View Poll Results: Which designer best completes Project CBRunway and CBR Fashion Week?

Voters
80. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • spaghettikiss

6 7.50%
  • atoningunifex

37 46.25%
  • Dazzler

37 46.25%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Project CBRunway 3: CBR Fashion Week Voting Thread

Hello. Welcome to the Runway! As you know, in fashion, one day you're in and the next you're out.

After many weeks of rigorous design challenges there are now only three of you. After this week there will be only one.

PLEASE VOTE for the designer whose line you feel best completes the challenge, taking into consideration overall performance during this season of Project CBRunway. Voting should not be based solely on art ability. Participants may vote for themselves. The designers with the least amount of votes will be eliminated.

The winning designer will walk away with an exciting prize pack, inluding his or her choice of one of:
    And his or her choice of one of:
    CHALLENGE 16: CBR FASHION WEEK
    Your challenge for CBR Fashion Week is to design five characters for a brand new comic book entitled VIGIL!

Your characters are:
    1. Vigil, guardian of justice and defender of the oppressed. Powers include flight, super-strength and durability. Vigil is ruled, but not blinded, by a strong sense of right and wrong.
    2. A partner or sidekick for Vigil that you get to name. Powers include some kind of energy projection. Prone to acting without thinking first; potentially more powerful than Vigil. Somewhat naïve. Very fond of Christian Sharp.
    3. Jordan King, investigative journalist prone to getting mixed up in the Vigil's adventures. Jordan has a distinct look and is easily recognizable. There's some sexual tension between Vigil and Jordan. Jordan doesn't trust Christian Sharp.
    4. Christian Sharp, respected political figure, brilliant scientist, shrewd businessperson. Extremely wealthy. Also has a unique look or physical characteristic.
    5. An alter ego for Sharp that you get to name. Sharp subversively undermines the world's establishments, political and financial, seeking power and to “rule” the world. Cerebrally easily a match for the physically superior Vigil and partner/sidekick. Never caught, never quite defeated, and nobody would ever suspect that this villain is Sharp or be able to tie the two together.
    Each piece of your line should reflect a character's individual personality, however it is up to you to decide whether the heroes' costumes should reflect their partnership or not.

In addition to the standard requirements of the written description, you must include a short back story on each character explaining their motivations. As part of the heroes' motivations, please explain how they met and why they work together.

Please vote using the poll, then feel free to make comments or ask questions about this challenge or these designs within this thread.

Let's start the show...

Default spaghettikiss' VIGIL

I thought of VIGIL as a reluctant hero who feels responsible for the world’s tragedies. This of course turns him into a man obsessed with doing what’s right. Vigil is so pre occupied with his ‘mission’ that he wouldn’t have time to focus on anything else. That being said I really imagined him to be sexually ambiguous, not reacting to any of the many advances made on him in any way.

Default spaghettikiss' CANDLE

With CANDLE, I pictured him a typical hormone driven 13 year old boy who constantly thinks about girls. This tends to depress him though since he is covered by so much cybernetics and his only friend is a tremendously out of date, ambiguous, 40 year old with a hero complex. He is eternally grateful to Vigil but still has the rebellious spirit of an adolescent.

Default spaghettikiss' JORDAN KING

I figured that JORDAN KING would come into the story later and immediately take a liking to Vigil. I imagined there to be a lot of innuendo that Vigil wouldn’t catch onto at all and therefore wouldn’t object too. Jordan would serve as the duo’s ‘IN’ as he doesn’t trust Sharp and is constantly investigating the corporation.

As for King's visual. He's a gay man in our time (almost). I thought he would be well dressed in a fantastic suit and wouldn't be afraid to wear color.

Default spaghettikiss' CHRISTIAN SHARP

CHRISTIAN SHARP needed to be a femme fatale in this story. I imagine her trying to seduce Vigil in order to keep him off the scent of her true form and motives (the ear piece is what keeps her in human form). Of course, since Vigil is somewhat asexual, Sharps flirtations would be unsuccessful. Therefore, she would try and flirt with the sexually desperate Candle instead, causing a lot of conflict between Vigil, Candle and Jordan.

