Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: J. Torres Brings the "Family Dynamic"

J. Torres gives CBR the story behind DC's latest all ages superhero series, from
    its connections to Torres' previous creator-owned works to Tim Levins' greatest
    artistic inspiration, Mike Wieiringo.

Full article here.

Veteran Member

After reading this article, I'm actually confused:

"I'm telling it from an outsiders perspective, like a third person, and I think it was better to do that so we could focus on everybody a little bit at a time and let it open up. But there is a bit of a slant towards the three teenagers in the family.
    There are three teenagers in the family? I thought it was the Dad, Mom, and two sons.

All in all, it read like a good first issue. The characters that intrigued me most were actually the non-family super heroes: Defender, Blackbird, and Little Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    There are three teenagers in the family? I thought it was the Dad, Mom, and two sons.
    I'm not sure but this response may require a SPOILER ALERT.

The three teens are brothers Luca and Gio, the two elemental ring-wielding kids, and their (adopted) cousin Makenzie (the Korean girl) seen in the opening pages and later at school with them.
    Please visit my Blog and Facebook Page

I bought Family Dynamic #1 on the day of release. It was my most sought after book on Wednesday, after everything J. Torres has said about it. I haven't had the chance to read it yet (life & all that) but I should tomorrow. This title looks very promising.

Veteran Member

The three teens are brothers Luca and Gio, the two elemental ring-wielding kids, and their (adopted) cousin Makenzie (the Korean girl) seen in the opening pages and later at school with them.
    Ah, that makes sense! I guess even though she went home with them, I never figured out that she was part of the family because well--she was Asian....

Ah, that makes sense! I guess even though she went home with them, I never figured out that she was part of the family because well--she was Asian....
    She's their cousin. WHich adds a whole new (wait for it) DYNAMIC to the group!

Truly, I had been anticipating this book since I interviewed J. about it over at comicbloc.com and I couldn't wait to review it here.

A book well worth the $2.25. It fills that expectation for a nice all ages read quite well.

Veteran Member

Truly, I had been anticipating this book since I interviewed J. about it over at comicbloc.com and I couldn't wait to review it here.

A book well worth the $2.25. It fills that expectation for a nice all ages read quite well.
    It was definitely good enough to warrant giving the series a try in my opinion. I think they should have marketed this book as part of the DC line and not a Johnny DC title though...

I haven't heard of this book until it arrived at the store on Wednesday (that's what I get for not helping do the orders for the DC books that month), but the book immediately grabbed my attention. I read it and I enjoyed it a lot. Now this is how you do a TRUE ALL AGES superhero comic that DOES NOT talk down to the readers. Books like THE FAMILY DYNAMIC,YOUNG JUSTICE,SPIDER-GIRL (and the other MC2 Universe books),and just about any code approved pre Quesada and Jemas Marvel comic book "gets it" and understands how to do TRUE all ages comics that don't talk down to the readers. The same thing can't be said about other "all ages" comics put out by the Big 2.

All in all, it read like a good first issue. The characters that intrigued me most were actually the non-family super heroes: Defender, Blackbird, and Little Wing.
    After reading the 1st issue and the interview with J. Torres, I have a very strong feeling that Defender,Blackbird,and Little Wing are also part of the family. I'm willing to bet that Makenzie is Little Wing,her adopted mother is Blackbird,and that Defender and Blackbird will get married. This is really truely original and unique take on the whole superhero family.

OMT, am I the only one who thinks that this book would make a great animated series?

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    OMT, am I the only one who thinks that this book would make a great animated series?
    No, I can think of at least two other people who that would be brilliant
    Please visit my Blog and Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by J. Torres View Post
    No, I can think of at least two other people who that would be brilliant
    OK, I have to ask, have you guys been in talks with anyone about making an animated FAMILY DYNAMIC series?

The Family Dynamic #1

"Into the Light of the Dark Black Night"

I finally read my copy of issue one. It was a delightful adventure, filled with humor and interesting hints at past (and future) members. I felt that writer J. Torres captured teen dialogue very well here, especially in the opening pages. The scene at the "24-7" was cute. "Sheroes"--is that a new word?? I felt that the creative team did a nice job of showcasing the members powers. Though the issue is not heavy on battle scenes.

Much of #1 is a friendly meeting with Defender, and members of the Family Dynamic in their home. We readers learn there is a long, intricate history with the Family Dynamic, and the issue hints to many relationships and characters not yet seen. I wonder if J. Torres plans to slowly unveil more of the backstory of this unit? As I found it all fascinating. Tim Levins impresses throughout, and there are several amusing touches. Alpha Flight's Guardian makes an amusing cameo in a photograph! Cool!! My favorite depiction by Tim Levin was Pyralis' father, now retired from the Family, peering into a museum case of an old uniform. His face silhouetted by the glass, the father's head "appears" to be wearing the mask. A highly memorable shot by Levin.

#1 leaves many secrets barely touched on. I want to learn more about Black and Little Wing. I want to learn about the unique rings which automatically fit their wearer. I'd love to explore the history of the Family Dynamic. I enjoyed Family Dynamic #1 very much, and hope to see more. I'm rarely so impressed with a debut issue of a comic. Is there a way I can contact DC Comics and inform them of my support for this book?
    Last edited by david r; 08-29-2008 at 08:19 PM.

Default Family Dynamic

I wish the interviewer had asked J. Torres why the series (which was originally announced as a six issue series) was shorted to three issues.
    Was the original pitch for six issues? Was the mini-series originally written for six issues --- and if so, how did the changes to the story structure affect the primary plot?

I believe pre-orders from retailers were so small for Family Dynamic, that DC Comics shortened the series to only 3 issues.