Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: FAN EXPO: A Guide to Your DC Universe

Dan Didio led the DC: A Guide to Your Universe panel at Fan Expo where
    it was revealed the publisher had plans for at least two more weeklies to follow
    “Trinity” and that Bart Allen may not be dead.

Full article here.

No validation on Jim Shooter and the Legion??? What does that mean? yes or no?

Sorry, Mr Van Sciver, I was right there with you until you called Barry Allen "the king of the Flashes". I mean really.
    Last edited by Ilash; 08-25-2008 at 12:30 PM.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

It's more than the cape. batmansgirl's Avatar

Thanks so much, CBR, for this very detailed report! Now some of my responses...

Didio confirmed there is not one but two weekly series in the works to follow “Trinity,” that James Robinson is working on a “Justice Society of America” project and that Matt Sturges will be penning a villain centric series that will be announced soon.

I think the reporter who wrote this meant to say that Robinson is working on a Justice League ongoing (separate from the current JLA ongoing) and made a mistake in the above paragraph. Or was this new piece of information announced earlier at another panel somewhere and I just missed it?

As the discussion once again turned to death, Didio said there were three characters he had difficulty seeing coming back to the land of the living: Ted Kord, Ralph Dibny and Sue Dibny.

Oh come ON, Dan! It's simple! Put Teddy back in the Booster book where he belongs and have Greg Rucka write a nifty Ralph/Sue "Ghost Detectives" mini series! Seriously, how can anyone go wrong with that??

Didio said Grant Morrison’s “Final Crisis” and Kurt Busiek’s “Trinity” will, once everything is said and done, tie-in one another. “The story of ‘Trinity’ takes place prior to ‘Final Crisis’ but the events from ‘Trinity’ will play out following ‘Final Crisis,’ so it [‘Trinity’] does have repercussions.”

What if people don't like Trinity at all? Won't forcing FC to tie into Trinity and vice versa just make FC even worse? I really don't like Trinity and I'm very confused to how FC is going so far, so I don't think I like the idea of those two mini series tying into each other like that. It sounds like Dan wants to tie Trinity into FC probably because Trinity's sales are so bad (thanks to the bad writing).

I hope those "big plans" for Dick Grayson are GOOD, *character-focused* plans! I don't want anything else bad to happen to one of my favorite Boy Wonders...

Thumbsup in approval to the Black Lightning Year One; should be pretty interesting. I just wish there was a sequel to Teen Titans: Year One. *That* was a surprisingly good Year One series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilash View Post
    Sorry, Mr Van Sciver, I was right there with you until you called Barry Allen "the king of the Flashes". I mean really.
    Van Sciver is into this King thing. In a recent interview he said Barry was King Arthur and Wally was Lancelot. Lancelot was always cooler than Arthur. lance even stole Arthurs wife and kicked everybody's a$$ that went after him.

"Trinity's sales are so bad." Where in the world did this little factoid come from. Obviously not any of teh monthly sales figures I have seen. No it is not a top ten but far from having "bad" sales figures. Please check facts prior to posting and do not get facts confused with opinion. we now return you to your regular program....

Quote Originally Posted by Nakomah View Post
    No validation on Jim Shooter and the Legion??? What does that mean? yes or no?
    I think it means that the rumors of Jim Shooter walking off the book and then coming back didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by batmansgirl
    As the discussion once again turned to death, Didio said there were three characters he had difficulty seeing coming back to the land of the living: Ted Kord, Ralph Dibny and Sue Dibny.

Oh come ON, Dan! It's simple! Put Teddy back in the Booster book where he belongs and have Greg Rucka write a nifty Ralph/Sue "Ghost Detectives" mini series! Seriously, how can anyone go wrong with that??
    Ted has to stay dead for right now, because his death set all this up. It was Geoff Johns call to keep him dead, but you also see that it is possible for Ted to come back as we saw in Booster Gold #1,000.000. And writing a mini-series wtih the Ghost Detectives is not the same as their still being dead. Didio said that they're staying dead. He didn't say that they couldn't have a mini-series. We're seeing them right now in "To Regin In Hell", afterall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    I think it means that the rumors of Jim Shooter walking off the book and then coming back didn't happen.

Actually, I think just the opposite is the case.

First off, a big thanks to CBR for covering this convention. You guys seem to be the only ones who did so, and a couple of interesting tidbits came out of it that I otherwise may not have become aware of were it not for your reports.

