Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Atomic Powered Superman frostedone's Avatar

Default Why won't Alex Ross draw Nightwing?

Why is Alex Ross against drawing Nightwing and Kyle Rayner?

Wikipedia said that he refuses to draw them? Does anyone know why?

It said he painted Nightwing for the cover of Batman 683 which I have seen, and for the DC Comics Encyclopedia: Expanded Version, but I have never seen it. The only DC Comics Encyclopedia that I have seen is the 2004 and the new 2008 ones. Is the Alex Ross Nightwing in the new 2008 one? I would love to see it, because Nightwing is one of my favorite heroes and Alex Ross is my favorite comic book artist.

Same reason he refuses to draw any Green Lantern but Hal Jordan or Alan Scott: it's because Alex Ross is a hopeless silver age/Superfriends era fanboy.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

He's strongly opinionated and doesn't want to associate his work with stuff that he doesn't support, which is entirely fair.
    I've defended Alan Moore for doing exactly the same thing.
    That said, I've found Ross' proclamations somewhat more petulant in tone, and he seems to be fond of getting his knickers in a twist over somewhat more trifling matters.
    Still and all, it is his right as an artist to accept or decline work as he sees fit.

He's a fanboy first, commercial artist second.
    Trust me. Why would I lie to you?

Vader Is My Homeboy thebhamgunslinger's Avatar

I may be in the minority here, but I've never really cared for his art. His covers are okay, but to me, his interior art is awful.

Comics as they should be! JTPencils's Avatar

I love Ross' artwork, it's his storytelling that I've always found to be a bit weak.

Maybe he just can't find himself a decent Nightwing model to use?

Batman Codpiece > New 52 Super Buddies Forever's Avatar

Nightwing is indeed one of the characters on the wraparound cover of the 2008 Encyclopedia.

I'm hoping this shows that Ross is getting more fiber in his diet and is, at the very least, coming around to the 1980's. Maybe he feels he can let old fanboy grudges go now that he has a kindred spirit in Dan Superfriends DiDio.

Honestly, Alex. Hal is back, so feel free to draw Kyle anytime.

Vader Is My Homeboy thebhamgunslinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTPencils View Post
    it's his storytelling that I've always found to be a bit weak.
    I agree. I made it through the first four issue so Avengers/Invaders before I decided I could care less about the story.

Oh I say we put Alex Ross in a cryogenic freezer for several decades or so the modern era is considered the new silver age or any other possible technique that might have the same effect

Well for some reason I'm not sure that it would be all that interesting considering Nightwing isn't it as colorful as some of the Golden/Silver age era costume so imagining him ala Ross doesn't sound to me like it add a lot
    Has to remember his suggestion for the traitor game

#17! RED/MRF/NKA/AMD/RZL/SHP/RHN/MIB/VF/ALC/ NWG/MN/HW

can you crack the code?

Quote Originally Posted by thebhamgunslinger View Post
    I agree. I made it through the first four issue so Avengers/Invaders before I decided I could care less about the story.
    You think that's bad, try sitting through his entire first act of "Project: Superpowers". Easily the worst comic series ever published.
    Superior Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man Team Up

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    He's strongly opinionated and doesn't want to associate his work with stuff that he doesn't support, which is entirely fair.
    I've defended Alan Moore for doing exactly the same thing.
    That said, I've found Ross' proclamations somewhat more petulant in tone, and he seems to be fond of getting his knickers in a twist over somewhat more trifling matters.
    Still and all, it is his right as an artist to accept or decline work as he sees fit.
    He threw a hissy fit on Kevin Smith back in 95 when Smith put Stan Lee in Mallrats and credited him for creating the Marvel Universe, without mentioning Kirby or Ditko.

I understand wanting full credit going to everyone, but it's a movie, for God's sake, one where the aforementioned creator is actually playing a role in.

The worst thing about Alex Ross is that he is apparently joined at the hip with Jim Krueger, one of the worst writers ever to write comics.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by HopeLantern View Post
    You think that's bad, try sitting through his entire first act of "Project: Superpowers". Easily the worst comic series ever published.
    Worse than Nightwatch, Annex, Solo, the MF Enterprises Captain Marvel, Rob Liefeld's Captain America, The Crossing, or Pop Mhan's Ghost Rider?

While I agree with pretty much everything said here about Ross I must say I can't fault him for having loyalties to certain characters.

He likes a certain era of comics. So what? We all have our preferred era and characters and I'm sure, if given the choice, most of us would rather read about those characters in that era more than anything else.

In Ross's case the only difference is that instead of reading a comic he's creating the art for one. He likes certain characters, and he favors a specific age in comic book history, I can't find any fault in that.
    "A wise old owl lived in an Oak,
    The more he saw the less he spoke,
    The less he spoke the more he heard,
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?
    "

We all have our preferences but to hear Ross talk about it, it's like they're real people or something.