Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flash's Lightning View Post
    And did you really say that Konvikt was "introduced". Please tell me you mean that tongue in cheek. Because right now all I know is he's a really annoying side character that's yet another "alien who should be in prison on another planet" (Massacre anyone?).
    He's a brand-spanking new character, so yeah, this is his introduction. We learned that Konvikt is a grunting brute with a misguided sense of honor. We learned that Graak is a mouthy opportunist with what seems to be a mind-reading ability. We learned how they arrived on Earth, that they're stranded, and why they're now rampaging.

I'm disappointed mainly in Kurt, who is using a cliched "make a new villain appear who's superpowered, knocks out a hero, other heroes swoop in and take him out easily" approach on a new villain. He knows better!
    To be fair, John had things in hand until he got hoodwinked by a reality ripple.

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

I can't believe anyone who read 52 would complain that nothing's happening in this series so far. I grabbed the first four issues of 52, found nothing at all going on because of the choppy way that the various stories were interspersed through each issue, and had to take them back to the store. I'm only now considering getting the trades.

Trinity, on the other hand, works perfectly fine given the format, and I'm actually glad that it's weekly, given that I'm interested in what's happening, and am looking forward to seeing what's next, while at the same time there's not an overabundance of material to consider (i.e. All-Star Superman, which could be an annual series and still satisfy me).

As for the "weekly trips to the comic shop," add the damned title to your pull list and make bi-weekly or monthly trips. I can't believe most of you guys don't make weekly trips to the story anyways, given the size of some of the pull lists I've seen here.
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

Unhappy

I'm reeeeally trying to like this series. I know we're only two issues in but I'm so bored with it. I thought the opening with the disembodied voice in space was intriguing. I mean, this is Busiek and Bagley. I love Astro City and Marvels and I've grown up loving Bagley's art on Spidey AND Ultimate Spidey but this has just bored me.

I'll give it the rest of the month to see where it goes...

Thumbs up so far. Good intro, good guest stars. It reminds me a bit of Brave and the Bold, except we have three heroes that will be in every issue.

Honestly, I can't imagine dropping this series after the first 2 issues.
    "I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

Nick Helm, funniest gag winner, Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zodiac View Post
    The immediate story of the back-up. As of yet, it doesn't have anything of significance to do with Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman's dreams, or the random robots, solar system, and mystic dimension that screw with them this issue. The back-up is about the alien we see at the very end of the primary story, and all it does is elaborate on how they're here, not why they're here or who they are (which are things you'd figure you'd want to at least basically outline for a character introduction).

And no, it isn't a complete story. It's a weekly serial that's being told in eleven pages with eleven pages of back story. The story of Konvikt and tiny alien shoulder-pet is the back-up, which was a complete story, at the expense of the plot progression of the primary story, that of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman trying to find out why they're having crazy dreams.
    From what I've seen, the backup of one issue is going to lead directly into the lead story the next issue. Though this seems completely boneheaded, and like it ruin and sort of cliffhanger, what the hell I'm running with it for now.

And I should damn well have a high tolerance for boneheaded ideas after Countdown, and as long as Trinity remains good I'm not going to bash it. I will however have my bashing stick in the corner just in case.

BANNED

Aces so far. The story is a slow build but that's the point of a weekly. The back-up's compliment the lead story nicely, it looks like a win-win across the board.

Adding what is essentially 4 comic books to my pull list sounds like a big deal but I don't smoke anymore so not buying a pack of cigs every two days easily makes up for this, lol.

as a concept I love the idea of a weekly comic, I can't understand why any comic book fan wouldn't love the concept of a weekly comic. So far this is the third one from dc, 52 was good, countdown was dreadful (after about 10 issues that is, started out good) and now we have Trinity, theoretically it should be almost impossible to make a bad series with the cast of characters so I'm going to put my faith in the writer.

I disliked the scene with Wonderwoman refusing help from Superman, not because she refused it, but the fact that she had to explain her actions to Superman, which he would have known, he isn't stupid.

I don't really care for the backup features yet, but we'll see how that happens, the problem is, if they don't have enough material to make a full book, then they shouldn't be trying to do a weekly series. I'm serious about this, why do something if you don't have the material. If there is a necessity for back story then I'm find with splitting the titles, but just as filler material it's a waste.

didn't like this one as much as the first issue, but luckily, it's weekly, so it has a fast chance of redeeming itself over most books.
    Image: Alex+Ada, Deadly Class, East of West, Invincible, Pretty Deadly, Saga, Walking Dead Marvel: Hulk, Iron Fist, New Avengers, Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zodiac View Post
    No, not clearly. Y'see, if it were clear, you'd be able to tell me exactly what's happening, but you can't. It's very unclear, in fact. Konvikt shows up. Why? How? To what end? I'unno. But there was plenty of time between the middle of the book and the end of the back up, which focused on him, for it to be explained- for a new, potentially pivotal character to be given a full, intriguing introduction.
    I don't claim to know how and in what capacity Konvikt is related to the larger plot, just that he is. I know this--clearly, with certainty--because we were told as much in "The Morrows to Come." He's not a villain-of-the-month who will fight the Trinity next week to be never heard from again. We know this, Jack.

I get that you would've liked more information so as to make Konvikt more intriguing. Two problems, though:

1. Story economy. Konvikt's backstory is superfluous to the story at hand, which is about a crash-landed alien being provoked into rampage. We don't need the expository clutter of where he came from to understand why the Trinity will fight him next week. That can be expanded upon later.

2. There may be important revelations in store. One poster has pointed out how Konvikt has Trinity-esque visual elements (red cape-like fur, gold belt, WW head ridges). I, myself, find it all too suspicious how the ring couldn't identify him. And John's freaky Warrior moment there--pretty convenient that Konvikt had just been restrained. Perhaps he's capable of more than brute strength.

Like Clayface's museum robbery last week, I think there's more going on than what we're seeing. At any rate, let's not assume that Busiek et al have dropped the ball.

And in a weekly book, you're fighting even harder to avoid decompression, which is apparently the most impossible thing for most writers even just doing a monthly.
    You don't combat decompression by making everything about Frodo and the Ring. You do it with Merry and Pippin and sidetrips into Fangorn Forest--supporting characters and subplots, episodes enjoy-able by themselves but ultimately connected to the larger conflict. You build in and around the central plot. You make the story more robust.

The title hasn't captured your interest and you don't feel it's worth the extra cost. Fair enough, but I can't fault the approach taken. To get back to my original point, "two no-name aliens wrecking Green Lantern" isn't irrelevant, water-treading decompression. It's an episode of the story. The story, you see, encompasses more than just the Trinity and their travails.

I've noticed that Kurt for some reason like's to inject "k" into names like Subjekt-17 and Konvikt which comes off as a little corny but perhaps there's a relation there.

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    I've noticed that Kurt for some reason like's to inject "k" into names like Subjekt-17 and Konvikt which comes off as a little corny but perhaps there's a relation there.
    Maybe they're all sekretly Russians invading Amerika?

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Ace View Post
    Maybe they're all sekretly Russians invading Amerika?
    Heh, he's actually used "Amerika" before with the Crime Syndicate of Amerika.

Am I the only one who got serious Warren Ellis vibes from that idea about a tiny solar system growing in the middle of Metropolis? It was an excellent idea on Busiek's part and raised my faith in the series.
    Locke & Key, Saga, Thief of Thieves

Somewhat Wondie-obsessed CarolStrick's Avatar

Yeah: ca-ching!

This either needs to be an oversized (or regular) monthly or regular-sized biweekly. I don't think the stories are going to be enough to grab me each week, even if it is Busiek.

Default TRINGENUITY 2: "Trinity" Commentary

Superman fights a sun, Wonder Woman fights some robots, John Stewart gets some new gear, and things just get weird for Batman in DC Comics' "Trinity" #2, on sale now.

http://comicbookresources.com:8080/?...ticle&id=16811