Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Power with girl is better Powerboy's Avatar

Default Time Lords vs. Q

The Time Lords from Doctor Who (when they still existed) versus the Q race from Star Trek.

They've noticed each others existence and crossed realities. I'll ignore the "Doctor Who" problems with crossing into other realities solely for the purpose of these two realities crossing.

They've each decided they must have sole control over the evolution of both realities- or maybe the Time Lords decide they have to have total control and the Q aren't going to put up with that (that sounds more plausible). Both understand what they are up against and have prep time and then the war begins. No outside interference. Do the Q win? Do the Time Lords win? Do they utterly destroy each other?

Bonus scenario: The Doctor and the Q we are most familiar with (the one John de Lancie played in Star Trek) both think this war is abolutely stupid. In one of the more bizarre teamups, the Doctor and Q join forces and powers to stop this and force a truce in which each side stays out of the other's universe. Can they pull this off?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The Time Lords from Doctor Who (when they still existed) versus the Q race from Star Trek.

They've noticed each others existence and crossed realities. I'll ignore the "Doctor Who" problems with crossing into other realities solely for the purpose of these two realities crossing.

They've each decided they must have sole control over the evolution of both realities- or maybe the Time Lords decide they have to have total control and the Q aren't going to put up with that (that sounds more plausible). Both understand what they are up against and have prep time and then the war begins. No outside interference. Do the Q win? Do the Time Lords win? Do they utterly destroy each other?

Bonus scenario: The Doctor and the Q we are most familiar with (the one John de Lancie played in Star Trek) both think this war is abolutely stupid. In one of the more bizarre teamups, the Doctor and Q join forces and powers to stop this and force a truce in which each side stays out of the other's universe. Can they pull this off?
    1. Please see Time War.

Bonus: Depeneds...Will Q call out the Enterprise for this?
    What Wolverine should be doing with out his SMvsFL...

Holder of the Spark of Awesomeness
    I don't bite
    From the Blog of Hiro (Heroes)
    I'm at full HP and MP, and have all my elixirs. It's time to take down the last boss.

I saw the future that I must prevent and I will prevent it.

Who am I?

I'm Hiro Nakamura. I'm going to save the world.I made Kenshiro (FoTNS) Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Crown View Post
    1. Please see Time War.

Bonus: Depeneds...Will Q call out the Enterprise for this?
    Time War: Could you just give me the basics of what the Time Lords proved able to do in that?

Why would the Enterprise be of any relevance?

The first scenario is a stomp in the Q's favour. The second might also be a stomp if Q can't get alot of his people to stop fighting.
    Q isn't powerful enough on his own to make it stop even with the Doctors help.
    Religion is like a fart. It's only good when all the others stink.

Everything for Big Fire BitVyper's Avatar

Yeah, I'm betting on the Time Lords, especially with prep. They may not be as powerful individually, but as sci fi alien races go, they're pretty much the top of the top tier in terms of what they can do. And God help the Q if you start counting the novels, because then you've got the Time Lords essentially inventing the universe, and all of its physical laws to suit themselves (there's even some of that in the TV series). Then consider bloodlust, and any Time Lord can become just as powerful as, if not more than, any Q just by looking into the hearts of their ships.

I don't think they need to go that far though. Their technology more than makes up for the Continuum's advantage as god-like energy beings.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    without looking back to shore.
    Faster than light, bending time

Forever
    Wherever

Everything for Big Fire BitVyper's Avatar

The Doctor, a single Time Lord (though obviously the most capable among them), was enough to defeat Fenric *twice*. Fenric was pretty damn powerful himself, surviving the dawn of the universe and all. Granted, it's not like he took Fenric on in an all out brawl, but that's the scary thing about him; he doesn't need to. Unless John Pertwee is in this scenario. If that's the case, the Q get judo tossed. Sorry; Venusian Akido-tossed.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    without looking back to shore.
    Faster than light, bending time

Forever
    Wherever

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Yeah, I'm betting on the Time Lords, especially with prep. They may not be as powerful individually, but as sci fi alien races go, they're pretty much the top of the top tier in terms of what they can do. And God help the Q if you start counting the novels, because then you've got the Time Lords essentially inventing the universe, and all of its physical laws to suit themselves (there's even some of that in the TV series). Then consider bloodlust, and any Time Lord can become just as powerful as, if not more than, any Q just by looking into the hearts of their ships.

