Default REFLECTIONS: J. Michael Straczynski, Part II

J.M. Straczynski returns to REFLECTIONS to talk about “The Twelve,” what team ups you will (and will not) see in “The Brave and the Bold,” his thoughts on Superman’s marriage, and gives some advice to burgeoning writers and artists.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17059

Quote Originally Posted by JMS
    I was at a comic con years ago in the dealer’s room. I’ve had plenty of weird adventures in dealer’s rooms. One time, at Chicago Comic Con, I heard someone shout “Stop him! Stop him!” and saw a guy running down the aisle in my direction. The crowd split like the red sea and I helped tackle him, holding him down for the cops. At one point the organizer came over to the shoplifter and told him the guy from “Babylon 5” just tackled him. Suffice to say his reply is unprintable. After they’d hauled the guy off, he asked me why I did it when I could have been hurt. I pointed to this huge cut-out of the Curt Swan Superman, which was where I had been standing, and I said, “How could I have been standing in front of that and done nothing?”
    That's a great story.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Default Strengths and weaknesses...

I'd have to disagree with JMS about his personal assessment of his strengths and weaknesses as a writer. I think he has written some extremely engaging and original plots in his writing career, both in comics and TV. His plots are extremely well thought out, intricate, and detailed; and are planned sometimes years in advance.

However, it seems like he always blows the endings. That is, if there is an ending. Lots of great build-up, little-to-no payoff.

But no matter what I think, I still keep coming back for more.

Default With all due respect to JMS...

...thank GOD he's not writing Swamp Thing. I think he'd be completely the wrong choice to write that character. I'm glad Vertigo is keeping him unavailable. Despite his origins, Swamp Thing works best when he's not running around with the Spandex crowd. It just weakens the credibility of Swamp Thing's mythic story.

Quote Originally Posted by rassmguy View Post
    ...thank GOD he's not writing Swamp Thing. I think he'd be completely the wrong choice to write that character. I'm glad Vertigo is keeping him unavailable. Despite his origins, Swamp Thing works best when he's not running around with the Spandex crowd. It just weakens the credibility of Swamp Thing's mythic story.
    Agreed. Hell, I'd prefer it if they didn't make him DC continuity - better off as something unrelated.

Bah. Alan Moore wrote a Superman/Swamp Thing story that straddled the line just fine. I see no reason why JMS couldn't do the same with a Luthor/Swamp Thing story.

Some people worry too much about their stupid chocolate/peanut butter granfalloons and not enough about whether or not the story is any good.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life