Page 232 of 282 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 4228

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I think it's too late to forget the run, it's already been touched upon by other series.
    For me personally, I'm not a fan of just deciding to ignore entire runs (even if I didn't consider them that good... in the case of Blade vol. 3 I didn't think it was as bad as some make it out to be).

If it happened, then it happened. Retcon it if you must, but they can't and shouldn't just pretend one day it didn't happen.

Its just 12 issues relax. And its barely be acknowledged in the marvel universe. His mechanical hand was aluded in one tiny speech bubble in MI13. I mean they change stuff with Blade all the time. He looks like Wesley Snypes to going bald to having this weird tatoos on his head.

Basically nothing from that run has been acknowledged in any other title.

I'm not one of those continuity sticklers. I don't need everything to line up perfectly or follow all of Marvel's titles to stay in the know. I just follow the characters and books I'm interested in. This run was not an overly defining one for Blade or anything.
    Last edited by Jabare; 02-25-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Its just 12 issues relax. And its barely be acknowledged in the marvel universe. His mechanical hand was aluded in one tiny speech bubble in MI13. I mean they change stuff with Blade all the time. He looks like Wesley Snypes to going bald to having this weird tatoos on his head.

Basically nothing from that run has been acknowledged in any other title.

I'm not one of those continuity sticklers. I don't need everything to line up perfectly or follow all of Marvel's titles to stay in the know. I just follow the characters and books I'm interested in. This run was not an overly defining one for Blade or anything.
    Is there anything specifically they would even bother needing to ignore though?

They're acknowledging the robot hand. Beyond that, I don't particularly see an issue one way or the other. If nothing specifically needs to be rectonned I think it's easy enough to just say it happened and move on. Unless there's something specific you think needs to be retconned away.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Is there anything specifically they would even bother needing to ignore though?

They're acknowledging the robot hand. Beyond that, I don't particularly see an issue one way or the other. If nothing specifically needs to be rectonned I think it's easy enough to just say it happened and move on. Unless there's something specific you think needs to be retconned away.
    I'd say ignore the robotic hand which is very easy to do. Other than that nothing I guess. I thought bringing back all the dead vampires was incredibly stupid, but if I've accepted OMD I guess I can accept that. Even though this was kind of a bigger deal it basically made all of Blade's prior accomplishments except for the ones in Nightstalkers meaningless. It was alluded that Blade has killed thousands of vamps and now they are back all of a sudden. Thats so unbelievably uncreative I don't know where to begin.

Really back to my prior point there is nothing that happened in that run of note. It reconfirmed Blade is old and had a run in with Wolvie way back. Aside we've got some Shield connections that really haven't amounted to much, and were really something that could be inserted into blade's past at any point if a writer deemed it necessary.

Doom was pretty out of character imo, and that storyline is easily ignored.
    Last edited by Jabare; 02-25-2012 at 09:14 AM.

I'd say ignore the robotic hand which is very easy to do. Other than that nothing I guess. I thought bringing back all the dead vampires was incredibly stupid, but if I've accepted OMD I guess I can accept that. Even though this was kind of a bigger deal it basically made all of Blade's prior accomplishments except for the ones in Nightstalkers meaningless. It was alluded that Blade has killed thousands of vamps and now they are back all of a sudden. Thats so unbelievably uncreative I don't know where to begin.

Really back to my prior point there is nothing that happened in that run of note. It reconfirmed Blade is old and had a run in with Wolvie way back. Aside we've got some Shield connections that really haven't amounted to much, and were really something that could be inserted into blade's past at any point if a writer deemed it necessary.

Doom was pretty out of character imo, and that storyline is easily ignored.
    Well, the robot hand is actually the one aspect of that run that was acknowledged. So it probably can't be completely ignrored. It can be reversed I suppose... it would just be a matter of figuring out some way for him to regrow his hand. Which I guess isn't too hard.

I could personally take it or leave it, but to play devil's advocate I suppose one could argue the hand is an "upgrade" powerwise.

Well there are a couple of cool plot threads that could be touched upon thanks to that run. Blade saving Dr. Doom's mother is one of my favorite and that could lead to an awesome story. Even though Guggenheim took a while to get Blade and his powers right, he did have some great ideas.

Thanks for the replies on Afari, guys. I always liked Whistler, but I felt that if they were going to change Blade's mentor in the anime Afari would have been cool besides a Van Helsing. Plus it would be nice to see a black guy mentoring a black hero for a change.

As far as i'm concerned, Blade can regrow his hand under the right conditions.. feeding on a very powerful self-healing foe would help (hulk, wolverine, thanos, magneto, red hulk)..
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 02-25-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Well there are a couple of cool plot threads that could be touched upon thanks to that run. Blade saving Dr. Doom's mother is one of my favorite and that could lead to an awesome story. Even though Guggenheim took a while to get Blade and his powers right, he did have some great ideas.
    Decent ideas, poor execution imo. I thought the series started out okay than went down hill midway through. I thought the idea behind Blade biting his hand off was great kind of reminded me of Aquaman in Justice League chopping off his hand to save his son, but I found the exection lacking.

Well, the robot hand is actually the one aspect of that run that was acknowledged. So it probably can't be completely ignrored. It can be reversed I suppose... it would just be a matter of figuring out some way for him to regrow his hand. Which I guess isn't too hard.

I could personally take it or leave it, but to play devil's advocate I suppose one could argue the hand is an "upgrade" powerwise.
    That is certainly an argument people like to make. Personally I'm anti upgrade so to speak. Too many upgrades and we start treading into that dbz, anime progression territory, which only works for a few characters.