I don't think they need to go that far though. Their technology more than makes up for the Continuum's advantage as god-like energy beings.
    I'm not bringing in novels because then it would only be fair to bring in Star Trek novels involving the Q and apparently some of the novels make them even more powerful (or display that power providing proof of it). In either case, its the shows.

I would also bet on the Q in the first scenario not because they can do anything the Time Lords can't do but because they don't even need technology to do it. They've gone back to the Big Bang and slightly before, gone back to Earth four billions years ago and shown they could stop or change evolution, create time anomalies easily, manipulate time and space at will, ignore physical laws, move planets, etc., etc. And yes the Time Lords can do all these things too but they use technology as an extension to do them. They both have easily displayed the ability to rewrite history as they please or prevent it from ever beginning if they wanted to.

If we had all the Time Lords enter the Heart of the Tardis I'd either say it became a draw or that the Time Lords win because they would have powers like the Q or beyond and their tech. But they didn't do that even to beat the daleks.

I think the real answer is they'd devastate each other.

Now the Doctor and Q would be interesting especially if Q looked at the Heart of the Tardis. What would happen if a being already on such a level did that? Problem is he'd probably become even crazier and lose track of the goal.

Edit: However, I know the feats of the Q very well while I know some of the feats of the Time Lords and the rest by what people say so I'm only going with what I know.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 06-15-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

Back when the Time Lords still existed there was no problem with crossing into other dimensions. They kept all that stuff straight. In fact, I think they even had a door leading to all other realities that could ever exist. Though I'm not certain why

I'm betting on mutually assured destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post

And Whoverse prep tech would include things like the Skasis Paradigm which the Doctor seemed tempted to accept (for a second) which, from the way it was described, would have easily put the users into Q territory (if not beyond)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cthulwho View Post
    And Whoverse prep tech would include things like the Skasis Paradigm which the Doctor seemed tempted to accept (for a second) which, from the way it was described, would have easily put the users into Q territory (if not beyond)
    Do we know the Skasis Paradigm would actually do as claimed? Was it ever actually tested and used? Are there any actual feats for it, or is it that potential feats were merely theorized?

Quote Originally Posted by Syzygy View Post
    Do we know the Skasis Paradigm would actually do as claimed? Was it ever actually tested and used? Are there any actual feats for it, or is it that potential feats were merely theorized?
    On the show? No, it was never tested, which I guess is necessary because getting turned into a god is a bit hard to put in the box.

But in terms of the episode it was never played as hyperbole or as "who knows what could happen" - there never seemed to be any doubt that it could do what it said if it was successfully cracked. That is, compare the Doctor's reaction to the chained up proto-Devil (how hard it was for him to believe) and people crossing between dimensions (which he said they shouldn't be able to do) to his reaction that Skasis Paradigm might actually be decoded and used.
    Last edited by Dr Cthulwho; 06-15-2008 at 11:04 PM.

This is one of those fights where you can build a strong argument for the underdogs, but I still don't think the Time Lords have much of a chance. Ultimately, while the Time Lords can do god-like things with their technology, the Q are just plain gods. In the time it takes the Doctor to pull some levers and hit the TARDIS console with a hammer, a Q can turn him into a poodle just by willing it to happen.

And if anyone's thinking about bringing up those Voyager episodes where the Q act like imbeciles, don't forget that the Time Lords have been every bit as stupid when the plot dictated it.

Time Lords are nice, but I could see a single Q making every bit of their tech on the level of pre-Renaissance Earth, or fluffy bunnies, in an instant. This would be their level of tech for all eternity.

The Time Lords could always just take turns looking into the heart of the nearest TARDIS, turning them all into "vengeful gods." Who knows why they never did during the Time War.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall
    set me free.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthaur View Post
    The Time Lords could always just take turns looking into the heart of the nearest TARDIS, turning them all into "vengeful gods." Who knows why they never did during the Time War.
    I suspect that if taking it from someone (Rose), holding it for no longer than twenty seconds, then returning it to it's source costs a Time Lord a body, then any longer than that might be fatal ...