Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default MERGE: The Blue Marvel

Kevin Grevioux and Mat Broome will team on "Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel," a six-issue miniseries starting in November based on an original concept by Grevioux, set squarely in Marvel Universe.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17398

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

Maybe when this is all over he and The Sentry can get together and talk about all their old super popular adventures no one seems to remember and their overpowered abilities (and of course, self esteem issues).

It would make a good one shot.

Blue Marvel vs The Sentry: "You sound kind of familiar"
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

It's kinda funny. The idea reminds me of one of the characters adapted for the 90's Spider-Man toon.

They used the Black Marvel as one of Six American Warriors.

There they revealed that the Black Marvel who was thought to be white, was actually black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Marvel
    http://www.toonopedia.com/blmarvel.htm
    http://marvel.toonzone.net/spideytas/bios/heroes/sfw/
    Last edited by Beast; 07-25-2008 at 10:20 AM.
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

Sure have been an awful lot of retcons over at Marvel lately. This sounds like it combines all the worst aspects of the Sentry and Truth, but I'll try to keep my mind open when it actually shows up.

Should have called it "Black Sentry."

Marvel: Rewriting Fake History Everyday.

What's going on? Another Gruewald character they replace, huh?!

Blue Marvel-

I think its great to see a project like this. Along with a War Machine ongoing it is a great step towards increasing diversity in comics. A first step, but there are a lot more groups out there for progress to be made for as well.

But in any case the rationale for Blue Marvel disappearing from the scene is a plausible one. I believe a lot of our fellow fans have been hoping for a character like Blue Marvel for some time.

Maybe I am wrong - but in any case it will come down to the quality of this series in terms of concept, writing and art. Something its a bit too early to make a call on.

Sounds decent.

But the thing i don't get is that it takes place in the 60's, right?

But with the sliding timeline, the Avengers only formed in the mid 90's....

How does that work?

Elder Member

Sounds interesting. I just hope that Kevin G avoids the pitfalls we've had with Sentry.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel K View Post
    Sounds decent.

But the thing i don't get is that it takes place in the 60's, right?

But with the sliding timeline, the Avengers only formed in the mid 90's....

How does that work?
    It sounds like it starts in the '60s and then jumps to the present day. Or something like that.

In any case, it should be pretty interesting. I love the costume design. Kaare Andrews always does nice work.
    Expletive Deleted

This can go one of two ways.

If done right he can add an interesting mix to the Marvel Universe. Supers have existed throughout Earth's history, but usually in very minute numbers and tended to be dismissed as either witches or something along those lines. Most of them were not that powerful. Also, the "modern age of marvels" began only about 10-15 years ago so a super being a hero decades earlier has room.

On the other hand, it risks becoming just another Sentry if he is the only one that can win due to being "more powerful than anyone else" and the "first hero" who "inspired everyone else." I'm not saying he can't be powerful or an inspiration, but Sentry was launched along similar lines.

Also, by evolving race like this series seems to be planning you risk it turning into another "all white men are evil" things.

Quote Originally Posted by seekquaze View Post

Also, by evolving race like this series seems to be planning you risk it turning into another "all white men are evil" things.

I don't see why you say that. If it's based on events that happened in real life, and it's just incorporating it into the Marvel U., then I think the concept is really interesting. You can't ignore history...what happened happened. WWII is a part of the MU Mythos, so why shouldn't the Civil Rights movement be one?. This sounds really cool:

"I've had Blue Marvel in my head since I was a kid. And what kid fanboy doesn't dream of creating a major hero for his favorite comic book company," said Grevioux. "But it's the backstory that I've created for the character that makes him really interesting. He's a man caught between two worlds. On one hand he's a superhero who fights evil and injustice in all its myriad forms, but on the other hand, he's a black man who has to be careful about how he fights the injustice done to his own people."

"He's not a hero for blacks, but a hero for everyone. That presents a particular burden for him because he sees no end to the oppression of his people in sight and something needs to be done. But if he does it, as a black man, he immediately becomes an object of fear. And to have people afraid of him, just because he is a hero of color, thinking he's going to violently fight against the white establishment, is a horrific thought for him. That kind of internal struggle is great fun to write."

It's a new concept and it could definetly work. I just hope that he becomes a mainstay in the MU, and doesn't fall the wayside. I really hope that every time something bad happens, he doesn't go run off and cry like the Sentry...it's a waste (I say this as someone who likes the Sentry). Thor and the Silver Surfer (two immensly powerful beings) have been in comics since the 60's, and the writers always found a use for them...I think there's plenty of room in the MU for characters like the Blue Marvel and the Sentry.

Quote Originally Posted by seekquaze View Post
    Nah... it's not written by Reggie Hudlin.
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

This is great and exciting news!

What are the odds Blue Marvel, Black Panther & War Machine could form the core of a new team.