View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in

0 0%

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Niles

BANNED

Default Steve Niles

Perennial Hack or Modern-day Comics' King of Horror?

I voted king of horror comics cause he is far from being a hack.

One of few comic writers who cares to write quality horror stories.

With Ben Templesmith art he is almost perfect.

BANNED

yeah...didn't allow for much middle ground on this one.

here's my thing....i read some of his work, and i'm thoroughly impressed, then i read some of his other stuff and i feel like i've just read something that was put together to make a deadline.

I loved The Lurkers w/ Hector Casanova, Secret Skull w/ Chuck BB, Aleister Arcane, most of Cal McDonald, and of course 30 Days of Night w/ Templesmith(who's coming into his own as a writer since he started w/ singularity 7).....it's his other stuff in between that i'm least impressed with....and more of his recent work seems sub-par to me, i guess. Does anyone remember the Marvel Monsters special he did in 05?...that wasn't good at all.

I'll vote Hack because I wasted 2.50 on Strange Cases, and that's 2.50 I could have this month.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 40footwolf View Post
    I'll vote Hack because I wasted 2.50 on Strange Cases, and that's 2.50 I could have this month.
    in all fairness, that was a steve niles concept, written by dan wickline.

I voted king of horror simply because of 30 Days of Night. He needs to do something different with Simon Dark though. I swear it would be so much better as a Vertigo title.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

I read the first two 30 Days of Night novels, and I think he did a damn good job on those, as well as the comic. I'm also looking forward to Epilogue, it should be fun. I just wish IDW's titles were easier to find locally.

When it comes to comics he may very well be the king of horror. He's done wonderful things with vampires. And after Rice and Whedon turned vampires into pansy assed lil fools, it's refreshing to see a writer do it right.
    Current Pull List: The Walking Dead and Revival

Truly one of the more obnoxious polls I've seen on comic sites. Black Vespa gets the "Poll Jerk" award.

That said, I think Steve is a better writer than he often gets credit for. Someone in this thread previously said, "i read some of his work, and i'm thoroughly impressed, then i read some of his other stuff and i feel like i've just read something that was put together to make a deadline." Is that not true of EVERY comics writer out there? That's kind of an obvious statement.

Steve is responsible for reinvigorating interest in horror comics. "30 Days of Night" lead the way for a lot of other books. "Freaks of the Heartland" is possibly his best book. "Simon Dark" is surprisingly good (I say surprisingly not because of anything to do with Steve, but because I've not found much from DC exciting recently). And I always pick up a book with his name on it -- I don't always purchase them, but I always give his work a chance.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

I've enjoyed Dead She Said, but I'm not too fond of Gotham After Midnight. I loved 30 Days of Night and I always look forward to new Criminal Macabre. I like most of Steve's work.

I also liked his episode of Fear Itself that played on NBC recently. I wouldn't say that Steve Niles is a master story teller, but he is certainly no hack. I'm sure he'll get better with time.

BANNED

that's not an obvious statement, sir. That's an opinion. But thanks for bringing it up...b/c on further thought, perhaps he should lighten his workload. That might yield a better quality product.

In regards to the poll, and you feeling that it was obnoxious, i hate that you feel that way. In comic stores when his name is brought up it evokes a certain polarity, either people like him or they don't. I kind of covered both ends of the spectrum with the choices...but on 2nd thought maybe i should have given a more neutral choice as well.

I admire alot of Niles' work. I enjoy reading most of what i have read, but when it comes to this poll, i guess i honestly wanted to see what others had to say.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    Truly one of the more obnoxious polls I've seen on comic sites. Black Vespa gets the "Poll Jerk" award.

That said, I think Steve is a better writer than he often gets credit for. Someone in this thread previously said, "i read some of his work, and i'm thoroughly impressed, then i read some of his other stuff and i feel like i've just read something that was put together to make a deadline." Is that not true of EVERY comics writer out there? That's kind of an obvious statement.

Steve is responsible for reinvigorating interest in horror comics. "30 Days of Night" lead the way for a lot of other books. "Freaks of the Heartland" is possibly his best book. "Simon Dark" is surprisingly good (I say surprisingly not because of anything to do with Steve, but because I've not found much from DC exciting recently). And I always pick up a book with his name on it -- I don't always purchase them, but I always give his work a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Vespa View Post
    In regards to the poll, and you feeling that it was obnoxious, i hate that you feel that way. In comic stores when his name is brought up it evokes a certain polarity, either people like him or they don't.
    But how is that unique to Niles? Outside of maybe Alan Moore, I don't love everything my favorite creators make. Warren Ellis is hit or miss with me. Garth Ennis is usually hit, but I'm not a fan of his war stuff. Love Geoff Johns' work with Superman, not as much of a fan of Green Lantern.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    But how is that unique to Niles? Outside of maybe Alan Moore, I don't love everything my favorite creators make. Warren Ellis is hit or miss with me. Garth Ennis is usually hit, but I'm not a fan of his war stuff. Love Geoff Johns' work with Superman, not as much of a fan of Green Lantern.

by no means am i saying that it's unique to niles....I'm just wanting to get an idea of what others thought about it is all.

I really like his stuff. He's one of the few writers that I like most everything he's done.

I say most because I wasn't too big on a few of his Clive Barker adaptations, but I blame that more on Barker than Niles.

Default Niles=rad

I'm a huge fan of Steve Nile's work. In fact, I'm working on a critical graduate paper using 30 Days of Night as my source material. I find it deep with metaphor and entirely entertaining. Niles is far from a hack.

Criminal macabre and 30 days of night were excellant. Everything else I have read by Niles is pure dross. He hacks a multitude of comics each month.