Page 233 of 671 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237243283333 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,495 of 10056
  1. #3481
    Forever Drood Drelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Ha! Good point. Come to think of it, it did have a bit of a Misery theme going. I just liked the fact that she was "normal", in that she wasn't an alien, a witch or a nurse wanting to play doctor amidst dead children and ghosts. She was just an average human brushed by a hero at some time in her life. I know the issue was a final nod to fans, as well as making fun of them, and in that way, it was pretty cute.

    It brings to mind an issue back from the electrocuted hair era, of priest-Kurt angsting. Logan asks about the show he's putting on in front of everyone and he answers, "I will play the clown for their sakes."

    I know that was a line directed at fans, who, at the time, had been bitterly complaining at the direction of the character. Everyone hated the priest gig, everyone wanted the funny, flirty swashbuckler back.

    I can imagine a Misery type situation from that time, where fans get hold of him and chain him up in a basement (/wink at Drelion).

    Fans: "We want to see some swashbuckling! Drop the collar and pick up a sword!"
    Kurt: "But..but I'm non-violent now, and swords are sharp!"
    Fans: "What about some smooching there Fuzzy, c'mon, just a little one..."
    Kurt: "Ach I'm celibate!"
    Fans: "Make us laugh blue boy!"
    Kurt: "Vhat? But I don't feel funny. Maybe if you vould just loosen the rope around my neck und put down that vhip...."
    Hahahaha!

    But you know...there something exciting about corrupting a priest...he can keep the collar on...for now... ;)
    Always had a thing for blue.

  2. #3482
    Ahem. DevilishRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your swashbuckler soul.
    Posts
    7,784

    Default

    .Argh! I meant to say foster sister, I dont need to add creepiness, lol.

    Eh, to be honest I don't know what she would see in Darkholme. I dont think the dynamic would be as interesting with that version as with Kurt Wagner. Call me picky... :-p

  3. #3483
    Forever Drood Drelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilishRogue View Post
    .Argh! I meant to say foster sister, I dont need to add creepiness, lol.

    Eh, to be honest I don't know what she would see in Darkholme. I dont think the dynamic would be as interesting with that version as with Kurt Wagner. Call me picky... :-p
    Now that she's a cold husk of a woman I don't think she'll be wanting to do out to a movie and a cup of coffee anytime soon, Darkholme might be right up her alley. ;)



    PS why am I the only one not bothered by the hanai sister thing? Haha! Blue Lagoon syndrome folks. I find it all to be...expected.
    Always had a thing for blue.

  4. #3484
    Ahem. DevilishRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your swashbuckler soul.
    Posts
    7,784

    Default

    Yeah, maybe you're right. I didn't get the issue but I read a review about that. Sigh~! Now there goes the Betsy I know and love. Well, I doubt it will be permanant, the Crimson Dawn wasn't. :-/


  5. #3485
    Forever Drood Drelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilishRogue View Post
    Yeah, maybe you're right. I didn't get the issue but I read a review about that. Sigh~! Now there goes the Betsy I know and love. Well, I doubt it will be permanant, the Crimson Dawn wasn't. :-/
    She is my hub's favorite...he hasn't gotten around to reading it yet either...and I haven't told him. Seems fitting that our favs are both empty shells of their former glory. But if they did get together...it would be one hell of party at our house. LOL!
    Last edited by Drelion; 04-30-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    Always had a thing for blue.

  6. #3486
    Ahem. DevilishRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your swashbuckler soul.
    Posts
    7,784

    Default

    ^ Oh dear. I hope he takes it ok.

    Burtsy was an awesome team.



    - - - - - - -



    Last edited by DevilishRogue; 04-30-2012 at 07:28 PM.

  7. #3487
    BAMF Brigade Sundowhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drelion View Post

    PS why am I the only one not bothered by the hanai sister thing? Haha! Blue Lagoon syndrome folks. I find it all to be...expected.
    Mine comes from both the perspective of having a step-brother, but more from being raised largely by my grandparents alongside two male extended family members of my own age. My step-brother was a late-comer to the family situation, and we never actually lived in the same household, so I don't really view him as a brother (not that we've ever dated or anything mind you). However, the distant cousins I was raised alongside, I definitely think of as "brothers". We were together from birth onwards, and learned to walk, talk, play, etc together. We went through childhood trauma and teen-aged angst together. In other words, we did all the things more conventional siblings would do. Now a 150 years ago, distant cousins were considered suitable marriage partners, it hasn't been until the last century that this practice changed. Regardless, while I completely adore both of them, and I see them to be handsome and real "catches" for the right woman, I couldn't see them in that light for myself. Affectionate, can talk about anything and everything yes, but romantic intimacy, no. Then that is just me and my experience.

