Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Jack!

CotM Member

Default Black Jack!

I just read he first volume of the new Black Jack translation and I LOVED it!

(RIce, have you read it yet?)

I also am reading DRAGONBALL for the first time, and really enjoying it.

Here's the question.... what "classic" comic series have you read, and thought "man! why have I not read this before? "

Veteran Member

I hadn't read "The Spirit" before purchasing Will Eisner's Sequential Storytelling book. There's some incomplete stories in there that leave you really wanting for more.

I was going to advise you to always split pairs of eights when I first saw the title of this thread.

I honestly haven't read too many comics that would be considered 'classics' lately. Actually, probably not even at all. Maybe I should start, once I get the budget.

I am open to suggestions.
    "You blew it! You blew it! Hear that video crowd? THEY HATE YOU!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Omega View Post
    Here's the question.... what "classic" comic series have you read, and thought "man! why have I not read this before? "
    The Locas stories in Love and Rockets. Never really gave them a try until 6 or 7 years ago.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

The Marvel Savage Sword of Conan series from the 70s. I picked up the first Essentials-style collection from Dark Horse a while back, and was floored that I'd never sought it out before. Great stuff, and such amazing art.
    Broke down laughing and screaming for more/If this changed your life, did you have one before?
    sketches - Updated 2/26/2012

Quote Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
    The Locas stories in Love and Rockets. Never really gave them a try until 6 or 7 years ago.
    Oh nice, I am going through those now. I had picked up Maggie The Mechanic a year or so ago, but couldn't really get into it. The sci fi trappings kind of turned me off. Recently, after some recommendations I got the Girl from Hoppers collection for the Death of Speedy story. Now I totally get what is so awesome about Locas. I am going back and reading that first one again ad I think i have a much better appreciation for it.

I have also recently finished Archie Best of the 40's and 50's, which was interesting since I don't think I have read any Archie since I was 13.

I also just got into Moore's Swamp Thing, but I don't know if that is considered "classic" enough. Its great, it started out pretty slow for me, but his voyage into hell to retrieve Abby really got me hooked on the series.

CotM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Helix View Post
    The Marvel Savage Sword of Conan series from the 70s. I picked up the first Essentials-style collection from Dark Horse a while back, and was floored that I'd never sought it out before. Great stuff, and such amazing art.
    Oh HELLS YEAH.

In my mind, that's the Real Deal Marvel Conan Run. The comic stuff was fun and all, but the magazine size B&W era is less sanitized, more lush and engaging visually, and just more hardcore all-around.

CotM Member

Quote Originally Posted by jessecuster3 View Post

I also just got into Moore's Swamp Thing, but I don't know if that is considered "classic" enough. Its great, it started out pretty slow for me, but his voyage into hell to retrieve Abby really got me hooked on the series.
    I'd say that's a Classic... heck yeah! I only read them as the trades were coming out, a few years back. Eye-opening stuff. As revelatory as FROM HELL, at it's best, damn good genre comics at it's worst.

GREAT run.

Oh HELLS YEAH.

In my mind, that's the Real Deal Marvel Conan Run. The comic stuff was fun and all, but the magazine size B&W era is less sanitized, more lush and engaging visually, and just more hardcore all-around.
    It's seriously just this parade of incredible splash pages and atmospheric backgrounds and dynamic characters. Some of the title pages for the issues are UNBELIEVABLE.
    Broke down laughing and screaming for more/If this changed your life, did you have one before?

CotM Member

Quote Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
    Did you get LOVE AND ROCKETS NEW STORIES #1 yet?

I'm about halfway through Black Jack. It's incredible. I want to worship the hands of Tezuka for drawing this stuff.
    Things My Students Say

Here Comes a Regular (the life of a boozer) UPDATED 8/18/11: 9C, depression, bluegrass, Charlie Day

On the broader topic, it took me too long to try Love and Rockets, too. And with Dodoro and Black Jack, way too long for Tezuka.
    Things My Students Say

Here Comes a Regular (the life of a boozer) UPDATED 8/18/11: 9C, depression, bluegrass, Charlie Day

I am still stuck on book 5 of Buddha.

CotM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rice View Post
    I'm about halfway through Black Jack. It's incredible. I want to worship the hands of Tezuka for drawing this stuff.
    Black Jack, more than anything else he's written, really digs deep into the personality of a very complex protagonist. You really never can guess what he's up to, or what he will do in any situation. He's that layered.

It's just amazing.

I really ought to read more manga. Or at least seek out the clearly good manga that's out there.