I liked what Mark Millar did with Blade in the ultimate line witht eh whole hypnosis ability. Its not so much a power up, but there are a lot of ways a writer could get creative with it. Than say a robotic arm with a lot of weapons that has been over utilized in this genre imo.

I agree...it could've been a lot cooler. they did it better in the show in my opinion. When he got captured and chained up, he was strong enough to pul brikcs out of the wall even while weakened.

I agree with hypestyle on Blades ability to regrow limbs.

As far as that run/comic goes I though this was one of the least imposing/physically dominant versions of Blade.

Even pre-his power up he was a borderline berserker against his opponents

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1415566-blade_kills_super.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	88956

I'm not bashing Guggenheim here this is just a critique.

We did get that one Jaw moment where blade, ripped off that vamps head.

Other than that though he seemed to rely on his weapons a little more than his natural physical prowess as he had in the past.

Not necessarily a bad thing, even if that isn't exactly my preference.

I mean issue 1 he shoots Spidey in the kneecaps, and easily kills Dracula with a trick stake in his shoe. But in some of his fights he wasn't as physically dominant as we've seen him in other depictions.

like this for example:

Look back to his fight with Wolverine. Logan basically tosses Blade around essentially manhandling him the whole fight. Blade's sword's strikes and bullets were ineffective. Wolverine was pushing him back and knocking him around the whole fight. Not saying I thought Blade should have won but it should have been a little more even at least early on.

I felt the whole inject vampire blood than stake you line, would have been cooler if Wolvie didn't already have Blade on his back in a clearly dominant position prepared to finish things.

And the way he was illustrated. Didn't seem quite as physically imposing as he's been.

Not that the Wesley Snypes version was huge, but at least Wesley had that bad ass aura and swag around him, that you didn't want to step to him

I guess that was part of the problem for me. I'm not really a Chaykin fan. Its passable but far from ideal
    Last edited by Jabare; 02-25-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Look back to his fight with Wolverine. Logan basically tosses Blade around essentially manhandling him the whole fight. Blade's sword's strikes and bullets were ineffective. Wolverine was pushing him back and knocking him around the whole fight. Not saying I thought Blade should have won but it should have been a little more even at least early on.

I felt the whole inject vampire blood than stake you line, would have been cooler if Wolvie didn't already have Blade on his back in a clearly dominant position prepared to finish things.

And the way he was illustrated. Didn't seem quite as physically imposing as he's been.

Not that the Wesley Snypes version was huge, but at least Wesley had that bad ass aura and swag around him, that you didn't want to step to him

I guess that was part of the problem for me. I'm not really a Chaykin fan. Its passable but far from ideal
    The problem there may not really be that Blades power level are inconsistant but rather that Wolverines power levels are.

On a good day Logan can take blows from Hulk and keep coming back for more. I never completely bought that myself... but he's done it more than enough times. Street level guys can have good showings against a low to mid-level Wolverine... but if a high level Wolverine ever shows up in a fight, even the Hulk can't really keep him down for long.

The problem there may not really be that Blades power level are inconsistant but rather that Wolverines power levels are.

On a good day Logan can take blows from Hulk and keep coming back for more. I never completely bought that myself... but he's done it more than enough times. Street level guys can have good showings against a low to mid-level Wolverine... but if a high level Wolverine ever shows up in a fight, even the Hulk can't really keep him down for long.
    well my argument wasn't Blade should win or anything but the man has made a living off of beating superior opponents. I was looking for an entertaining fight at least early on. But from the get go, Wolvey was slinging Blade all over the room. Not even registering any pain from being shot or stabbed. He didn't even seem blood lusted or anything.

In terms of endurance, stamina and healing I give all that to Wolverine but in terms or strength there should not be a significant difference. And if there is a slight difference it should totally favor Blade.

Wolvies strength level should be that of your average human. Peak human at most. What bugged me about Gugenheim's run was his lack of understanding about Blade and other characters of his past. Its like the man just read Wikipedia than started his run. I'm still dumbfounded marvel went with Gugenheim over Ellis even to this day

Ellis was supposed to write his series in 2000, not the one in 2006. Guggenheim had a great run on Wolverine...but looking back it seems that he's just a huge wolverine fan and that didn't extend to Blade. In terms of power Ultimate/Anime Blade have been spot on. The only thing I like more about 616 Blade is his back story.

well my argument wasn't Blade should win or anything but the man has made a living off of beating superior opponents. I was looking for an entertaining fight at least early on. But from the get go, Wolvey was slinging Blade all over the room. Not even registering any pain from being shot or stabbed. He didn't even seem blood lusted or anything.

In terms of endurance, stamina and healing I give all that to Wolverine but in terms or strength there should not be a significant difference. And if there is a slight difference it should totally favor Blade.

Wolvies strength level should be that of your average human. Peak human at most. What bugged me about Gugenheim's run was his lack of understanding about Blade and other characters of his past. Its like the man just read Wikipedia than started his run. I'm still dumbfounded marvel went with Gugenheim over Ellis even to this day
    I haven't read the fight in a long long time so I may not be the best judge of it.

I don't recall seeing anything which I felt was completely unbelievable. But in the same breath I don't recall reading it and thinking it was a good fight. So it's probably more than fair to say it could have been written better.

But again, Wolverine is one of those guys whose power level is just all over the place. Him and Spider-Man are often horrible guages for power level, because they have so many ridiculously high and low end showings.