Page 1 of 670 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Default It's Not Easy Being Blue: Nightcrawler Appreciation

Kurt Wagner has been known by many names. Elf. Furball. Fuzzy Man. Misfit. Demon. But the one name that will always have the most value is The Incredible NIGHTCRAWLER!!!! A blue, fuzzy mutant with teleporting abilities, son of terrorist Mystique, raised by a family of witches, none can say that the life of Kurt Wagner has been dull. From a swashbuckling circus performer to a full-time X-man, to capable leader of the team Excalibur, to becoming a priest, Kurt has had many adventures in his life. Here in this place we shall discuss all things that Nightcrawler. Relationships, achievements, downfalls, powers & abilities, limitations, favorite storylines, least favorite storylines(Im looking at you Draco!) and anything else! And as Kurt knows "It Aint Easy Being Blue" but somebody's gotta do it!

Guten Tag and Willkommen

First Appearance: Giant-Size X-Men #1
    Created by: Len Wein & Dave Cockrum

Powers, Characteristics, & Abilities: Nightcrawler is a mutant born with fine blue-black fur covering his body, two fingers with an opposable thumb on each hand and only two toes, each longer than a normal human being's, on each foot and a third toe-like projection on his heel, as well as pronounced, fang-like canine teeth, yellow eyes, pointed ears, and a 3 1/2 foot long prehensile pointed tail which can support his weight.

His primary mutant power is the ability to teleport himself, his clothing, and a certain amount of additional mass from one point to another virtually instantaneously. He does this by means of displacing himself through an alternate dimension briefly and reappearing in a desired location(usually a place that he can see) Nightcrawler has a limited unconscious extrasensory ability that prevents him from teleporting into any area that he cannot see or has not seen in the past, as doing so runs the risk of injury or death by materializing partially or entirely within a solid object. He leaves behind smoke and a faint scent of burning brimstone; this is a small portion of the atmosphere of the dimension he travels through when he teleports. A loud "bamf" noise is always present whenever he teleports (being the sound of air rushing to fill the space he was just occupying).

Nightcrawler is also able to cling to solid surfaces via his hands and feet. He can also render himself nigh-invisible in shadows by manipulating the ever-present portal to the dimension he teleports through so as to bend light around himself.

Nightcrawler is a superb fencer, hand-to-hand combatant, and an Olympic level athlete.
    Last edited by Psycwave; 10-19-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    Psylocke

Nightcrawler courtesy of Bianchi.(although the finger and toes aren't right)
    Psylocke

BANNED

This thread totally makes my day!!! Thanks psycwave. I see a lot of potential for Kurt in the coming storylines. I'd sort of like to see him develop an over the top showman style friendship with Dazzler. They have both been performers in the past and clearly she likes blue guys (beast) and guys with lots of hair (beast and longshot).

My love for Kurt goes way back to the Pryde of the X-Men video game where I thought he had super-speed at first. Then I realized how awesome he was because of his teleporting and I loved that Kitty Pryde was rude to such a gentle soul. He's awesome. Later my appreciation grew when I read his appearance in AOA. He was fierce in AOA and I have longed for a more aggresive Kurt ever since.

Here is my Nightcrawler shrine I have at home. I am only missing a few Nightcrawler toys/statues etc.

O yes I loved Nightcrawler's Aoa appearance as well. he was great. especially when Mystique came.
    Psylocke

My first Nightcrawler exposure was in "The X-Men Adventure", an episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends in 1983. My next would be in my second comic ever: Secret Wars II in 1985 (he only appeared as a robot in Uncanny X-Men #197, which was my first comic ever).

Here's some of my Kurt art:

BANNED

I really liked the AOA's intense-ness. Doing things like teleporting peoples fingers and heads off was awesome and it was something I never thoght of Nightcrawler doing before. Another application of his power that intrigued me was brought up in Excalibur 73 (I think) where he and Rachel and Kitty battle Siena Blaze. It reveals one of his biggest fears is teleporting into a wall.

