Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Recommended Spider-Man stories megathread (Perfect for new readers)

Hey, I just wanted to know which Amazing Spiderman story arcs everybody thought were the best? You can rank them in some kind of order if you want.

I'm taking a guess you just bought the 40 Years of Amazing Spider-Man CD Rom.

Ten great ones (beginning with the best)
    Amazing Spider-Man #121-122 "Turning Point"
    Amazing Spider-Man #248 "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man"
    Amazing Spider-Man #31-33 "If Tihs Be My Destiny"
    Amazing Spider-Man #229-230 "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut"
    Amazing Spider-Man #53-59 "Disaster"
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #30-35, 37, 38 Straczynci's first, and best arc.
    Amazing Spider-Man #50-52 "Spider-Man No More" (You may want to read this one before disaster.)
    Amazing Spider-Man #193-200 "Return of the Burglar"
    Amazing Spider-Man #238-239 "The Hobgoblin"
    Amazing Spider-Man #300 "Venom"

I go into more detail with many of them here.
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...ad.php?t=68955

Turning Point.

And I've always been partial to the original Gang War (five parter, 2??), maybe because it was one of the first big events when I was reading SM as a kid.

There were plenty of standalone one-issue stories that stick out, though, but all the ones I can think of are actually Peter Parker, Spectacular stories.

Alex.

Child of Light Harold of the Rocks's Avatar

Wink Cyberman you are so on it...

I have the arc with Cobra and Hyde right after Juggernaut (231 & 232). I always check my local comic book store for it, but they don't have it (Grrrr). Might have to resort to other tactics, because while I never dug the X-Men, Juggy rocks! I want these two issues badly!

I also have the Burglar run, that is awesome. Pete powered down, against the man that killed Ben. And Mysterio in the damn mix. Awesome.

I disagree on "Venom", but then again I am allergic to all things symbiote. Except for those bacteria in my tummy, but I digress.

I'd also argue for all Black Cat and Hobgoblin issues. I know that is generalizing a bit, but all of the Amazing Spider-Man issues of these are cool to me. Now, if you get off Amazing, I won't neccessarily defend those. But I might. On another thread. Oh yes, Cyberman I see you involved the first Black Cat appearance in the Burglar run (#193-200). There is also the initial tease of the burglar's motives way back in #170 -- which I do not have, apparently a kinda cheesy Dr. Faustus appearance from the review I have read.

I'm also partial to the initial Will O' the Wisp run (#s 167-68). Then again, overall, I'm big on Len Wein. So under-rated, it would seem. Never mentioned as one of the great writers (he was everywhere!) from what I have seen...

;)

I know now vy yoo cry... The Defenestrator's Avatar
    San Diego! Los Angeles doesn't taste good.

They may not be an arc, but the first ten issues or so of Amazing are the greatest for me. So much character, great super-villains, and Ditko at his best art-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold of the Rocks
    I have the arc with Cobra and Hyde right after Juggernaut (231 & 232). I always check my local comic book store for it, but they don't have it (Grrrr). Might have to resort to other tactics, because while I never dug the X-Men, Juggy rocks! I want these two issues badly!

I also have the Burglar run, that is awesome. Pete powered down, against the man that killed Ben. And Mysterio in the damn mix. Awesome.

I disagree on "Venom", but then again I am allergic to all things symbiote. Except for those bacteria in my tummy, but I digress.

I'd also argue for all Black Cat and Hobgoblin issues. I know that is generalizing a bit, but all of the Amazing Spider-Man issues of these are cool to me. Now, if you get off Amazing, I won't neccessarily defend those. But I might. On another thread. Oh yes, Cyberman I see you involved the first Black Cat appearance in the Burglar run (#193-200). There is also the initial tease of the burglar's motives way back in #170 -- which I do not have, apparently a kinda cheesy Dr. Faustus appearance from the review I have read.

I'm also partial to the initial Will O' the Wisp run (#s 167-68). Then again, overall, I'm big on Len Wein. So under-rated, it would seem. Never mentioned as one of the great writers (he was everywhere!) from what I have seen...

;)
    I would really recommend you check out the 40 Years of Amazing Spider-Man CD Rom collection, and Wizard's Best of Spider-Man hardcover. The latter includes the Juggernaut & Cobra & Hyde stories, among others.

And Len Wein had a few great stories in Amazing Spider-Man #153, and Amazing Spider-Man #176-180, the first 5 part Spider-man story, and a great Green Goblin epic.

Round Robin the side kicks revenge is very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Defenestrator
    They may not be an arc, but the first ten issues or so of Amazing are the greatest for me. So much character, great super-villains, and Ditko at his best art-wise.
    Yeah... same here!

I also liked the Death of Stacy and Goblin, the drug issues, the Gang war and the 1st appearances of the Hobgoblin! Oh, I'm also partial to Silver Sable.

Quote Originally Posted by TEMPUS

Yeah RIGHT.

The Sinister Six and Venom arcs from Erik Larsen's run.

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TEMPUS
    Yeah that is a cool arc with a classic superhero gang vs. supervillain gang battle at the end.

Always liked Spectacular better. Had more Black Cat.
    "The truth, that no matter how I feel, as long as I breathe, there is hope!" - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman
    I'm taking a guess you just bought the 40 Years of Amazing Spider-Man CD Rom.

Ten great ones (beginning with the best)
    Amazing Spider-Man #121-122 "Turning Point"
    Amazing Spider-Man #248 "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man"
    Amazing Spider-Man #31-33 "If Tihs Be My Destiny"
    Amazing Spider-Man #229-230 "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut"
    Amazing Spider-Man #53-59 "Disaster"
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #30-35, 37, 38 Straczynci's first, and best arc.
    Amazing Spider-Man #50-52 "Spider-Man No More" (You may want to read this one before disaster.)
    Amazing Spider-Man #193-200 "Return of the Burglar"
    Amazing Spider-Man #238-239 "The Hobgoblin"
    Amazing Spider-Man #300 "Venom"

I go into more detail with many of them here.
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...ad.php?t=68955
    I pretty much agree on almost all of this.

Question Spider-man graphic novels

which ones did you enjoy the most? ive only read some of the amazing spider-man GN's but i've really enjoyed them so far. how did you find marvel knights, peter parker spider-man, spectacular spider-man, ultimate spider-man?

which ones are the ones that have the deaths of MJ, captain stacy and gwen stacy in? these seem like story lines i should definatley have read.
    Last edited by comicchick; 05-01-2006 at 05:49 AM.

I'd suggest skipping the ones you mentioned, that was a pretty bad era, so bad, they are NOT collected in TPB.

except the death of Gwen Stacy, that is a classic collected in a tpb of its own.

I would suggest Mark Millar's MK Spider-Man run. 1-12, available in several trade paper backs or in one hard cover collection.