Default Comics Buying Criteria

As far as "fan favorite" creators having a bearing on comics purchases, here's my criteria, in this order:

1. writer
    2. blurb from a creator who's work I enjoy
    3. artist
    4. character (this is a very shallow pool, it pretty much begins and ends with Wildcat, Blackhawk and the Golden Age Vigilante)

I figure this is the general criteria for comics buyers as a whole, in no particular order:

• writer
    • artist
    • cover artist
    • publisher
    • cover
    • franchise/character
    • recommendation
    • format
    • crossover event

This doesn't take cost or the buyer's budget into consideration.

I think format as a criteria would tend to go hand in hand with the creator or franchise.

Any other criteria that I'm overlooking?
    Last edited by marc_bryant; 06-26-2008 at 06:54 AM. Reason: to add "crossover event" point

A "criteria" for buying comics??... sounds kinda weird. Personally I don't buy comics just because they feature a "fan favorite" artist or writer. I have been away from the comics medium for quite a while (over fifteen years) and only got back into it recently, so I really don't know who's considered the hot talent today... and I don't think it really matters (to me anyway). If I have anything that resembles a criteria than it's this, I buy what I like. How do I find what I like? I'm ashamed to admit it, but if the comics cover grabs me I'll pick it up and read it... maybe I'm sucker, but I've always been attracted to interesting art work... I use the term "interesting" since everyone has there own opinion on what is "good" artwork. If the interior art appeals to me (I know... sucker) and the story's premise seems appealing I'll buy it. If the writer is worth his salt and It's his steady gig I'll tend to buy the next ish.

For me it's really been mostly trial and error... at first I took a chance on quite a few titles until I whittled it down to a few that appealed to me. I enjoyed reading... err... looking at Avatar's horror comics. They seem to remind me of Warren or EC somehow, only in a modern incarnation with their own "gonzo" spin on it... I think they have a great pool of talent art-wise (Ryp, Wolfer, Burrows, etc)... writing... well. Not so much over at DC, to many crossovers to make sense of anything, but I do like Cat Woman with AH and L&L, Dini on Detective Comics... especially with Bianchi (but Nguyen is good as well) and Niles and Justiniano on the Creeper limited series was excellent in my opinion. Over at Marvel I'd say DeFalco, Frenz and Buscema on Spider-Girl and Brubaker, Fraction and Aja on Iron Fist are (were) my favorites, but again Marvel has way to may "events" in my opinion, too gimmicky. I also like the Bongo titles as well... can't get enough of the social sarcasm of the Simpsons... to me they seem to be the evil Peanuts. :)

Here's a few more I forgot to mention that come to mind... The Exterminators... very funny and novel concept, great writing. Pak, Pagulayan and Ladronn on Planet Hulk, a really refreshing new story line. WWH was good as well, but I didn't think they needed to publish Incredible Hulk while they were running WWH... Incredible Hulk didn't add much to the story... too much of a gimmick to sell you two comics where one would do, needless to say I dropped it. Red Sonja with Homs, Rubi or Marcos... the art and decent writing, overall a good product in my opinion. Oh, and Madman of course.

Quote Originally Posted by marc_bryant View Post
    As far as "fan favorite" creators having a bearing on comics purchases, here's my criteria, in this order:
    Here's mine:
    1) Do I think my wife wants to read it?

Other than that, it's the public library, or B&N.
    Bart Lidofsky

Quote Originally Posted by bartl View Post
    Here's mine:
    1) Do I think my wife wants to read it?

Other than that, it's the public library, or B&N.
    It would have saved me a lot of time and moola if my local library had the latest comics, but as it is they can't even get the daily post... damn housing crisis induced budget cuts! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Drusilla lives! View Post
    It would have saved me a lot of time and moola if my local library had the latest comics, but as it is they can't even get the daily post... damn housing crisis induced budget cuts! :)
    After seeing the Pipeline column this week about comic prices, and I honestly say money will be a driving factor in future comic purchases. Even with the discount I get subscribing online, I don't think any regular book is worth $3.50 a month. I think that price will be my breaking point.

Quote Originally Posted by Imaginos666 View Post
    After seeing the Pipeline column this week about comic prices, and I honestly say money will be a driving factor in future comic purchases. Even with the discount I get subscribing online, I don't think any regular book is worth $3.50 a month. I think that price will be my breaking point.
    I read that Pipeline column as well. I agree, I think this might be the catalyst that spurs the beginning of a consolidation in the industry... but who knows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drusilla lives! View Post
    A "criteria" for buying comics??... sounds kinda weird. Personally I don't buy comics just because they feature a "fan favorite" artist or writer. I have been away from the comics medium for quite a while (over fifteen years) and only got back into it recently, so I really don't know who's considered the hot talent today... and I don't think it really matters (to me anyway). If I have anything that resembles a criteria than it's this, I buy what I like. How do I find what I like? I'm ashamed to admit it, but if the comics cover grabs me I'll pick it up and read it... maybe I'm sucker, but I've always been attracted to interesting art work... I use the term "interesting" since everyone has there own opinion on what is "good" artwork. If the interior art appeals to me (I know... sucker) and the story's premise seems appealing I'll buy it. If the writer is worth his salt and It's his steady gig I'll tend to buy the next ish.

For me it's really been mostly trial and error... at first I took a chance on quite a few titles until I whittled it down to a few that appealed to me. I enjoyed reading... err... looking at Avatar's horror comics. They seem to remind me of Warren or EC somehow, only in a modern incarnation with their own "gonzo" spin on it... I think they have a great pool of talent art-wise (Ryp, Wolfer, Burrows, etc)... writing... well. Not so much over at DC, to many crossovers to make sense of anything, but I do like Cat Woman with AH and L&L, Dini on Detective Comics... especially with Bianchi (but Nguyen is good as well) and Niles and Justiniano on the Creeper limited series was excellent in my opinion. Over at Marvel I'd say DeFalco, Frenz and Buscema on Spider-Girl and Brubaker, Fraction and Aja on Iron Fist are (were) my favorites, but again Marvel has way to may "events" in my opinion, too gimmicky. I also like the Bongo titles as well... can't get enough of the social sarcasm of the Simpsons... to me they seem to be the evil Peanuts. :)

Whats wrong with a appreciation for art? Personally the only reason I bought some comics in the past is due to michael turners art work.