Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29,017

    Default WW Chicago - The Image Founders Panel

    The original founders of Image Comics (minus one Jim Lee) met at WizardWorld Chicago this past Saturday afternoon to tell stories, reflect on the past and give some hints of future projects.

    http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17024

  2. #2
    Mark Brodersen hondobrode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,907

    Default What have you done for me lately ?

    Todd has got to be the luckiest guy in the industry.

    Rob must be the next luckiest.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

  3. #3
    Member xarathos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    707

    Default

    Looks like they are looking for new artists. Bam!

    Yeah, the talk always comes back to 'getting in'. I'm sending something Image in a couple weeks after I send some stuff to DC/Marvel. I have this great idea for a superhero comic, mainly it's very traditional, but really fun.

  4. #4
    Member xarathos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    707

    Default

    Sorry, I got it posted twice.

  5. #5
    Illustrator FIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    66

    Default

    A Youngblood movie with a director attached? Ahahahahaha. Poor Rob. Sure buddy sure.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    22

    Default

    There's a pretty major error in the transcription here. Silvestri's comment "Thank you for what you do, sir." had absolutely nothing to do with the cutesy back and forth about who was darker, the Darkness or Spawn. Silvestri said it after the conversation was over and was directed not to Todd but to the guy who asked the question, a military serviceman who was at the con in uniform. It was a nice moment that was greeted with applause from the crowd, not a punchline in a string of jokes.

  7. #7
    The Dark Knight Returns DonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Cleve
    Posts
    13,813

    Default

    Man, Marc Silvestri looks diffrerent.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

  8. #8
    Member xarathos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIG View Post
    A Youngblood movie with a director attached? Ahahahahaha. Poor Rob. Sure buddy sure.
    Hey, 'The Mark' movie will be coming out... right after Menace #2!

    Hey, I have Menace #1!

  9. #9
    Resident Fanboy Erik Larsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    767

    Default

    You guys have no idea how many deals get accepted, green lit and then axed. Hollywood wastes a lot of money optioning properties and making promises and starting things which are never finished. There's no way to know what will happen until a movie has been shot and scheduled--and even then there's a chance it could fall apart.

    There was a pilot shot for an Ultra TV show (a Luna brothers title from Image)-- this thing got made--it was ready to go--and then it was scrapped. It happens. I know of hundreds of properties that have gone through that as well.

    I know the Mark had made it pretty far--and I know Youngblood has been close a few times. Rob's not being dishonest--there is legitimate interest in these characters--but like everybody--he can't know what's going to happen for sure in the future. At a certain point it becomes out of his hands.

    I can remember, years ago, Stan Lee going on about a Silver Surfer movie in the Marvel Bullpen page. It never materialized. That doesn't mean that Stan was a liar--just that he spoke too soon. It's hard NOT to get excited when it looks like something's going to happen and you don't want to say a project is dead because it might not be if the right executive shuffles into the right chair.

    As frustrating as this might be for you--it's exponentially worse for those involved.
    --
    Erik Larsen
    Savage Dragon perpetrator

    www.imagecomics.com
    www.savagedragon.com

  10. #10
    Illustrator FIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Thanks for filling me in Erik, its an honor for me to get information from one of the Image founders themselves and an artist who's work I admire. I can see how it would be hard not to get excited if one were hearing talk about a movie based on ones own idea being put in more than "development" as they say. That said, I will be honest with you and say I don't like Rob or his work because of his immature behavior. This is why I find his claims laughable and made my comment. Then again he may be telling the truth but hey, more power to him I guess. I do think however that some of his characters could be really cool and big in the right hands. They have lots of untapped potential that I haven't seen realized.

    Anyhow, I like your art and I think of would have been cool to see all of you up on stage the same way I saw you guys together when I was a kid. Last year you were very cool to me at the con in San Diego and I respect you because of that and also because of your longevity drawing your own book and because of the things I've read you say. Do you have anything such as the Savage Dragon in development as anything other than a comic? Are we going to see some detailed toys from you soon? Did you step down to be more creative? What's next for you as far as drawing comics? Its fine if you don't answer because you are probably an incredibly busy artist.
    Last edited by FIG; 07-03-2008 at 08:36 PM.

  11. #11
    Hip-Hop Hippie Tanjint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    I remember seeing art from the Mark and that would kick ass if made for some screen.

    For the record a Silver Surfer movie did just come out, but I'm sure Stan was talking about a different one. MAN those FF movies are bad though....

    I hope Erik stepping down as publisher does mean more creative time for him. I'd love to see him write some more stuff, and it has always been a wish of mine to see Erik Larsen draw a whole issue of Invincible. To me, the style would click. Maybe an annual or something as to not put Ottley out of work for any time at all.

    Hey look....420 posts...sweet.

    -T

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    You guys have no idea how many deals get accepted, green lit and then axed. Hollywood wastes a lot of money optioning properties and making promises and starting things which are never finished. There's no way to know what will happen until a movie has been shot and scheduled--and even then there's a chance it could fall apart.

    There was a pilot shot for an Ultra TV show (a Luna brothers title from Image)-- this thing got made--it was ready to go--and then it was scrapped. It happens. I know of hundreds of properties that have gone through that as well.

    I know the Mark had made it pretty far--and I know Youngblood has been close a few times. Rob's not being dishonest--there is legitimate interest in these characters--but like everybody--he can't know what's going to happen for sure in the future. At a certain point it becomes out of his hands.

    I can remember, years ago, Stan Lee going on about a Silver Surfer movie in the Marvel Bullpen page. It never materialized. That doesn't mean that Stan was a liar--just that he spoke too soon. It's hard NOT to get excited when it looks like something's going to happen and you don't want to say a project is dead because it might not be if the right executive shuffles into the right chair.

    As frustrating as this might be for you--it's exponentially worse for those involved.
    I keep looking up at the previous posts and I don't see anyone claiming he's lying. Definitely doubt that it will actually happen or poking fun at Rob for seemingly believing it will happen and the poster sure that it won't, but no one is saying he's faking it.

  13. #13
    Resident Fanboy Erik Larsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIG View Post
    Do you have anything such as the Savage Dragon in development as anything other than a comic?
    The problem with talking about stuff like this--is having things fall apart and coming off as a liar. A lot of talk goes on-- but until I know something is well on its way--I'm not saying a damned thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by FIG View Post
    Are we going to see some detailed toys from you soon?
    Not soon, no.

    Quote Originally Posted by FIG View Post
    Did you step down to be more creative?
    I stepped down to get more work done.

    Quote Originally Posted by FIG View Post
    What's next for you as far as drawing comics?
    Getting Savage Dragon back on schedule, in the immediate future--getting other projects underway following that.
    --
    Erik Larsen
    Savage Dragon perpetrator

    www.imagecomics.com
    www.savagedragon.com

  14. #14
    Hip-Hop Hippie Tanjint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    awesome, are you gonna be at SDCC?

    -T

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •