Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Martian Manhunter R.I.P.

Writer Peter Tomasi, a long-time fan of J'onn J'onzz, mourns the death of the fallen superhero in next week's one-shot, “Final Crisis: Requiem,” and speaks with CBR News about the Manhunter from Mars.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16674

Well, you probably shouldn't have put such a huge spoiler in the subject line but I figure this whole death thing is just to get rid of that hideous look he's been sporting since Infinite Crisis.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

My shipment from mailordercomics.com - containing last week's comics - should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. Thanks for the spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by dmahlin View Post
    My shipment from mailordercomics.com - containing last week's comics - should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. Thanks for the spoiler.

Build yourself a bridge and get over it.

Here's the weird thing:

The Martian Manhunter has long been one of my top ten favorite comic book characters and yet I didn't so much as bat an eyelash at his death in FINAL CRISIS #1. That either means that:

1. "Death" in comic books has become so routine, passe and stunt-like that it has been depleted of its emotional resonance or...

2. The scene that Grant Morrison wrote did absolutely nothing to engage my sympathy. I keep reading in interviews and discussions that it was supposed to be "shocking" because it happened so quickly. And perhaps if comic books were feature films that would be true. As it stands, I think it was precisely because it happened so quickly and in such an off-handed way that I was disconnected from it.

In any event, my feeling is: "Who cares? He'll be back in a year or two anyway."
    Last edited by 4PointOh; 06-03-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.

hal's probably the most angry cuz he didn't get to do j'onn in himself he likes to get all emerald twilight on those alien scum

Quote Originally Posted by Ilash View Post
    Well, you probably shouldn't have put such a huge spoiler in the subject line but I figure this whole death thing is just to get rid of that hideous look he's been sporting since Infinite Crisis.

I still can't believe that people actually prefer the suspenders, underwear, and pirate boots look over the ominous black/dark navy look.

I really like J'onn, but I echo the 'meh'-like sentiments I've seen elsewhere regarding his death. It's not like anyone had a damn clue what to do with him anymore. Better to kill him off than do another tired "everything you know is wrong" story introducing yet more Martians. Blech.

Rest in Peace, J'onn... at least until someone figures out what to actually do with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre U AHole View Post
    I still can't believe that people actually prefer the suspenders, underwear, and pirate boots look over the ominous black/dark navy look.
    Oh, I absolutely do. It's a ridiculous costume but I still have a certain amount of fondness. That may be because I don't really want J'onn J'onzz to be an "ominous" character. I especially don't like the new shape he has his head in. I don't know why people have so much trouble with the way he was: Grant Morrison and Giffen/ Demaittes both did wonderful things with the character and, even if their runs couldn't have been more different, I think that they kept his characterization really consistent. See also Darwyn Cooke and the New Frontier for more J'onn J'onzz greatness.

He's a classic character that really, really didn't need to be updated. He can't really carry his own title? Fine, loads of characters can't but that's no reason to go and mess around with a great character, especially such an already well-defined and interesting one.

I preferred his new uniform over the old, and I think if they'd stuck with his 'human head' rather than his 'martian' one, it's look pretty damn cool.

Anyone remember the MM mini series from years ago, written by Matt Wagner, I believe? It set J'Onn up as the definitive last Martian, because Erdel's machine didn't just transport him from Mars, it took him from 1 million years in the past. I kinda wish they had stuck with that origin.

As it is now, Miss Martian has the exact same powers, and the artists can throw in some green t & a when they want to. We don't really need J'Onn back at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 4PointOh View Post
    Here's the weird thing:

The Martian Manhunter has long been one of my top ten favorite comic book characters and yet I didn't so much as bat an eyelash at his death in FINAL CRISIS #1. That either means that:

1. "Death" in comic books has become so routine, passe and stunt-like that it has been depleted of its emotional resonance or...

2. The scene that Grant Morrison wrote did absolutely nothing to engage my sympathy. I keep reading it was supposed to be "shocking" because it happened so quickly. And perhaps if comic boks were feature films that would be true. As it stands, I think it was precisely because it happened so quickly and in such an off-handed way that I was disconnected from it.

In any event, my feeling is: "Who cares? He'll be back in a year or two anyway."

That is how DC rolls and that is why Im not too broken up over it.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Yeah, while I get what Morrison was going for and I think for a quick, out of the blue death it worked pretty well, it really is hard to care in the slightest that they killed the Martian Manhunter. After all, this is the series that is bringing back Barry Allen whose death was supposed to be the one indestructable DC death and I seriously doubt that J'onn will be gone anywhere near as long.

So lame. Hopefully we'll get Martian Manhunter: Rebirth in 2009.
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

Haven't been knocked out by anything Tomasi's written yet, but I keep hoping he exceeds the average. He's better than a Countdown writer, but not even close to the 52 league.

I think my favorite version of Martian Manhunter is still the straight, serious guy from the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI days. An elite superhero trying to maintain composure with a bunch of knuckleheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratwedge View Post
    Build yourself a bridge and get over it.
    Was there a point to your post other than being obnoxious?

I would also have liked to not have had the death spoiled, but once I read it I had no reaction other than "What was the point, someone will bring him back.". Because deaths and resurrections happen so often in comics they have lost any of the emotional impact they may have once had for me.
    "The most merciful thing in the world . . . is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
    H.P. Lovecraft