Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Larsen First to Depict Obama as President Elect

In a piece produced exclusively for a Chicago website, Savage Dragon creator
    Erik Larsen became the first comics creator to depict Barack Obama in his new
    role as President Elect. In the one-page piece, Obama thanks the Dragon for his
    support.

Full article here.

Oh this is going to hurt.

I've long since grown tired of film and television always showing the president as noble and honest and wise. At least comics weren't afraid of portraying the pres as lying scum.

Not any more. Not only will comics also now follow the trend of having a wise and noble president, but use the actual president for it.

Guh.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post

I've long since grown tired of film and television always showing the president as noble and honest and wise. At least comics weren't afraid of portraying the pres as lying scum.

Not any more. Not only will comics also now follow the trend of having a wise and noble president, but use the actual president for it.

Guh.
    Dude--the guy's not even actually in office yet. Give him time to actually become lying scum before he's depicted as such. Sheesh. This one may actually turn out to be noble and honest and wise. Time will tell.
    --
    Erik Larsen
    Savage Dragon perpetrator

www.imagecomics.com
    www.savagedragon.com

Erik, tell me you're sending the original art to the President-Elect.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

That drawing looks nothing like President-Elect Barack Hussein Obama. That's surprising since Erik Larsen did a pretty good likeness of him on the Savage Dragon cover.

I've long since grown tired of film and television always showing the president as noble and honest and wise....
    That won't be the case in Bomb Queen.

Well of course, Jimmy. Can always rely on you.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmykitty View Post
    That won't be the case in Bomb Queen.
    Well I would be more shocked if you did portray him as noble, honest and wise!:)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Dude--the guy's not even actually in office yet. Give him time to actually become lying scum before he's depicted as such. Sheesh. This one may actually turn out to be noble and honest and wise. Time will tell.
    Eric, your being deluded. Just look at how the Obama won his state senate seat (he had the incumbent tossed off the ballet on a technicality) and US Senate seat (both his primary and general election opponents had their sealed, confidential divorce proceedings released, something virtually unheard of). Its hard to believe you can say with a straight face that a politician coming out of the Chicago democratic political machine can be noble, honest and wise.

Guh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redchief View Post
    Eric, your being deluded. Just look at how the Obama won his state senate seat (he had the incumbent tossed off the ballet on a technicality) and US Senate seat (both his primary and general election opponents had their sealed, confidential divorce proceedings released, something virtually unheard of). Its hard to believe you can say with a straight face that a politician coming out of the Chicago democratic political machine can be noble, honest and wise.
    Bias much?

Buy Savage Dragon!

Dude, learn to read more carefully. You'll probably find that Erik would respect your opinion more if you actually spell his name correctly. It's not THAT hard, surely? You've quoted it!
    - Gav

If you've ever thought about trying Savage Dragon but the high issue numbers intimidate you, why not visit the SD Wiki? You'll catch up in no time.

http://savagedragonwiki.wikispaces.com/

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Higginbotham, BotF View Post
    Dude, learn to read more carefully. You'll probably find that Erik would respect your opinion more if you actually spell his name correctly. It's not THAT hard, surely? You've quoted it!
    That's a rather unfair expectation for someone who hasn't yet mastered the distinctions between "you're" & "your," not to mention "it's" & "its," don't you think?
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Buy Savage Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    That's a rather unfair expectation for someone who hasn't yet mastered the distinctions between "you're" & "your," not to mention "it's" & "its," don't you think?
    True. I didn't want to go all the way into dissecting the post... mainly as I simply don't have the time! :)
    - Gav

If you've ever thought about trying Savage Dragon but the high issue numbers intimidate you, why not visit the SD Wiki? You'll catch up in no time.

http://savagedragonwiki.wikispaces.com/

My point is--people didn't start portraying Ronald Reagan as a doddering old fool until he became one and people didn't portray Bill Clinton as a skirt chaser until the word was out on that and George W. Bush wasn't portrayed as a nincompoop before he took office.

My point was--and is--that Barack Obama should be given the chance to show us what kind of president he is before he's portrayed as a crook or a liar or anything else. The guy gets a grace period. At this point he hasn't even been sworn in yet.

It's pretty clear whose side you're on in all of this. I suppose you were applauding the fact that I had George W. Bush show up a few years back and restrained myself from using actual quotes of his verbatim that would make him sound like an idiot. I tend to play nice with whatever real people show up in my book, feeling that it's unfair for me to put words in their mouths which they might not mutter. As much as President Bush trips over his tongue, he seldom repeats the same gaffs and he generally doesn't string them together.

I actually think that Obama will do a decent job. He was left a country in pretty sad shape and I think he'll make a sincere effort to make things better. There is the weight of history to consider here. What does he want the legacy of America's first black president to be?

The GOP went after Obama pretty viciously during the election and Obama and the Dems showed incredible restraint given the ammo that the right themselves dug up and used to oppose McCain earlier. Obama wasn't playing dirty to anywhere near the level his opponent was.

And like it or not--Obama is a smart man. He was first in his class--not near the bottom--he was an attorney. You don't get to be a Constitutional attorney if you don't know the law and the Constitution. But again--you're misquoting and misconstruing what I said. I said, Obama "mayactually turn out to be noble and honest and wise. Time will tell." I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt--giving him the opportunity to show what kind of President he is before I judge him.

That's me--fair and balanced.
    --
    Erik Larsen
    Savage Dragon perpetrator

www.imagecomics.com
    www.savagedragon.com

Eric, your being deluded. Just look at how the Obama won his state senate seat (he had the incumbent tossed off the ballet on a technicality)

But Obama was clearly the better dancer. He's part black and everyone knows black men have rhythm.
    Free your soul and let it fly....