  8. #3488
    Forever Drood Drelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Mine comes from both the perspective of having a step-brother, but more from being raised largely by my grandparents alongside two male extended family members of my own age. My step-brother was a late-comer to the family situation, and we never actually lived in the same household, so I don't really view him as a brother (not that we've ever dated or anything mind you). However, the distant cousins I was raised alongside, I definitely think of as "brothers". We were together from birth onwards, and learned to walk, talk, play, etc together. We went through childhood trauma and teen-aged angst together. In other words, we did all the things more conventional siblings would do. Now a 150 years ago, distant cousins were considered suitable marriage partners, it hasn't been until the last century that this practice changed. Regardless, while I completely adore both of them, and I see them to be handsome and real "catches" for the right woman, I couldn't see them in that light for myself. Affectionate, can talk about anything and everything yes, but romantic intimacy, no. Then that is just me and my experience.
    For me, I think isolation would play a huge role in these kinda of relationships tho. And they arent blood, and she was probably the only one who ever shared his joys and sorrows, AND I still firmly believe she was the one who pursued him and since he was such a dope when it came to her I still find it very much expected.

    PS I love how in the south you still have to submit blood tests in order to get married. lol
    Always had a thing for blue.

  9. #3489
    BAMF Brigade Sundowhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drelion View Post
    For me, I think isolation would play a huge role in these kinda of relationships tho. And they arent blood, and she was probably the only one who ever shared his joys and sorrows, AND I still firmly believe she was the one who pursued him and since he was such a dope when it came to her I still find it very much expected.

    PS I love how in the south you still have to submit blood tests in order to get married. lol
    Oh, I definitely see how it could happen, especially since he may not always have been as okay with his looks as he was in adulthood. A pretty, older, confident girl showing an interest would probably be fairly heady stuff for a teen-aged boy, foster sister or not. I was just saying why I found the idea distasteful and borderline incestuous personally.

    Yeah, it is pretty funny about those blood tests in the South. There are also some pretty memorable phrases that discuss kinship and relationships. ;)

  10. #3490
    Ahem. DevilishRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your swashbuckler soul.
    Posts
    7,784

    Default

    Actually, I think Spain and Italy still allow you to marry your cousin. I don't have a problem with it if they are ok with it. I respect different cultures as long as no one is hurt.

    Kurt was real innocent but he was also aware of what effect on others his appearance had. So I can see him craving any affection when he was younger but I do think it was mutual and no one was taken advantage of. There was a genuine mutual attraction. I would still like her to appear as a friend. I would prefer if she wasn't his foster sister but it doesn't gross me out as much as it does others, it seems.

  11. #3491
    *not a boggie* Bamf Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilishRogue View Post
    Actually, I think Spain and Italy still allow you to marry your cousin. I don't have a problem with it if they are ok with it. I respect different cultures as long as no one is hurt.

    Kurt was real innocent but he was also aware of what effect on others his appearance had. So I can see him craving any affection when he was younger but I do think it was mutual and no one was taken advantage of. There was a genuine mutual attraction. I would still like her to appear as a friend. I would prefer if she wasn't his foster sister but it doesn't gross me out as much as it does others, it seems.
    It's also legal to marry your cousin in the UK, Japan, and many other places. While I'd never do it myself, I wouldn't condemn anyone who chose to do so, though I'd hope they'd consider adopting their kids to avoid the whole genetic abnormality thing. But, if you think about it, through mitochondrial DNA scientists know for a fact that all humans are descendants of a single female ancestor, so all of us are a product of incest to some extent. :p

    I don't think Kurt was taken advantage of by Amanda, either. And I don't really consider their relationship to be incestuous, but it's still a bit odd. Especially in the way they started dating (the whole Amanda lying about her identity thing and Kurt's reaction when he found out). I probably would have been more interested in seeing their relationship develop in a more close brotherly/sisterly sort of way when she was introduced rather than as a romantic couple. I also like the idea of making Amanda and Jimaine two separate people (admittedly, I would have preferred a more Evo-like Amanda to the 616 Amanda). But, meh, what can ya do?