Default spaghettikiss' QINTALLIA

QINTALLIA is an evil tyrant who was exiled from her home planet after trying to take it over. In her exile she stumbled across our planet and immediately saw the opportunity to rule again. She observed and studied us, finding that the best way to infiltrate us was to infiltrate the most idolized aspect of our world, its corporations. Posing as the beautiful (yet sophisticated) Christian Sharp, Qintallia gave humans hope with the use of her alien technology, which she used to trick us into believing that the Sharp Corporation could fix the worlds problems. I wanted Qintallia to be humanoid so that there could still be a sexiness to her. I thought blue was appropriate because I thought it would fulfill the geeky fantasy to sleep with a blue woman.

Default spaghettikiss

For this challenge I really wanted to take the opportunity to mess with the genre. The character descriptions suggested cape and tights but I really wanted to not only shift this into more of a Science Fiction piece, but one with some offbeat, potentially funny aspects to it.

VIGIL was a superhero from the 1920’s. His alter ego, John Spark, was a passionate inventor who developed a suit that gave him superhuman powers. Unfortunately, with these new powers, Spark was too busy guarding justice and defending the oppressed to continue on with his passion. Deep down, Spark was obsessed with the idea of time travel and spent any time he had trying to invent a machine that would allow him to see the future. Then one day, John Spark did it; he had created a device that would allow him to travel into the future, which he attached to his super suit.

The next day, Vigil disappeared from the world that needed him.

John Spark, through the use of his time machine, found himself 150 years in the future, appalled by the state of the world. In 2072, Spark found the world to be a war torn shell with its natural resources exhausted. It’s were people dead, suffering or enslaved by the last remaining corporation that ran the entire planet, the SHARP CORPORATION run by an evil alien CEO known to the earth as QINTALLIA.

John Spark couldn’t help but feel responsible for the way the world turned out. He knew if he had only stayed in his own time, fighting for what he knew was right, none of this would have happened. He decided to do anything he could to help the people that were left. So Spark attempted to save a group of ten children who were working in a factory. In the process of trying to free them, guard robots attacked and killed 9 of the children, leaving one alive but mutilated. John took him away and using what he could find built the suffering boy cybernetic parts and nursed him back to health. Because of the new powers the boy had in his cybernetics, John nick named him CANDLE

John knew he couldn’t change the world as it was; it was far beyond saving. He also knew that just going back to his own time might not help either so he decided to take Candle and travel back 50 years.

When the two of them entered 2022, they found a world that could be saved from its horrible future. Yes it was over populated, yes there were people starving and yes there were next to no natural resources left but there was still hope. Strangely though, hope was given to the world by its largest corporation – the Sharp Corporation, Run by CHRISTIAN SHARP. The Sharp Corporation promised the world many things. It promised a new, cheap and abundant energy source, a way to grow an endless supply of food and a way to house all people while saving the worlds remaining natural resources.

John saw this and knew his purpose. He would adopt his old super hero name, VIGIL and with the help of his sidekick, Candle, VIGIL he would save the world. He would find out how the evil Qintallia infiltrated the Sharp Corporation and stop it at all costs!

Default atoningunifex's JORDAN KING

“So this is Carillon City. The shining jewel in the Sharp Empire’s crown. I think I’m going to enjoy screwing with the status quo.”
    -Jordan King

In 2048a flu pandemic swept the globe. Nearly half the world’s population died in the space of eighteen months. The median age in the united States went from 44.6 to 28. Economic and social chaos seemed inevitable. But mankind is more flexible than is commonly believed: in 2 years society was back on an even keel.

15 years later the new center of the world is Carillon City. Home to Sharp International, the world’s biggest conglomerate, Carillon City is the hub of technology, culture, and entertainment. It also boasts the highest superhuman concentration in the world. Carillon City, simply put, is THE place to be.

Jordan King likes being in the thick of things. She comes from a long line of journalists and graduated with honors from the National Academy of Journalism. For the past several years she’s been researching Sharp International’s business dealings. She’s pretty sure that she can find evidence that Christian Sharp is connected with the flu pandemic. She also suspects him of having ties to the villain Ouroborus.

But the real fascination that Carillon City holds is Vigil. Jordan is intrigued by the mysterious heroine. Who is this dedicated woman flying high above the city and why does she devote her life to helping people? Jordan wants to know the answer to these questions. And what Jordan wants, Jordan gets……..

The Design

I wanted Jordan King to be a striking figure. She’s a powerful personality and is almost always the center of attention wherever she goes. Rather than play that down she revels in it. She wears white exclusively and always dresses in style. She’ll never be an undercover journalist, she’s too striking for that. Instead she’s a balls-to-the-wall investigator with a distinctive personal style.

