Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Manhunter Canceled...Again.

Sad details are available (a bit) over at ComicRelated.com

Time to start writing some letters, folks!

Crap..........
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Goddammit!
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I wanted to support this book, I wanted to remain optimistic. But the last two issues (#34 and 35) simply weren't holding my interest. Unfortunately there's nothing I can point to and say "That's why I didn't like it" (such as bad art, bad dialogue, boring story, plots that go nowhere), because when I look at it with a critical eye it had very little to no faults. It simply didn't click with me :(

Well, this is dissapointing news I hope it can be saved again. Meanwhile i'm gonna try convince more people to buy it and to pick up the trades.
    Save Manhunter!

Maybe it's a sign from the Maker-of-us-all-in-the-Sky, that some things are just not meant to be.

Who knows, maybe its DC's way of trying to boost sales by announcing cancellation of books whose sales are sagging by the week.

Or maybe, DC's downsizing and trying to cut costs.

Ugh, why won't DC invest in this in the long term? Immediate fiscal benefit isn't the only measure.

If you can push, from scratch, a new character into the higher tiers then you've created a perpetual income source for DC. Given a long run, good advertising and cross promotion then almost any character could surge into the top ranks. If DC, and Marvel for that matter, want to truly expand their income then they'll want to make as many 'big three' type characters as possible and they can if they actually bother to.
    "All things are precipitated by the nature of existence. Nothing, therefore, is unnatural be it bee-hive or termite mound or all our shining, poisoned cities." - Promethea #31

Damnit DC!

Seriously, this is one of the best books I pick up every month. It's a shame they are willing to throw this one aside yet again, after claiming "We're behind Manhunter". What a crock. Expect an angry letter from me DC. Anyone know where to send these?

Karma ran over Dogma grphxkindaguy's Avatar

Damn, first Amazing Spider-Girl now Manhunter cancelled, both in the same week? Not a good time for titles that have been hanging on by a thread, sales-wise...

Quote Originally Posted by Flâneur View Post
    Ugh, why won't DC invest in this in the long term? Immediate fiscal benefit isn't the only measure.

If you can push, from scratch, a new character into the higher tiers then you've created a perpetual income source for DC. Given a long run, good advertising and cross promotion then almost any character could surge into the top ranks. If DC, and Marvel for that matter, want to truly expand their income then they'll want to make as many 'big three' type characters as possible and they can if they actually bother to.
    Well they can still grow the character with Birds of Prey. It is like TV shows if you don't hit the ground running you get canned. Same ith movies you don't have a good opening weekend you pulled and out on DVD (where at least you can still find fans)

In fact it makes a LOT more sense to me to grow a character in OTHER series first, before spinning them off onto their own.

A character needs to have a fanbase BEFORE they can support an ongoing. That's just cold hard fact.

Anyway I can't get the link to open right now, what's the last issue supposed to be?
    Last edited by Samy; 10-17-2008 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by celticguy View Post
    Well they can still grow the character with Birds of Prey. It is like TV shows if you don't hit the ground running you get canned. Same ith movies you don't have a good opening weekend you pulled and out on DVD (where at least you can still find fans)
    Except... I think BoP may be on the bubble, too. If its sales don't pick up soon, I think it will be getting cancelled as well.

While I'm sad to see Manhunter go, it's gotta be said: the title has been given every opportunity and then some to find a larger audience, and it simply hasn't. There's only so many chances you can realistically give before the bottom line has to kick in, and Manhunter has been way past that for some time.

Hopefully, they'll move her to someplace else so she doesn't go into limbo. BoP would be a logical place (assuming it survives); I also wouldn't mind seeing her on the new Justice League title.

Poor hacked Diamond Lil. Nevets F's Avatar

Sad to see my favorite DC title go...again. The biggest mistake was taking it off the shelves for a year, and then coming back with issue 31. That would pull in exactly 0 new readers. Before that, it had only been around for five issues, coming back from the previous 6 month (I think) lapse in issues. That is no way to treat a title at all.
    Read about the greatest series ever, Alpha Flight...from the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by celticguy View Post
    I understand that but most truly new series don't pull off the ground because DC and Marvel don't invest in them long term. I, as a comics reader, didn't know the Manhunter series even existed until a few months ago and right now it's one of the books that is convincing me to pull away from that pure Marvel-ite view I've had. There were ways to set this series up and make it last and DC didn't do it and they're not correcting their mistake either.
    "All things are precipitated by the nature of existence. Nothing, therefore, is unnatural be it bee-hive or termite mound or all our shining, poisoned cities." - Promethea #31