Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Bullock & Michelinie on The Phantom Re-launch

Moonstone Books is re-launching their “The Phantom” title, and CBR News talks
    to writer Mike Bullock and creative consultant David Michelinie about the direction
    of and inspirations behind the new series.

Full article here.

I'm down with a more badass Phantom. I'm just not sure why there has to be less focus on his family.

But at this point I trust in Mike Bullock. He really steered the first volume in the right direction. So I will wait and see.

Oh...and Szilagyi is a keeper.

Here is hoping for a successful relaunch.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Happy to see they've brought in a well known comic book writer to improve quality. Is the title going to be cheaper now? How about putting the price as the same as Image? I'll try to follow this new series but if the price is the same as the last series and financials become tough this book is the first to be dropped.
    Last edited by vazel; 11-08-2008 at 01:50 AM.
    "You know the weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Bears pus and poison. Taints the world, makes God a lie." - Garth Ennis' The Shadow

I'm willing to give it a shot. Here is hoping that The Phantom can deal with the causes of Africa's ills instead of treating the symptoms.
    "Just this once, everybody lives!" The Ninth Doctor, The Doctor Dances.

This is going to be the best event since electricity (I am not being ironic here).

Seriously, it amazes me why not more people are ALREADY reading this book. Mike's run has been excellent from his very first issue, with no missteps I can think of. Also, Ben Raab's run was great too, with Chuck Dixon and Rafael Nieves filling in with excellent stories.

I hope the relaunch brings in more people, and gives the best costumed hero of them all the recognition he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Who Walks View Post
    I hope the relaunch brings in more people, and gives the best costumed hero of them all the recognition he deserves.
    Amen, Ghost, amen. :)
    LIONS, TIGERS & BEARS
    www.runemasterstudios.com

"The worship of safety emasculates greatness" - Max Lucado

"Complacency breeds failure." - Thomas Howard

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Who Walks View Post
    Amen, Ghost, amen. :)
    LIONS, TIGERS & BEARS

I'm looking forward to this also, but cautiously. I suppose it it good they brought in David Michelinie, (whose writing I have liked) but why did they think it necessary, I wonder?

The Phantom Annual is still on track, I hope. Are there other BIG plans for everyone's favorite jungle ghost in 2009? Any hints?

I finally was able to log on here, as Hallowman. I used to be Doc Holiday...

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowman View Post
    I'm looking forward to this also, but cautiously. I suppose it it good they brought in David Michelinie, (whose writing I have liked) but why did they think it necessary, I wonder?

The Phantom Annual is still on track, I hope. Are there other BIG plans for everyone's favorite jungle ghost in 2009? Any hints?

I finally was able to log on here, as Hallowman. I used to be Doc Holiday...
    Hi Doc,
    Good to see you again. David was brought on to add a veteran presence to the team. I'm still writing the book, but instead of only having a Moonstone editor go over it for typos and such, David reads it with an eye to enhancing the existing story. Having decades of experience writing comics makes him a great resource for someone like me who's only been writing comics professionally for six years.

The second annual is at the printer right now, so it should hit stores in a few weeks or so.

As for big projects, Phantom: Generations #1 was just announced. It's a maxi-series with one story featuring each of the 21 Phantoms. Ben Raab wrote the first one, Tom Defalco wrote the second and guys like Tony Bedard, Justin Gray, Mike Baron and yours truly also penned tales for this series. The first issue is scheduled to hit stores in March, I think.

After that, we have The Phantom Handbook coming later in '09. You can get a preview of it in the Zero issue of The Phantom: Ghost Who Walks, coming in January.
    LIONS, TIGERS & BEARS

Thank you, Mike. Generations sounds terrific--a comics dream come true.

I'm on board. Now, what about that "pulp universe" you once suggested?

Doc Holiday/Hallowman

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowman View Post
    I'm on board. Now, what about that "pulp universe" you once suggested?

Doc Holiday/Hallowman
    Joe and I were just talking about that this morning, but I think, as far as this forum goes, it's a discussion for another time & thread.
    LIONS, TIGERS & BEARS

Hey Doc,
    If you want to discuss the Pulp Universe, go here: http://www.moonstoneforums.com/showthread.php?tid=605
    LIONS, TIGERS & BEARS

Thanks, Mike. Done. Reply posted--two, in fact. See you here and there.

Doc Holiday