Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Ron Marz talks "Dragon Prince"

Ron Marz talks to CBR about "Dragon Prince," the story of an Asian-American
    teen whose life is transformed when he discovers he's the last of a race of
    shapeshifting dragons -- and he's being hunted.

Full article here.

So, um, how is this not a direct rip-off of the Disney series, "American Dragon: Jake Long"?

Child of both chinese and american heritage: check
    Transforms into a dragon: check
    Around 13 years old: check (Jake may be slightly older, but not much)
    Hunted by a mystical secret society determined to wip out dragons: check

Default MatthewC on the money

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this as a blatant rip off. Unless this 'new' version is directly connected to the Disney series. Of course then, The Life and Times of Juniper Lee was also a direct/indirect rip off of Jake Long as well.

"Dragon Prince" was pitched to Dark Horse prior to Jake Long ever being televised, and actually appeared in print in a teaser back in 2004. I'm told Jake Long premiered in 2005.

And, to be honest, I've never seen an episode of Jake Long.

I've never seen American Dragon either, but I'm gonna chalk it all up to being an "Armageddon" and "Deep Impact" kind of thing. Just because a story starts out with the same concepts doesn't mean the end result is the same.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marz View Post
    "Dragon Prince" was pitched to Dark Horse prior to Jake Long ever being televised, and actually appeared in print in a teaser back in 2004. I'm told Jake Long premiered in 2005.

And, to be honest, I've never seen an episode of Jake Long.
    I'll take your word for it but these two projects are way too similar not to involve a lawsuit somewhere down the road. How do you move on with this knowing that there's something already out there that's so similar?
    Last edited by BADunn; 09-11-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BADunn View Post
    I'll take your word for it but these two projects are way too similar not to involve a lawsuit somewhere down the road. How do you move on with this knowing that there's something already out there that's so similar?

As I said, pages of Dragon Prince were apparently in print before Jake Long was on TV. And though I've never seen Jake Long, I do think it's possible to tell different stories about kids with a family heritage of dragons. I'm interested in telling the story we originally set out to tell, not whatever kind of stories Jake Long tells. I think by the end of this, people will understand these are different kinds of stories.

As I said, pages of Dragon Prince were apparently in print before Jake Long was on TV. And though I've never seen Jake Long, I do think it's possible to tell different stories about kids with a family heritage of dragons. I'm interested in telling the story we originally set out to tell, not whatever kind of stories Jake Long tells. I think by the end of this, people will understand these are different kinds of stories.

Amen, Ron.
    Writer of Common Grounds, Twilight Guardian, and lots of other stuff. Nothing on the stands at the moment, but I've lost 35 pounds (probably from poverty).

An eloquent and tempered response to an otherwise, in hind sight, ignorant conclusion. So much so that I'm now willing to walk myself down to my friends comic shop and try Dragon Prince out for myself. Hmm, perhaps there's an argument here for the existence of some sort of unified consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Downe View Post
    An eloquent and tempered response to an otherwise, in hind sight, ignorant conclusion. So much so that I'm now willing to walk myself down to my friends comic shop and try Dragon Prince out for myself.
    You rock.

Let us know what you think.

Fair enough, and I'm sorry if my post came off as accusatory. I suppose I didn't really think you actually got the idea from the Disney series; I was just amazed at the similiarities of concept.

Not sure whether it will be good or bad for your comic sales, but 'Jake Long' was actually pretty good as animated series go. It had well-defined characters and a number of secondary plots that progressed over the course of the series. (Which ended after two seasons.) They even changed character designs between the first and second season to show Jake getting older.

I'll least flip through 'Dragon Prince' in the store and see if it looks like something I'd like.

OK, so I picked up Dragon Prince today with the intention of reading it and giving it a chance, then relaying my honest opinion whether positive or negative here on CBR. Well, I loved it. I actually was a fan of American Dragon and so can honestly say that only on the most superficial level are these two series similar. The only negative thing I can say about your book is that I now hear it's only to be a four issue series. Seriously, It needs to be longer, if not an ongoing. Well, regardless, I'm signed up for the long hall. I know it sounds like I'm blowing smoke up your posterior because I initially jumped to conclusions but I am being sincere. Thanks for your time and the great read.

Crap, that was a long response.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Downe View Post
    OK, so I picked up Dragon Prince today with the intention of reading it and giving it a chance, then relaying my honest opinion whether positive or negative here on CBR. Well, I loved it. I actually was a fan of American Dragon and so can honestly say that only on the most superficial level are these two series similar. The only negative thing I can say about your book is that I now hear it's only to be a four issue series. Seriously, It needs to be longer, if not an ongoing. Well, regardless, I'm signed up for the long hall. I know it sounds like I'm blowing smoke up your posterior because I initially jumped to conclusions but I am being sincere. Thanks for your time and the great read.
    Thanks for going to the trouble to pick it up. Glad you liked it.

Dragon Prince is slated to be a four-issue series initially. We definitely have more stories to tell, so if sales allow, we'll certainly do more. But that's, of course, a big "if" in the current superhero-centric market. Fingers crossed.

Many thanks to those of you who are going to check out "Dragon Prince"! Trust me Ron, Jeff, and Lee won't disappoint. They have many cool twists and turns planned for the initial four issue arc. And the artist who have contributed to the covers are a regular who's who of top comic talent - David Finch, Stjepan Sejic, Michael Avon Oeming, Brandon Peterson, Ryan Sook, David Peterson, and of course Jeff Johnson and Lee Moder. Thanks for joining us for a fun ride!
    Filip Sablik
    Publisher
    Top Cow Productions

Get Artifacts Volume 1 Trade for only $10!