Default Vital, but not that vital, comics

Steven:

Maus is not the only comic to have won a Pulitizer. It may be the only comic book to have won the Pulitzer, but even if we use McCloudian definition of "comics" to rule out most editorial cartoons, the 1975 award to Gary Trudeau for Doonesbury would surely count.

And I'd also argue some of the import that you granted Youngblood #1. It's hard for me to see that as the thing that launched the great universe derby, when Image came a couple years after the launch of the Valiant Universe... which took some time to built up steam. Certainly, most of the universes that followed came much more in the Valiant mode, with tightly editorially-organized continuities, with early books contrived to lead to their own equivalent of the Unity crossover. (The Image model was much harder to emulate, as it relied on star power rather than line coherence.) The fact that both Valiant and Image succeeded helped encourage the smaller players, but you know that Comics' Greatest World was already in the works before Image happened.

moved to other thread
    Last edited by Buzz Dixon; 10-23-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Sandman #19:

The Sandman issue #19 "A Midsummer Night's Dream" won the World Fantasy Award in 1991 for Best Short Fiction. After that they changed the rules so comics can't win this award.

Also - I'd have to throw in:

Steranko's RED TIDE
    Will Eisner's A CONTRACT WITH GOD.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    The Sandman issue #19 "A Midsummer Night's Dream" won the World Fantasy Award in 1991 for Best Short Fiction. After that they changed the rules so comics can't win this award.
    Lots of comics have won awards, but, much as they'd like everyone to think so, I don't know that I'd call the World Fantasy Award a major award.

Steranko's RED TIDE
    I always liked RED TIDE and thought it was an interesting stylistic experiment, but I wouldn't call it especially significant.

Will Eisner's A CONTRACT WITH GOD.
    Personally, much as I adore Will's work, I always thought A CONTRACT WITH GOD was more a triumph of press agents than anything else.

- Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Grant View Post
    Personally, much as I adore Will's work, I always thought A CONTRACT WITH GOD was more a triumph of press agents than anything else.

- Grant
    In what sense?

Beyond what's between it's covers, I now little of the publishing history of the book, only that it puts him in contention for 'godfather/grandfather' of the graphic novel.

My only problem with the book is that the title story is the weakest of them all.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyGreenJerusalem View Post
    My only problem with the book is that the title story is the weakest of them all.
    I only really liked one of the stories (the one about the caretaker), but A Contract with God had the best title.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I only really liked one of the stories (the one about the caretaker), but A Contract with God had the best title.
    Well, my fave is Cookalein, and so I understand why they didn't name it after that one.
    ADVERTISE HERE!