Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REFLECTIONS: Kurt Busiek, Part II

Kurt Busiek returns to “Reflections” for the second of a three-part interview, this week talking in-depth about his views on his “Trinity” of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, and how his views on the characters may differ from common opinion.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17358

I was a big fan of Busiek's JLA and Superman, and the idea he could handle these three characters was interesting. One of my favorite issues of the Busiek run was the Superman-Wonder Woman team-up, where Busiek teamed both characters up. I've always felt, despite the tradition of Superman and Batman team-ups, that Superman and Wonder Woman have more in common. That issue even had Wonder Woman and Lois Lane teaming up, which was a lot of fun and showed the direction Busiek was taking on Lois, as an ally and a part of the "team" instead of another comics girlfriend.

I hope that issue was a template for future "Trinity" stories.
    "Golf is a mental disorder."
    - Edgar Rice Burroughs, LOST ON VENUS (1932)

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."
    - Peter David

julianperezconquerstheuniverse.blogspot.com

I really like Superman, I really like Batman and I quite like Wonder Woman but man, am I sick of the "Trinity". The JLA has basically been relegated to being sidekicks to the big three and in many ways it feels like that's true of the whole DCU. Kurt sounds like he has a good grip on these characters (though I sadly didn't like his Superman run much, to be honest), I just wish they weren't the characters that Trinity focused on because frankly, I'm sick to death of them in the role.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I wish Kurt was still writing Avengers, his run was amazing.

I thought it was interesting how he equated Batman and the Hulk, in terms of both of them being more or less emotionally stunted.

Quote Originally Posted by pryde15 View Post
    I wish Kurt was still writing Avengers, his run was amazing.
    If it makes you feel any better, he's writing Morgaine le Fey again.

Well, the DC version, anyway...

Fire and Life Incarnate! TheDreamingCelestial's Avatar

well, i don't necessarly agree with the interpretation of batman as being child-like in his singlemindedness and disparity with the reality surrounding him. besides him being such a psycopath, this screams to me as adolescent fantasy as Kurt puts it... what's the difference between "hey look at superman high and mighty! he can do anything!" and "look how though batman is! he can do anything that he puts his mind to!".. hulk's child-like psychosis is such a different story altogether in my opinion.

In adittion, I would like to say that i loved the idea of busiek writing the so-called "big three" on a weekly basis along with all the multitude of guest stars, but i think the "trinity"ness and the centrality of the three characters is so much exagerrated.. it is so much in your face that it annoys me.

I think i also agree with Ilash in that the centrality of this three is over played in the wider DCU and it taints the pleasure that one can get from a shared universe with various characters. This becomes especially annoying in the portrayal of the JLA, which should be a place for a group of prominent heroes!
    "You may say I'm a dreamer; but I'm not the only one..."

Subcriptions: Justice League, Aquaman, Green Lantern