    P.S. Your Truffle Shuffle avatar makes me smile.
    "How 'bout a kiss, Tall Dark and BAMFsome?"

  12. #3492
    Ahem. DevilishRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your swashbuckler soul.
    Posts
    7,784

    Default

    Hey, Bamfgirl. We can add some parts of Africa to that list, too. Yeah, I would not marry my cousin either, but whoever wants to?... Uh, more power to them.

    Though, I'm not grossed out by the foster sister aspect of that relationship, I think the lying and deceit is highly suspect and would be a deal breaker as far as I was concerned but then I'm not Kurt who seems to have an, um, unique outlook on romantic relations. So maybe thats where fans get the idea she took advantage of him. Perhaps I could see it that way if they werent already romanticly involved at the circus.


    - - - - - - - - - - -

    Actually, Sundowns written exchange really highlites some things that can annoy me about fandom, i mean I was really wanting to see where the priesthood went under CC. I still stand by my opinion that he was still playful and adventurous and wasnt all mopy, at least not under CC. Joe Casey though, yeah. Some of the angry fanfics at the time were bordering on character assassanation. There was so much animosity I didnt understand. There were certain aspects I did not enjoy about the idea but I wasn't as raging as some and that still perplexs me. I think it really had to do with him not being able to flirt with the ladies anymore and as much as I love that... You cant really build many stories on that. Just because he swore off sexual relations doesnt mean he wasnt living and enjoying life. Not everyone bases their life on romantic relations. There are asexuals who live everyday without it. So whatever happened where Kurt decided that calling was worth giving up his love of the ladies we'll never really know. I really would have loved to have seen 'Kurts Morlocks.' Would he have been like some sort of mutant MLK?

    Ah well thats done, my favorite will always be the swashbuckler but the 'what ifs' are still intriguing.

    - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamf Girl View Post

    P.S. Your Truffle Shuffle avatar makes me smile.
    I'm glad you like it. :-D
    Last edited by DevilishRogue; 05-02-2012 at 08:20 AM.

  13. #3493
    BAMF Brigade Sundowhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    If I'm not mistaken, I think there was even a little story done about the early Jemaine/Amanda thing where it shows him being the one with a crush on her. She doesn't really take notice until he saves her with a teleport when she is falling from the trapeze.

    In the prequel movie issue that Austen did, that was definitely the case, as Amanda had a boyfriend. Then again, that is movieverse.

    I can think of maybe three times where writers have tried to delve any into their relationship. One was a side comment in Excalibur. She was talking to Rory about the fact that she and Kurt had relationship problems based on his expectation for his partner to be completely open and honest and she hadn't been, nor was it in her nature to be.

    Another was a conversation with Kitty, where he talked about his and Amanda's first break-up.

    The last that comes to mind was during the solo run, where the writer had him answering her flirtations and questions about why he didn't come see her with a shrug and "Too much history".

  14. #3494
    BAMF Brigade Sundowhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilishRogue View Post
    Ah well thats done, my favorite will always be the swashbuckler but the 'what ifs' are still intriguing.
    I have mixed feelings on my favourite incarnations I think.
    I have to say my all time favourite version was what they did in his solo series, post-priest. He was still making quips, but showed real strength of character by then. He wasn't a playful swashbuckler, but somewhat more serious and introspective, which made sense given his extensive history. I hated that the regular X-Men writers dropped the ball on furthering that character development.


    The other version I really liked was when he came into his own as the leader of Excalibur. It had toned down the playful swashbuckler and jokester, though it was still present, and brought out a more decisive side.

  15. #3495
    Ahem. DevilishRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your swashbuckler soul.
    Posts
    7,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    I can think of maybe three times where writers have tried to delve any into their relationship. One was a side comment in Excalibur. She was talking to Rory about the fact that she and Kurt had relationship problems based on his expectation for his partner to be completely open and honest and she hadn't been, nor was it in her nature to be.
    Sadly, Kurt has a history of those he cares for lying to him about big stuff. You can add Wolverine to that list now. Re: Mystique and X-Force. Ouch.

    Excalibur Kurt will always be the best Kurt to me. He was the most well rounded there, I think. I really wish his ongoing would have lasted longer. I wonder what they had planned for him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •