Default WAR'S END: Powers & O'Sullivan talk "G.I. Joe: America's Elite" Finale

The climatic battle of “World War III” ends this week in “G.I. Joe” America’s Elite” #36, the series finale. CBR spoke with creators Mark powers and Mike O’Sullivan about the title, and the possible end of 26 years of Real American Continuity.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16922

I am probably one of the biggest Joe fans in existence. I think WW3 could have been epic, but sadly, I think it fell flat. There was just too much to do, and tie up in such a small amount of time. I think WW3 tried to be (and should have been) the Crisis of the Joe 'verse.

I'm not entirely sure where it went wrong though. The exotic locations were there, new characters showed up, old characters showed up, Cobra Commander had a solid plan, the Plague was kicking ass...the situation looked bleak.

But then some Joes escape certain death (off panel), find and disarm nukes in the course of one issue, and Baroness reveals her army nobody ever knew about.

When I think about what could have been, it saddens me. Remember when the SAW Viper was eliminating the Joes (Marvel)? Remember the whole gulag story arc (Marvel)? The birth of Cobra Island (Marvel)? Those were all incredible, epic storylines. WW3 could have been great, but ended up feeling like an episode of the cartoon.

I'm sure Devils Due had restrictions as they wrote, but man, what could have been.

-Jay

P.S.

I liked most of the Devil's Due run.

Is there any plan to collect WWIII?

Can it even be done with the licence ending?
    Ted Kord is Blue Beetle!
    Kyle Rainer is the one true Green Lantern!
    Wally West is the Flash!
    Donna Troy is Wonder Girl!

The Newer 52! Coming in Summer 2014

As a matter of fact...yes! I saw a mockup of the cover somewhere. I'll try to find it again. I'm not sure if I saw it printed or online, but I'm sure it can still be found.

-Jay

Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

Yeah, they've already solicited the collected edition.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin View Post
    Yeah, they've already solicited the collected edition.

-Brian
    good news...
    Daredevil, Hawkguy, Secret Avengers, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Magneto, Punisher, Wonder Woman, The Wake, Batman, Velvet, Jupiter's Legacy, Black Science,Starlight and Zero.

Thanks! I preordered it on Amazon.

Anyone have any thoughts on how the Larry Hama GI Joe Declassified series was? I loved Hama's Joe books back in the day.
    Ted Kord is Blue Beetle!
    Kyle Rainer is the one true Green Lantern!
    Wally West is the Flash!
    Donna Troy is Wonder Girl!

The Newer 52! Coming in Summer 2014

Did this actually come out this week?

It wasn't on Diamond's ship list for this week, and I didn't receive my issues in my Diamond shipment today. But, I just had a customer come in looking for it.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I am probably one of the biggest Joe fans in existence. I think WW3 could have been epic, but sadly, I think it fell flat. There was just too much to do, and tie up in such a small amount of time. I think WW3 tried to be (and should have been) the Crisis of the Joe 'verse.

I'm not entirely sure where it went wrong though. The exotic locations were there, new characters showed up, old characters showed up, Cobra Commander had a solid plan, the Plague was kicking ass...the situation looked bleak.

But then some Joes escape certain death (off panel), find and disarm nukes in the course of one issue, and Baroness reveals her army nobody ever knew about.

When I think about what could have been, it saddens me. Remember when the SAW Viper was eliminating the Joes (Marvel)? Remember the whole gulag story arc (Marvel)? The birth of Cobra Island (Marvel)? Those were all incredible, epic storylines. WW3 could have been great, but ended up feeling like an episode of the cartoon.

I'm sure Devils Due had restrictions as they wrote, but man, what could have been.

-Jay

P.S.

I liked most of the Devil's Due run.
    I thought Mike Bear artistically saved the series. I don't know where he came from, but I really liked what he added to the series. Unfortunately I had to make some tough cuts with my comics and the story just wasn't quite there to keep me invested.

Wasn't World War 3 supposed to be a year-long event originally? As in 12 parts? When it's all over, will it still be 12 parts? If it was shortened, that might explain some of the abrupt reveals you talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
    I thought Mike Bear artistically saved the series. I don't know where he came from, but I really liked what he added to the series. Unfortunately I had to make some tough cuts with my comics and the story just wasn't quite there to keep me invested.

Wasn't World War 3 supposed to be a year-long event originally? As in 12 parts? When it's all over, will it still be 12 parts? If it was shortened, that might explain some of the abrupt reveals you talk about.
    Mike Bear was great. No argument from me.

I don't have all the issues near me, but I believe that WW3 is indeed 12 parts.

-Jay