I also find it a bit bizzare that Nightcrawler didn't mention Kitty at all in the most recent Uncanny arc. He has been on her team with her EVERYTIME she's been an X-Man. He spent over 100 issues with her in Excalibur. And yet nothing. His Excalibur connections are rarely brought up aside from the christmas issue where he makes out with Cerise. I was also extremely distraught and disgustied when he made out with the crap-tacular Rachel Grey. That needs to never be mentioned again in this thread which should only be filled with love and greatness for Nightcrawler.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbib View Post
    My first Nightcrawler exposure was in "The X-Men Adventure", an episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends in 1983. My next would be in my second comic ever: Secret Wars II in 1985 (he only appeared as a robot in Uncanny X-Men #197, which was my first comic ever).

Here's some of my Kurt art:

That is some nice art Matt....i especially love the street clothes Crawler.
    Psylocke

Exclamation love for the nightcrawler

I first saw Nightcrawler as a kid when I picked up an early issue of Excalibur. I instantly liked him! Not only did he have a cool look but really cool powers. I read Excalibur mainly for him.

I was happy when he eventually rejoined the X-books. I'd like to see him more front in center on the team.

I've always loved teleportation based characters.
    I compensate for unnaturally thin wrists and ankles with an extremely buff mind -Jean Grey, New X-men 116

X Favs:
    Jean Grey
    Cyclops Archangel Rogue Iceman
    Beast Psylocke

BANNED

One of my favorite nightcrawler pictures. I used to have this in poster size ( I had it blown up at Kinko's). I really like that he has a sword and i enjoy when he uses it, lol.

This is another of my favorite Nightcrawler's because you don't see it too often.....

His friendship with Wolverine also pleases me very much. Even Wolverine has admitted that Kurt is one of the only people that can get him to open up, relax and feel human. Kurt's just such a great guy.

That is a good topic Swashbuckelr. Nightcrawler despite his appearance has always been portrayed as one of the most lovable X-men. he is a constant friend to all and helps them when in need. if you had to ppick Kurt's top 5 fav people who would you pick. I have(in no particular order)
    1. Wolverine
    2. Storm
    3. Psylocke
    4. Colossus
    5. Shadowcat
    Psylocke

BANNED

I would pick.....

1) Wolverine
    2) Storm
    3) Colossus
    4) Rogue (they do share a mom)
    5) Professor X

He did have a cute relationship with Psylocke when she first returned from the dead via Jamie, but the didn't last long and wasn't developed much (though a relationship there could be cute). I think he and Kitty are good friends, but it's never discussed. She was too young an bitchy for him I think. He hates Rachel deep down. I'm sure of it. I'd say he probably also enjoys the company of Beast and Iceman as they are both jovial in their own way.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

He did teleport part of the Magus' in UXM 192 and Nimrod's arm back in UXM circa 196(?) ...but that's a Techno-organic being and a sentient robot, not a human being...wot are the other applications of his power?...one of my peeves concerning my lil fuzzy elf (apart from that Draco-nonsense) is that they really don't show him honing/expanding his powers set...granted there is only so much you can do with teleportation...but still...it would be nice to see him do some new and interesting things with his powers.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

BANNED

I agree. He could use his abilities to create a smoke screen. He could also drop someone in the other dimension he goes into and leave them there. He could teleport a body of water and put out a fire. (ok, so maybe not).

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    I would pick.....

1) Wolverine
    2) Storm
    3) Colossus
    4) Rogue (they do share a mom)
    5) Professor X

He did have a cute relationship with Psylocke when she first returned from the dead via Jamie, but the didn't last long and wasn't developed much (though a relationship there could be cute). I think he and Kitty are good friends, but it's never discussed. She was too young an bitchy for him I think. He hates Rachel deep down. I'm sure of it. I'd say he probably also enjoys the company of Beast and Iceman as they are both jovial in their own way.
    While I understand Rogue...im not to sure, i think they are close, but i don't think i have ever really seen them try and connect on a sibling level(I might be mistaken) Even when Mystique tried to join the X-men the first time they had Crawler and Rogue showing their feeling separately. I would have liked to show them discussing it together seeing as how Rogue was so adamant against it and Kurt just felt he needed a little time. I would also like to see them talk about their feelings for Mystique maybe Kurt showing a little resentment for rogue because Raven seems to care more about her and not give a rats ass about him. I too believe he hates Rachel deep down.
    Psylocke

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post

This is another of my favorite Nightcrawler's because you don't see it too often.....

I like that one!
    I compensate for unnaturally thin wrists and ankles with an extremely buff mind -Jean Grey, New X-men 116

X Favs:
    Jean Grey
    Cyclops Archangel Rogue Iceman
    Beast Psylocke