Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Frank Tieri Joins "Batman & The Outsiders"

With the final issue of Frank Tieri's "Gotham Underground" in stores this week, the writer jumps into the fray of "Batman R.I.P." in a two-issue stint with the DCU's most volatile black ops super team.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16728

R.I.P. mini-event play off of yet-to-be-seen plot twists in Morrison's story in the monthly "Batman" title. However, Tieri did reveal that he'll be joined on his arc by recent "Detective Comics" artist Ryan Benjamin ("Grifter/Midnighter") and that fans looking for a hint of what's in store for Katana, Geo-Force and the rest need look no further than his storyline's title.
    OH GOD NO! What happend to Chuck Dixon? Why isnt he writing the tie-in?

Okay, confession time -- outside of the animated series and what I remembered as a kid, I didn’t really know Batman continuity all that well going into 'Gotham Underground'
    Honestly, that's probably all you need to write a good Batman story. The Animated Series was incredible, one of the best cartoons i can think of. Whenever i read the Joker, no matter who writes him, i still hear Mark Hamill's shrill cackle. And it makes me smile.

BANNED

Well so much for Bato being on my list

BANNED

seriously what are you people on about. I honestly love dixons other stuff but BATO has been an utter mess since day one and has yet to go where its needed to to become as good as outsiders should be, Dixon and this relaunch overall haven't helped anything and from what I read and saw of GU it was really quite decent and at my LCS and a few others around I asked and they said GU sold like hotcakes cause people loved it.

Well, I'll stick with BATO until after the "Batman R.I.P." arc is over, but with all the changes coming up, i don't know if I'll stick around after that. Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm reading the book NOW- I'm not particularly interested in the team itself, or Chuck Dixon's writing style.
    I have to say, I'm intrigued by a Riddler/Penguin "Friendship", since we don't see much rogue interaction, except in Flash- since i didn't read "Gotham underground" I'm curious as to what sort of role lock-up played in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Luck View Post
    seriously what are you people on about. I honestly love dixons other stuff but BATO has been an utter mess since day one and has yet to go where its needed to to become as good as outsiders should be, Dixon and this relaunch overall haven't helped anything and from what I read and saw of GU it was really quite decent and at my LCS and a few others around I asked and they said GU sold like hotcakes cause people loved it.
    Agreed. Big fan of Dixon's work most of the time but all the charm, fun and characterization of the previous Nightwing/Arsenal outsiders series is gone. More awkward was the rampant lineup-changes throughout the first arc; i have NO idea how Ollie's appearance here would fit into his own continuity. The Dibny's needless cameo in a recent issue was a bit of an eyebrow-raiser as well. None of the characters really seem to have their own unique voice and the book as a whole feels more dictated editorially than by any decision to tell a quality story.

I was VERY impressed with Tieri's Gotham Underground, however. A thoroughly-researched and comprehensive look at the metahuman and criminal element of Gotham that felt rewarding for longtime Bat-readers and minutae-spotters while still seeming like it wouldn't be too confusing at all for new readers. I hope it does very well in the eventual TPB.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nebula View Post
    Agreed. Big fan of Dixon's work most of the time but all the charm, fun and characterization of the previous Nightwing/Arsenal outsiders series is gone. More awkward was the rampant lineup-changes throughout the first arc; i have NO idea how Ollie's appearance here would fit into his own continuity. The Dibny's needless cameo in a recent issue was a bit of an eyebrow-raiser as well. None of the characters really seem to have their own unique voice and the book as a whole feels more dictated editorially than by any decision to tell a quality story.

I was VERY impressed with Tieri's Gotham Underground, however. A thoroughly-researched and comprehensive look at the metahuman and criminal element of Gotham that felt rewarding for longtime Bat-readers and minutae-spotters while still seeming like it wouldn't be too confusing at all for new readers. I hope it does very well in the eventual TPB.
    You have obviously never read the cluster f*fck that was Weapon X to understand what people are complaining about.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nebula View Post

I usually never follow comic reviews as I like to formulate my own opinion, but Gotham Underground garnered some horrific ratings on IGN.com (usually in the 2-3 range out of 10), so I steered clear. That, and my appetite for yet another Gotham-based Bat-related book has been more than sated.

Yeah, I do get the impression that there's been a lot more editorial involvement in this book than on the average. Ever since the beginning when Tony Bedard was pulled off the title at the last minute and replaced with Chuck.

No idea why Chuck isn't writing the tie-in's (and there could be a multitude of reasons), but this article implies that Tieri is only on the book for the short term.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

On a throne atop a mountain of lesser men.

The book's mediocre anyway, knowing Tieri is involved with the "RIP" crossover just saves me the time and money of having to follow it into that title. Thanks, DC!
    Go !@#$ yourself.

I'm loving Chuck's return on the Robin title, but this book has been a snoozer. It reads as if Dixon himself has no clue where to go with the book. Tieri writing the RIP crossover with Ryan Benjamin is a double dose of avoid for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Yeah, I do get the impression that there's been a lot more editorial involvement in this book than on the average. Ever since the beginning when Tony Bedard was pulled off the title at the last minute and replaced with Chuck.

No idea why Chuck isn't writing the tie-in's (and there could be a multitude of reasons), but this article implies that Tieri is only on the book for the short term.
    What other editorial interference has there been besides taking tony bedard off?
    I really like Bato but im beginning to think that it's going nowhere or if it is going somewhere its taking an awfully long time to do it.

BANNED

Why are you freaking out when he's only on it for the two RIP issues?

I couldn't be more pleased that I'll get (at least) two Dixon-less Outsiders issues!
    Dixon's turgid, pedestrian storytelling is killing this book and I can't wait to see a new perspective injected into these characters.