Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

For some reason I thought it stood for "Secret Society of Super-Villains," which makes even less sense than Reptisaurus's guess.

We are comic experts all.

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Alright. You got me.

Superman, Sandman, on Venus?
    If you write that team-up issue... Superman, Gaiman's Sandman and Bill Everett's Venus... I'll publish it.

This looks like a really useful thread! Some things I was aware of (Sam's Strips : I can hardly wait) but not Williamson's "Flash Gordon" which I am very interested in.

But. "I can hardly wait". I have always been very very impatient when it comes to books. The Williamson book isn't scheduled until Jan 2009!!!!

I get "Previews" monthly so I can email my order to my LCS (not that local!). Some things (mostly comics) I order from them, others (mostly collections) I stick on my Amazon "pre order" wish list. And they invariably seem to come out later than advertised, which doesn't help!

I have a pre order wish list the length of your arm! I'll have to take another look at it, see if there is anything that might be of interest here.

So, basically : great idea for a thread! terrible for me, more lovely stuff I can't wait to get my hands on, but sadly must!

p.s. it is "Secret Society of Super Villains", a book which iirc has been solicited, dropped and recently solicited again. Are they doing this just to annoy me? Is it some kind of personal vendetta?

p.p.s just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you....
    You see me now, a veteran of a thousand psychic wars

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Way past due that this gem from the early "independent" days came out.

http://www.amazon.com/Journey-1-Will...d_sim_b_img_39

I think I'd seen this before, but I definitely want this bio.
    And William Messner Loebs is one of the nicest guys around. If you've ever had a chance to meet him, he's very personable...no swelled head...
    I knew him briefly when he was on the rise in Detroit and I lived there 80-87. A home grown comic talent at the same time Don Simpson was doing Kookie Quartet and Megaton Man as well! What a great time to be in comics!

Pretty sure I haven't seen this one before today.

http://www.amazon.com/Rogers-Archive...ef=pd_sim_b_29

Probably not one I'll buy...but interesting.

I preordered this sucker at the comic shop today:

"This is the most comprehensive collection ever published of the landmark comic strip by the legendary Winsor McCay! These two volumes collect the adventures of Little Nemo in Slumberland from published between 1909 and1914, plus full-color images from the never-before-collected 1924-1926 run. These volumes also include the 'Tales of the Jungle Imp,' also in full-color. The two volumes showcase this historical strip, and provide a must-have chronicle that will appeal to both collectors and historians."

It'll set me back $100. Someone tell me it's worth it.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Pretty sure I haven't seen this one before today.
    Meant to double-check my copy of the issue last night but forgot to, but I'm pretty sure it & some of Dark Horse's new archive editions are the focus of an article in the latest Comics Buyers Guide.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    It'll set me back $100. Someone tell me it's worth it.
    Is that the Sunday Press collection? The experts in the comic-strip-classics Yahoo group speak very highly of it.
    --
    Rob Allen

The bee's knees... TheHistorian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Is that the Sunday Press collection? The experts in the comic-strip-classics Yahoo group speak very highly of it.
    No, it's not. These are from Checker.
    "Death Cults are always fun" - our very own Lone Ranger

This Fred Hembeck Book is gigantic and cool:

Has anyone out there purchased any of the Creepy/Eerie hardcover collections coming out by Dark Horse? I'm curious to know if they reprint the issues in their entirety (front cover, story material, ads, back cover,... repeat) or just the stories followed by a cover gallery?

Quote Originally Posted by Drusilla lives! View Post
    Has anyone out there purchased any of the Creepy/Eerie hardcover collections coming out by Dark Horse? I'm curious to know if they reprint the issues in their entirety (front cover, story material, ads, back cover,... repeat) or just the stories followed by a cover gallery?
    I have Creepy Archive 1 (the only one relesed so far, I think) and for each issue, they print the cover (full color, full bleed), inside front cover, TOC, letters page, and the stories. They also print a couple of ad pages scattered in each issue.

Apparently, as they progress through the run, they're only be reprinting the new (non-reprint) stories from each issue.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by MDG View Post
    I have Creepy Archive 1 (the only one relesed so far, I think) and for each issue, they print the cover (full color, full bleed), inside front cover, TOC, letters page, and the stories. They also print a couple of ad pages scattered in each issue.

Apparently, as they progress through the run, they're only be reprinting the new (non-reprint) stories from each issue.
    Thanks for the info, I guess they're a lot like the EC Library sets published by Cochran.

I was interested in picking up the (soon to be published) Eerie volume. I have quite a few issues of the actual magazine going back to issue #10, but I rather not manhandle them anymore.

Vol. 2 of the Bill Loebs' Journey is scheduled for Mar. Jack Kirby's The Losers ditto with the collected Demon hardcover scheduled for Nov. Neil Gaiman's Compleat Death hardcover is also Mar. scheduled. A Captain Britain Omnibus is coming from Marvel in Apr. that includes all the stories Alan Davis worked on up to the late 1980s, including the Dave Thorpe & Alan Moore stories and runs over 600 pages. Modern Masters has volumes on Mike Ploog & Chris Sprouse in the near future. There appears to be a Joe Simon & Jack Kirby volume coming soon (I suspect the crime, romance & Black Magic stories will be included). I'm also looking forward to the Williamson Flash Gordon volume, not only for Al's artwork, but because many of the stories were written by Archie Goodwin. Very happy about the Creepy, Eerie & Blazing Combat issues coming soon.

This is the kind of thread I enjoy!

Rich Arndt

Default Something for Dan Bailey

In December Dark Horse will release what may be the perfect storm of a comic book for our own Dan Bailey.

Dan, thought you might be interested, if you are not yet aware, that Dark Horse will be coming out with a John Severin penciled one-shot as part of their B.P.R.D.: War on Frogs series.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/15-0...War-on-Frogs-2

I don't know if it is the case, but I thought you might also be a fan of the Lovecraftian universe that Mike Mignola has created over at Darkhorse. I love the whole Hellboy mythos that has emerged over the years, stirringly and effectively bringing together H.P. Lovecraft, traditonal folklore, the Nazi occult, and pulp literature into a unique and fascinating pastiche, rendered (especially by Mignola himself) in dark tones and a blocky style (dare I say, reminiscent of Kirby) that perfectly captures the creators intent and subject matter.

I can't wait to see what the great John Severin brings to Mignola's universe. I believe it is supposed to be a rather pulpish western story to which Severin get's to bring his increasingly rare, but beautiful old school style. Just perfect for him I'd say.