Jordan is a staunch supporter of body augmentation. She herself has hard drive tattoos on the back of her neck, wireless net access and a camera array in her eye, and USB 16.0 interfaces in her fingernails.

Default atoningunifex's CHRISTIAN SHARP

“You say you’re a candidate for all the people, Mister Sharp, but you’re the whitest man to ever walk the Earth….”
    “I can’t help being an albino, Skip. And I‘ve certainly been discriminated against because of the lack of color of my skin.”
    “I know, I know. But…an example…here’s an example. Arch Henderson and his White Right movement are calling you the second coming of the perfect white man. What do you say to that?”
    “Fuck whitey!”
    -Excerpt from an interview between Skip Kalamaroff and Christian Sharp

The flu pandemic nearly devastated the world. But Sharp International’s research labs found a cure and the world was saved. Christian Sharp, the 24 year old founder of Sharp International, was hailed as a genius and a hero. As his stocks soared and Sharp International began rebuilding society one piece of tech at a time, Sharp decided to enter the world of politics.

His first campaign for Mayor was eventful. Sharp’s albinism was seen by his advisors as problematic. On their advice he spent the first half of his campaign downplaying it and trying to avoid it at all costs. But in one of those moments of destiny Sharp turned it all around by uttering two magical words on a telecast. Fuck. Whitey.

Sharp was elected by a landslide and hasn’t had a serious challenger in the last 12 years. His tenure as mayor has seen many changes, not the least of which is the surge in superhuman activity. When Sharp discovered that the new superhumans were linked to his flu cure he called on the people of Carillon City to lead the way and show the world that superhuman abilities could be used to aid society. Vigil was the first to answer the call and has remained Carillon City’s favorite hero and Sharp’s close personal friend.

Sharp is the First Son of Carillon City. He hosts the best and the brightest, he runs the most challenging city economy in the history of civilization, he charms and delights.

If only people knew his secret. If only HE knew his secret…….

The Design

I decided the visually distinctive politician/businessman should be an albino. That’s just the way my mind works.

Sharp dresses casually. He’s incredibly rich and a genius. He’s been mayor for 12 years. As far as he’s concerned he’s earned the right to dress however he pleases. He often wears his “Fuck Whitey” t-shirt, a constant reminder that living in the moment can bring incredible results.

Sharp has a slight limp and walks with a cane. The cane is a data storage unit and global net receiver. Sharp’s ring is a communications device. It’s also a rather elaborate cloaking device. You see, Christian Sharp isn’t exactly what he seems……..

Default atoningunifex's OUROBORUS

“You see, Miss King, I have a destiny, a vocation, and a hobby. My destiny is to rule the world. My vocation is to kill Vigil. My hobby is creating cyborg apes.”
    -Ouroborus

Christian Sharp doesn’t exist. Oh, there was an albino boy born to the Sharp family. A boy named Christian. A genius. An excellent businessman. But Christian Sharp died the day he tested an experimental genetic enhancer on himself. The enhancer, designed to give Sharp super powers, shattered Sharp’s mind and Ouroborus was born.

Ouroborus is Christian Sharp without any societal filters. He’s a genius, an excellent businessman, a wonderful politician. But he is also completely amoral. He sees no reason why he shouldn’t rule the world. And he’ll do anything to achieve his ends.

Including creating a strain of influenza resistant to conventional medical cures.

Ouroboros wears his Christian Sharp identity like a costume. He created a computer-generated replica of Sharp’s personality that resides in the ring Sharp always wears. While masquerading as Sharp Ouroborus believes himself to actually be Sharp. But when he’s alone and unobserved his true self emerges. Oroborus knows everything Christian Sharp knows, but Christian Sharp has no idea that he’s really Ouroborus.

Ouroborus constantly finds himself thwarted by Vigil and Blastpoint. Luckily for him, Sharp has an in with Vigil’s trusted sidekick…..

The Design

The Ouroborus is a symbol of a serpent eating its own tail. It represents the cyclical nature of life. Ouroborus adopted it because he sees himself as feasting on what’s left of Sharp in order to create something new.

I wanted a serpentine costume, something green with scales. I wanted it to be reminiscent of something Sharp would wear while also being super-villainish. The costume covers Ouroborus’s entire body and insulates him from the annoyances of daily life.

