Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default WW Philly: Legends of Comics

Wizard World Philly attendees spent Saturday morning hearing stories from Chris Claremont, Peter David, Tom DeFalco, Tim Hildebrandt and Tom Brevoort at the aptly named Legends of Comics panel.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16623

Greg. Greg Hildebrandt was on the panel. Tim Hildebrandt, his brother, died two years ago.

The panel was called "living" legends, after all.

PAD

I love these two guys:

Last edited by david r; 06-01-2008 at 07:54 AM.

David began his career working for Playboy paperbacks
    Who knew??

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by david r View Post
    Who knew??
    I believe he worked in the sales department, not as a writer.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I know it's horribly curmudgeonly of me to make this observation, but that's never stopped me before, so I'll go ahead & do it anyway:

Nothing against those guys, who after all didn't name the panel or anything, but it sure doesn't take much these days to be called a "Legend of Comics," does it?

From looking at those names, if you survive past, oh, 40 & show up in any capacity on the GCD, you're -- tah-dah! -- a "Legend of Comics."

For instance, I'm assuming that Tom Brevoort is a "Legend" as an editor, not a writer. (Although what do I know? Maybe he scripted some incredible minor variation on Spider-Man's costume that whipped all the fanboys into a buying frenzy in 1987 or something.) Not that editors can't be legends, as Julius Schwartz showed, but -- & I have no doubt that this can be attributed to my having been MIA for the entirety of the '80s & '90s -- I have only the vaguest idea that Brevoort ever existed. And I think of the Hildebrandts only as guys who painted somewhat poorly proportioned (I seem to recall their figures' hands almost always appearing a bit too large) elves-'n'-unicorns pb covers a couple of decades ago.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 06-01-2008 at 09:17 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I know it's horribly curmudgeonly of me to make this observation, but that's never stopped me before, so I'll go ahead & do it anyway:

Nothing against those guys, who after all didn't name the panel or anything, but it sure doesn't take much these days to be called a "Legend of Comics," does it?

From looking at those names, if you survive past, oh, 40 & show up in any capacity on the GCD, you're -- tah-dah! -- a "Legend of Comics."
    I agree. And it's ridiculous.

Cris Claremont is a legend. Greg Hildebrandt is a legend. I'm some guy.

PAD

Not a clone...I think

Quote Originally Posted by Peter David View Post
    Greg. Greg Hildebrandt was on the panel. Tim Hildebrandt, his brother, died two years ago.

The panel was called "living" legends, after all.

PAD
    Cool article. However, in the attempt to replace "Tim" with "Greg", it seems as though ALL "tim"s have been replaced, leaving us with sentences such as:

"UlGregately, he pointed out, Marvel is in the business of selling books."

and

"Over Grege, the average age got older and tastes got more sophisticated, allowing for more experimental storytelling and more adult topics."

Those gave me a double-take...

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter David View Post

Cris Claremont is a legend. Greg Hildebrandt is a legend. I'm some guy.
    Actually, Peter, I'm operating from the "Classic Rock Radio" model, whereby anything I can remember hearing on the radio as a kid cannot, by definition, be "classic" or an "oldie."

Correspondingly, no one whose career began while I was reading comics off the spinner racks (Claremont, Hildebrandt) can be considered a "legend." And of course that goes double for anyone whose career began (the rest of you guys) after I stopped reading comics off the spinner racks.

I feel confident is saying that this version of reality will not change until such time as I'm buried or cremated.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Actually, Peter, I'm operating from the "Classic Rock Radio" model, whereby anything I can remember hearing on the radio as a kid cannot, by definition, be "classic" or an "oldie."

Correspondingly, no one whose career began while I was reading comics off the spinner racks (Claremont, Hildebrandt) can be considered a "legend." And of course that goes double for anyone whose career began (the rest of you guys) after I stopped reading comics off the spinner racks.

I feel confident is saying that this version of reality will not change until such time as I'm buried or cremated.
    I think the best take on being a legend was Ringo Starr when he was hosting Saturday Night Live. In his opening monologue, he quietly but convincingly said that it was momentous for SNL to have him on because, well, he was a legend, and they'd never had a legend hosting SNL. And he started rattling off all these previous hosts of SNL and saying things like, "Great guy. Brilliant actor. But...not a legend. I'm a legend." And damned if he wasn't right. If you're a Beatle, you're a legend. Chris and Greg are Beatles. I'm one of the Beach Boys.

PAD

Oddball Cartoonist! Scott Shaw!'s Avatar

Exclamation

I guess that makes me one of the Banana Splits.

Aloha,

Scott!
    http://www.shawcartoons.com
    -----------
    SCOTT SHAW! presents ODDBALL COMICS:
    http://www.scottshawsoddballcomics.com

Valued Member Since 2008 semicyon's Avatar

Default Grege

Um, "Grege?"
    I thought it was some newfangled whippersnapper hip phrase kids were saying these days instead of "time"...

Appears, instead, to be an overzealous autoword-replace of the name "Tim" with "Greg".

Quote Originally Posted by bizmopeen View Post
    Cool article. However, in the attempt to replace "Tim" with "Greg", it seems as though ALL "tim"s have been replaced, leaving us with sentences such as:

"UlGregately, he pointed out, Marvel is in the business of selling books."

and

"Over Grege, the average age got older and tastes got more sophisticated, allowing for more experimental storytelling and more adult topics."

Those gave me a double-take...
    Oh, great spot - I came over to this thread to ask about that very glitch.

And sorry, Mr David, you're a legend, spoken of in hushed tones. Well, in my house.