Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Tour LA with "High Rollers'" Gary Phillips, Parts 3 & 4 Crime and mystery writer

Crime and mystery writer Gary Phillips is back, giving you a tour of the Los Angeles locales his "High Rollers" mini-series takes place in. Today, we visit South Los Angeles and look at the graphitti in Pomona Creek.

Full article here.

These were a blast to do. Thanks to Gary and our DP, Miguel Caldera, for making this a reality.

I hope you all got as much of a kick out of these videos as I did making them!

Chip

Default Very cool idea to promote a book!

I don't know why other publishers don't try something similar for their new books. These videos give potential readers a sense of the real world settings that inspired the "High Rollers" stories. As a long-time L.A. resident, I have to say that even I was surprised to see some of the locations in the videos. The city is so large, spread out, and diverse that you can live 10 miles away from a certain place and never know it exists.

Nice work, guys!

Full disclosure - Sergio Carrera illustrated a short story of mine in Cthulhu Tales (#17 - pick it up, it's got story by Mark Waid in it too).

But High Rollers, and these videos are great.

The best crime stories don't just give you a sense of place - they own the place they are written. Gary mentions Baltimore and the Wire, Jersey and The Sopranos. High Rollers owns LA like the Shield owns it. Even for someone like me, living in LA more than half a decade, both the book and these videos make the world I live in both familiar and newly dangerous.

To be fair, traditional book publishers are doing trailers for their work, Griffin (see Brad Meltzer's Book of Lies trailer). But I haven't seen one in comics done this well. As a creator I should be so lucky that a publisher promotes my work as well as BOOM! is doing here (and, of course to write something as good as High Rollers).

Default OK, I'll bite

I wasn't going to pick this one up because I think the whole "gangsta" thing is so overplayed, but seeing the kind of thought that went into creating a sense of reality, well, yeah, I've got to give it a shot.

Reminds me of Raymond Chandler and some of the work that has been done to document the kind of research he put into making 1930s LA a real presence in his books. Looks to me like Gary has done the same thing, and anyone who can apply Chandler to modern crime stories, while hopefully adding a contemporary sensibility, well, I'll want to check them out.

OK, so when do we get more of these things from other creators? And when does Boom or somebody get James Ellroy to start writing comics?

James who?

That's me on the left.

In all seriousness, Ellroy did a bus tour in L.A. last Winter that my wife and I attended. I am a huge Ellroy fan. I didn't get a chance to ask him about comics, I am not sure he's a fan or not. But that's a great idea.

Back to Gary -- all of Gary's work is steeped in L.A. history, and Gary's unique perspective of that history. From his novels to his graphic novels, you really get an insider's look into that big sprawling metropolis.

Glad you guys liked the videos. More to come from BOOM!

Chip

I don't know if I'm suppose to announce this or not but after High Rollers BOOM!'s doing a new book called Gary Phillips: Bad-Ass Tour Guide.
    Writer of Darkwing Duck and Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers from BOOM! Studios. Please consider reading them, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brill View Post
    I don't know if I'm suppose to announce this or not but after High Rollers BOOM!'s doing a new book called Gary Phillips: Bad-Ass Tour Guide.
    I don't know if I should announce this or not for fear of losing my geek cred, but I'd probably buy that book.

And, Chip, whoa! You met James Ellroy? That's really cool - although I was only semi-serious about the guy writing comic books. Just don't see White Jazz making the jump to sequential art - although I never thought L.A. Confidential could make a decent movie, and it did at that, so who knows?

I like the special feature BOOM! did. That would be cool to see behind the scenes stuff on books, bide time between issues. I don't know how they'd do the audio commentary though... maybe as editor's notes?

Well, anyone who read Zombie Tales #5 can listen to my audio commentary for my story :) Dig it!

I think with Ellroy's clipped style it would be interesting to see him do comics. How would that work? A lot of small panels with various flashes of sex and violence thrown in?
    Writer of Darkwing Duck and Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers from BOOM! Studios. Please consider reading them, thank you.

Mark - it's issue #4 of Cthulhu Tales! Not #17.

http://www.boom-studios.net/cthulhu-...b-ongoing.html

C.

Well, anyone who read Zombie Tales #5 can listen to my audio commentary for my story :) Dig it!

I think with Ellroy's clipped style it would be interesting to see him do comics. How would that work? A lot of small panels with various flashes of sex and violence thrown in?
    I think a lot of Ellroy's magic is in the language itself. Which...that might work better in comics than in has on screen. I saw L.A. Confidential before I read the LA quartet, and I was amazed afterward that they were able to make it as good a movie as it was.

To the topic at hand...I really do want to hear more about Gary Phillips alter ego. I feel like a crime writer who uses an alter ego to research his work...that's a whole other comic onto itself.

Oh, and Ian, re: your Avatar: EXTERMINATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a lot of Ellroy's magic is in the language itself. Which...that might work better in comics than in has on screen. I saw L.A. Confidential before I read the LA quartet, and I was amazed afterward that they were able to make it as good a movie as it was.

To the topic at hand...I really do want to hear more about Gary Phillips alter ego. I feel like a crime writer who uses an alter ego to research his work...that's a whole other comic onto itself.