Ouroborus is a monster, but he’s got a sense of humor. How else to explain the cyborg ape army?

Default atoningunifex's BLASTPOINT

“I’m a super hero! We don’t take out garbage. Except metaphorically.”
    -Kyle Kinross a.k.a. Blastpoint

Blastpoint is the alter ego of 17 year old Kyle Kinross. When Kyle was 2 he caught the flu. He was given a batch of Sharp International’s experimental flu treatment and he recovered completely. But Sharp’s flu medicine had an unforeseen side-effect; one in forty-five subjects went on to develop super powers.

Kyle has the ability to fire energy blasts from his hands. Kyle’s powers manifested explosively; he destroyed half a block of abandoned housing. The military wanted to take the orphan Kyle into custody but Christian Sharp used his influence to get the boy remanded to Carillon City’s custody. At Sharp’s suggestion Kyle was trained by Vigil. Eventually Kyle was adopted by Police Commissioner Kathryn Landers.

Kyle has been training with Vigil since he was 12 years old. On his sixteenth birthday he declared himself Vigil’s sidekick. He designed himself a greatly modified version of Vigil’s costume and followed her on several missions. Eventually Vigil relented and allowed Kyle to become her official partner. Taking the name Blastpoint, Kyle soon became one of the more popular super powered individuals in Carillon City.

Kyle is extremely grateful to Christian Sharp and campaigns for him vigorously. He’s got Sharp’s name tattooed on his arm and believes that Sharp is one of the greatest men to have ever lived.

Of late Kyle’s powers have been increasing. On several occasions he’s nearly lost control. He and Vigil are working to bring the power under control before it overwhelms him.

The Design

I wanted Blastpoint’s design to be very super-hero-y while also resonating to Vigil’s outfit. I used similar colors and the same basic shape for the two costumes, with minor variations. Blastpoint’s costume is meant to be a less polished version of Vigil’s, reflecting Kyle’s status as a junior hero.

Default atoningunifex's VIGIL

“I have the power. I use it to help people. Why should that be remarkable?”
    -Vigil

Vigil is believed to be the first of the “flu crew”; heroes who gained power because of Sharp International’s flu serum. She was the first super powered individual to answer Christian Sharp’s call for superhuman help. Her power is vast and she uses it with great skill. She has a knack for mentoring other superhumans. So she must have been the first of the “flu crew”. Right?

Wrong.

Vigil is a natural superhuman. Evangeline Langlois was born 200 years ago with incredible strength, near invulnerability, and the power of flight. Over the course of her long life she has hidden her abilities from others, using them to help secretly. When the flu pandemic hit she was scared that she might be the last person left alive when it was all over. When the cure was proven effective she began to re-evaluate her life. In this brave new world did she need to hide? In this world struggling in the wake of near disaster didn’t she have an obligation to help.

Floating above Carillon City she vowed to always help. She would always watch out for those who couldn’t take care of themselves. She would hold an eternal vigil and fight off the darkness. When Sharp sent out his call she answered. When Ouroborus threatens the world she responds.

Vigil has spent much of her long life hiding. It has become second nature to her to distance herself form others. But now she finds herself surrounded by friends and students and grateful neighbors. And who knows? Maybe a certain intrepid reporter will help her experience something even more satisfying……

The Design

I don’t really know what to say about Vigil’s costume. I wanted it to be similar to the other designs while reaching past them, striving to be more polished and inspiring. I included many v-patterns. I used red because I think red is a very dynamic color and I wanted to show that Vigil is a dynamic force in her world. I made it smoother than the other costumes because I feel that Vigil has had 200-plus years to refine her tastes.

Default atoningunifex

And there it all is!

This season has been amazing and hard and fun and crazy and frustrating and puzzling and delightful. I never thought I'd make it to the final three and I'm thrilled to be here.

When I went into this finale my goals were to do something that stretched my abilities and that made me happy. I think I've done the first and I know I've done the second.

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me this season and everyone who gave me feedback. I've learned a lot and have had a ton of fun- even when I'm ready to rip my hair out.

I'd also like to thank my four muses this season:

Tre Styles- the man of a thousand characters. You always come up with fun stuff and you've got such joy about it all! You rock!

Solaris- You are a grand lady and you made this competition a wonderfully supportive thing.