As for the panel itself, no surprise this caught my attention:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan DiDio
    The executive editor also said the recent “Hawkman” Special by Jim Starlin was an effort to test the waters for the character. “It was to create an air of mystery around the character and to create questions around the character. With the chance that people might get interested and discuss the character and want to read about him further down the line."
    I'm going to take this to mean that any changes alluded to by the Special are far from set in stone at this point, and considering fan reaction coupled with this statement, I'm now anxious to see if DC will actually move forward with the storyline or not. And while I've been one of seemingly few willing to wait and see where the story's headed before crying foul, I've also no problem whatsoever with just leaving well enough alone. Time will tell which direction DC ultimately decides to go in, I guess, but I hope it becomes apparent soon.
    Check out my Hawkman Blog:The Stonechat Museum!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I'm going to take this to mean that any changes alluded to by the Special are far from set in stone at this point, and considering fan reaction coupled with this statement, I'm now anxious to see if DC will actually move forward with the storyline or not. And while I've been one of seemingly few willing to wait and see where the story's headed before crying foul, I've also no problem whatsoever with just leaving well enough alone. Time will tell which direction DC ultimately decides to go in, I guess, but I hope it becomes apparent soon.

Problem there is that if they decide to stay with and leave the Johns story alone... they just blew HELLACIOUS plot holes into it.

Quote Originally Posted by echopryme View Post
    Problem there is that if they decide to stay with and leave the Johns story alone... they just blew HELLACIOUS plot holes into it.
    Not necessarily. You just say Demiurge was lying the whole time and the reaching into Hawkman's head was the source of Carter's confusion thereafter with regards to Khufu and his other past lives. True, someone will have to address the Special either way no matter which approach DC decides to go with, but I believe Starlin left a wide enough window open to provide himself or someone else an out if need be.

However, DC needs to lock down what they want to do fast before any more potential damage is done. If they want to move ahead with Starlin's storyline, that's fine with me. But they need to be resolute in their decision beforehand, because if they start piling on stories defining Hawkman now as Katar and then later decide that Johns' version of Carter was the better rendition, they'll only muck things up further trying to go back after the fact.
    Check out my Hawkman Blog:The Stonechat Museum!

Default Reply to DCU

Point one: struggling sales for Jonah Hex!!!

BUY JONAH HEX, it is a great comic, well written, moody, and free from the meddling of the DCU grand events. Didio scares me that steps are being taken to have longer story arcs, the next thing you know we will have Final Crisis tie ins. Nobody should want that on a great book.

Point Two: Trinity will fit into Final Crisis, sigh, of course it will, the DCU has been mired in one long giant crossover since Identity crisis, with unresolved plot points left hanging as the train keeps rolling. Maybe no one can FINISH a story? Or is it just fear that if the story ended, people would quit buying the books?

Point Three: Hawkman. I don't know about you but Starlin's "testing the waters" special is not going to get people to buy Hawkman. One it was horrible (wait, this character may not be who you think he is, he may be somebody else whose series got so bad they had to blacklist the character???!), Two: I'm not sure if anyone who didn't already want a hawkman book is even buying Rann Thanagar War or the Hawkman special (OK, cept for the Adam Strange folks). Three: And it was boring, talking heads, The Demiurge, quasi-mystical cosmic wha?- the only thing Starlin seems to have in his bag of tricks. Look at what he did to the Captain Comet portrayed so well by Dave Gibbons, dead, cosmic whatsis, and oh, I am relaunching a classic character but I am going to tie him into these wasted characters I developed decades ago (Weird, Hardcore Station). So, if they want to Test Hawkman, get somebody to pull out all the stops, not run over the same old ground in a boring talking heads story.

Point Four: Geoff Johns, Hal Jordan, Return of Barry Allen. I am tired of Johns writing half of the DCU and making decisions about other titles. He may be a superstar, but frankly, the DCU needs depth and breadth, not two or three people putting their fingers in everything. I mean if you don't like Johns (and I don't) then you don't like a big chunk of what is going on at DC. Plus, even if you like him, all the books start to blur together, with the same structure, tone, and even story points. Right now, DC just seems to be putting all their chips on his formula (and Grant's...)

Green Lanter Sector 0616 Raker616's Avatar

As someone who reads most of Geoff's book you couldn't be more wrong, the only thing that JSA, Green Lantern, Booster and LOSH is that they are all better than everything else being put out by DC.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Quote Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
    As someone who reads most of Geoff's book you couldn't be more wrong, the only thing that JSA, Green Lantern, Booster and LOSH is that they are all better than everything else being put out by DC.
    I wholeheartedly agree, not to mention his spectacular Action Comics work.