Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Strangers in Paradise: is it mainly a girls series?

or do a lot of guys read it as well. I'm just curious.

Now that you mention it, it does give off a first hand impression of being a girls series. I think a lot of guys read the series. I did, and the ones I remember discussing the series with were guys.
    Michael Pilgaard, fanboy at large
    WeirdSpace, a Multiverse Who's Who, since 2003
    American Comic Books, an index

BANNED

Would it really matter if it was?

It's a very feminist series - which is to say that it is written by and for people who believe that women are superior to men in every conceivable way.

Which is different from being a girls series.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    It's a very feminist series - which is to say that it is written by and for people who believe that women are superior to men in every conceivable way.
    I wouldn't say that's the case. First, it's written by one person, not "people". And that person happens to be a guy. And from the interviews I've read with him, I've never gotten the impression he feels like one gender is "superior in every conceivable way" to the other.

I think it's a very empowering series for women but it's also very honest in that there's a lot of vulnerability. Every character in the comic has flaws in some way and it makes for a compelling read both for men and women.

I'm a guy (so I say) and really enjoyed the series (although I thought it could've ended a few years sooner) and my wife really enjoyed it too. She really considered it her comic in many ways.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

A (just for) girls' series? ABSOLUTELY NOT! "written by and for people who believe that women are superior to men in every conceivable way." I disagree here, too. I never once felt denigrated as a man, reading the series--there are strong male characters and asshole male characters; there are, indeed, several very strong female characters, but some very evil, some very dippy, some very weak female characters too.

SiP has secret Mafia-like machinations, involving U.S. politicians; secret-agent-type killers, the FBI and local cops, crimes and punishments both legal and not-so.... torture, lust, (requited and un-), even kung-fu/karate.... all the stuff 'guys like'. Also love, and relationships forming and dissolving, art and music-- more stuff guys love, so there, as well as wimmin!

Read the story. Read all of it; easy I believe, as once one starts, one wants to travel along the whole road.

Matt
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post

Which is different from being a girls series.
    Eh, I assume that was supposed to be a smart-assed definition of feminism, but just in case it was sincere: feminists support EQUALITY between the sexes, not superiority of one over the other.

And I'm a guy, and I dug what SiP I've read, which is like the first 4 or 5 TPBs.
    ZombieHavoc don't shiv.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    And I'm a guy, and I dug what SiP I've read, which is like the first 4 or 5 TPBs.
    To me, I think that contains the strongest material. There was plenty of good stuff after that, but I don't think anything topped the Dream of You story.

BANNED

My library's got the Treasury Edition..I'm second in line to read it. Hope it's good, my only knowledge of the series comes from articles in Wizard from the late 90s..haha

Quote Originally Posted by AlistairCrane View Post
    My library's got the Treasury Edition..I'm second in line to read it. Hope it's good, my only knowledge of the series comes from articles in Wizard from the late 90s..haha
    The Treasury Edition? Is that the series retrospective that came out about a year before the series ended? If so, I would suggest getting (or borrowing from the library) the collected volumes, which actually contain the story. The retrospective thing is fun but it would probably read better after having read the stories.

It isn't! It's a very good comic though the man bashing gets annoying fast in the long run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
    The Treasury Edition? Is that the series retrospective that came out about a year before the series ended? If so, I would suggest getting (or borrowing from the library) the collected volumes, which actually contain the story. The retrospective thing is fun but it would probably read better after having read the stories.
    Apparently this edition contains the first few collections of the series. I'll use it as an introduction and go from there. My library doesn't seem to have any more SiP stuff at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by AlistairCrane View Post
    Apparently this edition contains the first few collections of the series. I'll use it as an introduction and go from there. My library doesn't seem to have any more SiP stuff at the moment.
    Oh great then. Enjoy!

I happen to own a penis and I enjoy this title.

I got pretty bored with this series after the first 4 trades. Not because of any gender politics, but simply for the fact that it did not appeal to me.