Default PERFECT: "Street Fighter" Turns 20 with UDON Tribute Book

CBR speaks with UDON about "Street Fighter Tribute," a deluxe 320-page volume featuring more than 200 new illustrations commemorating 20 years of Street Fighter, with work by Adam Hughes, Bryan Lee O'Malley, J. Scott Campbell and more.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16578

Question: Have any of you played the original Street Fighter?

I played (and beat) it for the first time last night. My God it is awful. But somehow charming.

Also, the control was horrid and probably exacerbated by the X-Box controller.

The first Street Fighter game is worth playing for the digitized voice samples alone. Those fuzzy, garbled speeches really set the mood.

Green Mist of Death Young Avenger's Avatar

I played the original Street Fighter on the PSP. It's pure crap. No wonder Capcom chooses to ignore it. Anyway, I'm getting this book on day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian K. Vaughan
    Thanks. I don't know. I'm no Stan Lee, but I definitely know how to steal from him. Stan was the one who realized that great comics have nothing to do with powers, costumes, or continuity, and everything to do with using these heroes as timeless metaphors for something meaningful about our real lives.
    Quoted for truth

Help Save Ant-Man

I played it years ago at an arcade in Vegas. It was bad and I didn't get very far.
    "I think we can help. Mercedes is black; I'm gay. We make culture." - Kurt, Glee.

You can kill pretty much everyone with three fireballs. That is, if the unresponsive controls allow you to.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    You can kill pretty much everyone with three fireballs. That is, if the unresponsive controls allow you to.
    I wasn't able to pull of a single one at the time.
    "I think we can help. Mercedes is black; I'm gay. We make culture." - Kurt, Glee.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Question: Have any of you played the original Street Fighter?

I played (and beat) it for the first time last night. My God it is awful. But somehow charming.

Also, the control was horrid and probably exacerbated by the X-Box controller.
    I remember playing it on a vacation when I was 11 or 12. We were camping at a trailer park near San Diego and they had it. This was before SFII, so no one knew how to do squat on it. Every once in a while, a fireball would randomly happen, and we all freaked out. And the instructions on the cabinet were kind of bad, they said something to the effect of the harder you hit the buttons, the harder you hit. Looking back on it, the instructions meant punch hits harder than jab, but everyone ended up pounding the crap out of the buttons.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Apparently, there were two control schemes for the arcade game. One set of machines had the traditional joystick and six buttons, and another set had the joystick and two big buttons, one for kicks and the other for punches. Supposedly for the latter, you really had to knock the crap out of those buttons to register a fierce punch or kick.

Here's a couple more images from the Street Fighter Tribute Book featuring two versions of Chun-Li, one by the amazing Adam Hughes and the other from talented Udon artist, Chris Stevens -

Hope you enjoy them :) Regards,

Royd

I played the first Street Fighter game for the first time in an arcade over a decade ago. Street Fighter 2 was already out by this point, and I was happy to get a chance to play the original game for curiosities' sake. I didn't think it was particularly interesting.
    It wasn't until last year that I really got to play the game thanks to one of those classic collection things. I played the thing right the whole way through, and, oh God did it ever make me suffer.
    I think the thing has more value as a museum piece than as a genuine source of entertainment.

I'll be buying this. I have the last UDON tribute book.