Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dr. Strange Speculation (via My Cup O' Joe)

Just wanted to throw this at you Strange fans.

From My Cup O' Joe Week 18 -

"WWH asks: is there going to be a new Dr. Strange?

JQ- Not quite sure what you're asking me WWH. Do you mean a new series or a new Doc Strange altogether? Ah, it doesn't matter 'cause the answers the same, wait and see."

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=416046739

The Human Rocket Asian_Invasion's Avatar

Yeah there was that talk between Iron Fist and Doctor Strange, because Iron Fist was losing his powers slowly. Doctor Stranger said the next in line were getting their powers.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Eh, could mean anything.

That said, I don't think it'd be too problematic to transition Dr. Strange to an Ancient One type role. He's had apprentices and possible successors before. Making him a supporting player in another magical character's adventures actually has some potential.

Killing him off would be more problematic, but it's all in the execution. And, of course, as a magical character with occasional deus ex machina powers, it's not like a "permanent" death would be even remotely plausible.
    Expletive Deleted

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

*cough* Ian McNee *cough*
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    *cough* Ian McNee *cough*
    I hope so. I want to see what he's been up to since Mystic Arcana. And Ashake too.

With what just happened in Captain Britain, it seems like the Sorcerer Supreme might be needed in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_Invasion View Post
    Yeah there was that talk between Iron Fist and Doctor Strange, because Iron Fist was losing his powers slowly. Doctor Stranger said the next in line were getting their powers.
    That's not what happened, Danny was talking about Orson accessing the Iron Fist in his own title, and Strange was contemplating on the legacy aspect of their titles and that one hypothetical day in the future, there will be a new Iron Fist and a new Sorceror Supreme
    If you don't got it, get it. If you don't get it... figure it out.

I read somewhere that Doom is next in line for the title of Sorceror Supreme, so Thor help us all if Strange bites it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Card13 View Post
    I read somewhere that Doom is next in line for the title of Sorceror Supreme, so Thor help us all if Strange bites it.
    Doctor Strange will remain Sorcerer Supreme. His teacher, the Ancient One, was indeed ancient since he lived well until 900 years & died when Strange was forced to kill his teacher to save the universe from the Elder God, Shuma-Gorath. Relatively speaking, Doctor Strange is but a child.

Any new Doctor Strange or new Sorcerer Supreme--who is not Stephen Strange--will be temporary & given Joe Quesada's track record, a silly, superficial, shock tactic gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Card13 View Post
    Doom may possess the sorcery, but his personality lacks anything to be Sorcerer Superme; the title requires one to be humble & wise. Doom may be wise, but he has a megalomaniac's ego.

I can't really see where there would be a new Dr. Strange- unless someone else out there named Strange (or a relative) takes up the mantle. It would seem odd to me to have some differently named character take up the title Dr. Strange otherwise (not saying it wouldn't happen, but...)

As for there being a new Sorcerer Supreme? If they were to do something of the sort, at this point I'd say Adam Warlock- whose current incarnation appears to use magic rather than his previous energy manipulation powers- would certainly be in line for the title.

I don't know... this sounds like one of Joe Q's cleverly worded non-answers. I think he means there is not going to be a new Dr. Strange title, and there will not be a new Dr. Strange. In the past, JQ has stated that while all his creative types want to write and draw Dr. Strange, and fanboys generally ask about a new or ongoing series for him, when the Doc Strange series come out, they don't generally do that well circulation-wise. Which is too bad. JQ has also said Strange is tough to write well because he can be such a Deus ex Machina, too powerful to create much drama... if you've got a guy who can get you out of anything, where is the tension? Although... he seems to have been trying to take Strange down a few pegs of late, esp. in WWH.
    Free downloads and more about me and my books at
    Glow-in-the-Dark Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhudrew View Post
    As for there being a new Sorcerer Supreme? If they were to do something of the sort, at this point I'd say Adam Warlock- whose current incarnation appears to use magic rather than his previous energy manipulation powers- would certainly be in line for the title.
    An interesting thought... and, yeah, Warlock is actually more like a... well, warlock this time around, isn't he? I like the way DnA are writing him in GotG... I had been worried he was too emo when they first brought him back in A:C, although he "matured" by the end of the minseries.
    Free downloads and more about me and my books at
    Glow-in-the-Dark Radio

If I remember correctly, in a previous My Cup O' Joe week, he said there is going to be a new Dr. Strange book. I'll see if I can find it.

I thought it was strange that they didn't say Sorcerer Supreme and said Dr. Strange (no pun intended ;) )

*btw, what's with the thread name change? Marvel getting to CBR, now, eh? ;)
    Last edited by stingerman; 07-20-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: *

Dr. Strange would need to get depowered severely or what he gets is only a Mini. It's excruciating to write a supreme powered characer.