Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default REVIEW -- Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs

CBR reviews "The Beast with a Billion Backs," the long-awaited second of four all- new feature-length "Futurama" adventures. On sale now, the film tackles one of the future's most sensitive topics... polygamy? SPOILER WARNING.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16940

Whitmore: Rebirth! Sean Whitmore's Avatar

Bender spoilers:
    sacrifices his son to the devil in return for an Army of the Robot Damned with which he leads an assault on Heaven.
    end of spoilers

Move over, Pixar, that much blasphemy just SCREAMS "Oscar".

SEAN
    This week at Comic Critics!: Nothing. We're on hiatus.

Bender and The League of Robots angle was awesome. Kiff getting killed would've been better if he stayed dead (and I love Kiff.)

Overall, it was fun, but it wasn't great.
    We'd like to wish EZMOHR all the best in his future....ah forget it.

Cheering the apocalypse DWEarhart's Avatar

It was a hoot. I enjoyed it a lot.

"Warning, the enema you are about to enjoy is extremely hot."

- "No! Not the crack slam!"
    For what's on my mind: Destination Yes (back with a vengeance)

"Opinions, assholes, and elbows..."

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."

Quote Originally Posted by EZMOHR View Post
    Bender and The League of Robots angle was awesome. Kiff getting killed would've been better if he stayed dead (and I love Kiff.)

Overall, it was fun, but it wasn't great.

Yeah, I wasn't all that impressed with the Yivo storyline. A humans vs. robots movie would have worked better, I think.

And is Fry going to solemnly leave Planet Express in every movie?
    Free your soul and let it fly....

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

I was thoroughly underwhelmed.
    I was glad to see that it was funnier than 'Bender's Big Score' which managed to be large in scale but just not particularly funny, however, it just looked like any other episode.
    And not a particularly memorable one.

Which is a bummer. 'Cos I loves me some Futurama.

Hmm... I was gonna stop by Best Buy and pick this up, but now I'm thinking maybe a visit to the ol' Netflix queue is more in order instead.
    "Soylant Green is made out of people! PEOPLE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by soylantgreen View Post
    Hmm... I was gonna stop by Best Buy and pick this up, but now I'm thinking maybe a visit to the ol' Netflix queue is more in order instead.
    It is worth a rental w/o a doubt. But, it just seemed a little, underwhelming for a show that gave us episodes like Luck of the Fryish.

Masked Bat-Mod RonnieThunderbolts's Avatar

I feel like some people just can't be pleased. No one here was overly harsh, but I'm just a little surprised to see such a lukewarm reaction. I thought it was great. Cross was hilarious as ever, and the whole cast did an outstanding job, the bit with Bender's son was so disarming and shockingly funny, it was too much, I had a laugh attack.

Like as been said, the robot stuff was awesome. Cross was a non-entity, as Yivo was the weakest plot in the movie.

I'm easy to please, but for a brand like Futurama, if it is inferior, it stands out pretty large. This was inferior to some of the great episodes.

The only question that matters to me:

is it better than "Bender's Big Score"?

Because if it's not, I'd rather keep my feelings for Futurama as happy nostalgia.
    I'm autistic. What's your excuse?

AKA Muffin, Rear Admiral Nerdcock...

Y'know that thing I said that got you offended? I was just joking.

a guy who reads comics Weapon Ick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jared_Humpherys View Post
    The only question that matters to me:

is it better than "Bender's Big Score"?

Because if it's not, I'd rather keep my feelings for Futurama as happy nostalgia.
    I've been noticing that most people who like Bender's Big Score are disapointed with Beast with a Billion Backs.

My own opinion is that, at best, it is as good as the first DVD but definitely not better. I liked it for the most part but I wouldn't encourage anyone to spend money on it.

My library has Bender's Big Score available so I imagine it will also get this one. I say Netflix it or borrow it from a library.

a guy who reads comics Weapon Ick's Avatar

I like that the dvd includes all the animatics from the video game which was all us Futurama fans had to satisfy our hunger until the dvds were announced. It has commentary to go along with it.

I liked the movie. The first act was absolutely solid. Really funny, really smart. But by the time Bender made contact with the anomaly it started to fall apart. All I really wanted out of the movie was to see Hedonismbot who is my favorite character and there was plenty of him. My friend kept complaining that Hedonismbot is always rubbing his nipples even though he doesn't have any.

lost in the cyber dungeon The Xenos's Avatar

What? People didn't like the Yivo plot. I thought everyone loved the tentacle. You will love the tentacle. Get them!
    Xenos

Cheering the apocalypse DWEarhart's Avatar

"Sorry you had to find out this way, Leela. I was hoping you'd find out on Youtube first."

I'm enjoying this one more than Bender's Big Score. I didn't think that was possible.
    For what's on my mind: Destination Yes (back with a vengeance)

"Opinions, assholes, and elbows..."

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."