Affinity-Our team project was the most fun I had this season. Your energy really is amazing. You completely revitalized me!

And then there's Kevin. None of you know him, but he's a pretty neat guy. He's the only reason I managed to finish the Amalgam challenge.

Thanks to everyone for a fun season! I can't wait to see what Dazzler and Spaghettikiss come up with!

Default Dazzler's VIGIL

VIGIL

Granted powers far beyond a normal 5th-Grader (or even 6th-Grader!) by a freak lightning strike while playing at the nuclear power plant, Sallie Jenks can bench press a bus, catch bullets in her teeth, fly like the wind, and kick bullies' butts!

Naturally, her first thought on realizing her new powers was to suit up in her old jump rope team (The Starlight Skippers) uniform and go out to paste the bullies of the world, whether on the school playground or in an atomic dirigible (she did that once...it was awesome!). Choosing the name Vigil because she's always got her eye out for trouble, Sallie is always happy to lend a helping right hook. She's got a big heart and wants to protect those who can't protect themselves. Sometimes, it gets her into big trouble, but she would rather that than to never try at all.

To the world, she's the sidekick to Forest City's premier super-hero, The Vanguardian. Only a select few know the truth: Vigil actually calls the shots in the partnership the newspapers have dubbed "The Terrific Twosome". The ruse helps her lead a relatively normal life. Reporters and villains are always on the lookout for the big leader, and the sidekick (especially the kid ones) is usually considered small bananas. Vigil wouldn't have it any other way.

The Vanguardian is something of a cross between a pet and a best friend to Vigil, but whatever the case, she loves him dearly and is fiercely protective.

The best thing about being a super-hero to Vigil is that the Mayor, Christian Sharp, is always willing to help out when there's trouble. He seems to go out of his way to give The Vanguardian and Vigil information on problems and situations that may need their attention. While she respects him, new information given to her by Jordan King has made her suspicious that his helpfulness may actually be hiding something fishy.

And, NO, Jordan King is NOT her boyfriend. No way. (Although she does think he's cool...and cute.)

Costume:
    Bright, bright, bright, and maybe not the height of tasteful! But fun! The costume sensibilities of an 11-year old, if they decided to be a super-hero. I wanted her covered head to toe, because sexy on an 11-year old just isn't cool. I put her in chuck taylors because I envision her as a little tomboyish and those are her lucky sneakers.

Inspiration:
    Ramona Quimby, if she could punch through your head.

Default Dazzler's VANGUARDIAN

The Vanguardian is Forest City’s premier super-hero. Or at least that’s what the world thinks. He’s actually the sidekick of Vigil, who knows him better as A.N.D.E. 5. He came into the world as part of an evil experiment by Professor Destructo, who had created 10 Automated Nuclear Destruction Experiments to be dropped on Forest City from an atomic dirigible on July 4th. Their ability to wield atomic energy would have been devastating had the plan worked. Instead, A.N.D.E. 5’s programming had evolved to resemble human thought, and with a great conscience, he joined Vigil in putting an end to Professor Destructo’s scheme.

Vigil and A.N.D.E. 5 took an instant liking to each other and (a paint job and cape fitting later) teamed up to protect the world…or at least Forest City. His robotic nature allows him to stay up all night and day, scanning for trouble and alerting Vigil when any catastrophe strikes.

His programming being very young in terms of the human mind, he is prone to making mistakes and being awkward; something Vigil is very patient with. She sees it as the learning process of growing up and doesn’t chastise him. His childlike personality can sometimes make him slow on the uptake when it comes to personal safety and the true intentions of people, but slowly, with Vigil’s help, he’s learning. He still won’t hear of any possible wrongdoing on Mayor Christian Sharp’s part, though, and gets agitated when Vigil voices her suspicions of his true nature.

He’s taken an active dislike to Jordan King for what he sees as talking badly about his friend Christian behind his back.

Costume:
    Like Vigil, big and bright, like a robot that would be decorated by a kid. His color scheme is colorful and shiny, and, at Vigil’s suggestion, he added a cape to make himself look more like the classic super-hero archetype.
    He’s made completely of an indestructible metal alloy, which allows him to contain and use his nuclear energy without harm. His sigil on his chest is actually the access point to his inner computer and operational systems. The letter V, which people assume stands for Vanguardian is actually the Roman numeral 5, A.N.D.E.’s model number.

Inspiration:
    Big Giant Robots!