That always makes it easier for me to be willing to open my wallet. Planet Hulk was the same way, for me. Nice, compact story, not bogged down by arcane backstory. Just a new story with interesting characters I like. And it sounded like their plans -- to do Planet Hulk, and then World War Hulk, and then a third series to wrap things up -- were going to be the same.

Except World War Hulk grew into an "event".

And the third "event" got put on the sidelines.

When I read those early interviews with Pak, I was excited and ready to go along for the ride. But I got burned. Big time.

It makes me wonder. If I were a regular reader of any of the Star Wars series, would I feel burned after reading Vector? Sounds like maybe. But coming into it as I have -- completely new -- it's been a good read.

~ Ben

after the abysmal reviews the film got i tuned out on the new show...
    The movie WAS awful. I was pretty mad I spend money on that uninspired travesty.

But then I was given a disk with two episodes of the series, and I couldn't believe it was the same series!

Some episodes are online at Starwars.com, now. Free, I think.

Nothing, though, for me will ever match the awesome that is Tartakovsky's Clone Wars.

~ Ben

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingloon View Post
    But then I was given a disk with two episodes of the series, and I couldn't believe it was the same series!
    You're right! The movie was garbage, but don't let that scare you away from the show! At least give it a try!