Thread: JLA decision?

Default JLA decision?

I'm still pretty new to the DCU so here's a, hopefully, quick question...

I recently bought the Grant Morrision JLA trade 'New World Order', I really enjoyed it and found it easy to get into since it was written with the concept of stripping down the JLA at heart. I've tried reading the more recent JLA issues, two most recent issues and a couple of back issues, all from the current volume. I'm finding things a little bit harder to understand in the newer volume, because of not reading much other JLA at all really. I know it might sound like I should read more before I start asking, but I jsut wanted to know if any of you would recommend leaving the current JLA series and just picking up the older trades or if I should stick with both.

Obviously I know I should read more of both and get a better idea of what series I like but I'm trying to save a bit of cash since my pull list is costing me a fair bit each week.

You should read first more trades.

Paradox: "We're comic geeks. The word "shame" lost its meaning long ago".

Blade: [noticing vampire tattoo] You're human.
    Kounen: Barely. I'm a lawyer.

Patton: Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

The lineup is much better in the old Morrison JLAs. I think you'll probably enjoy those more (as much as it hurts me to steer anyone away from Dwayne McDuffie's work). JLA has just been all over the place recently, with no real story of its own as it jumps from crossover to crossover.

Now with Robinson's Justice League title starting, that might be a nice place for you to get in on the ground floor.

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

I'd really recommend sticking with Morrison's League work. Waid's follow-up stuff was pretty good too.
    I'd avoid Meltzer's stuff like the plague. It tends to be unrewardingly complex and obtuse, and is tied in too much to massive, company wide crossovers.
    If you can get a copy of it, Mark Waid and Barry Kitson's 'Justice League: Year One' is pretty good. There are a bunch of characters in there you may not be familiar with, but for the most part, it focuses on the core Justice League group (less Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman).

When I wanted to get into the JLA some months back.... I went back and picked up every single trade could find with the big seven in it and I fell in love with the league. For me it was the perfect spring board for builing interest into nthe various mythos of the DC universe while easing me into understanding the greater DC Universe.

So...yea I really do recommend picking up the the Morrison and Waid trades and probably some of the JLA classfied arcs....
    All stories are imaginary, so you get to decide what's important and what isn't. Continuity is fluid.

-Jeff Brady

Quoted for truth....

guess I'll stick with the Grant Morrison trades then, haha.

is the JLA right now worth reading though? or are there better series' going on? not asking for which series' 'cause that's a different thread entirely, haha. What's the deal with the James Robinson series? is it a new ongoing?

and what's the difference between classified and normal JLA? is it like All-Star or Ultimate or something?

I also vote to stick with Morrison and Waid's JLA.

To answer your question, no, I don't think JLA is currently worth reading. I did for a while but stopped because I found the plots boring and the dialogue was terrible... cheesy and unnatural-sounding. Some good series right now are Blue Beetle, Nightwing, Action, All-Star Superman, The Brave and the Bold, Booster Gold, Green Lantern... there are quite a few out there that are definitely worth checking out. And if you want a team book, Justice Society is supposedly very good (though I personally haven't read it yet, but I plan to).

You can read about Robinson's Justice League here: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=150409. Basically it's a team led by Green Arrow and Green Lantern and its goal is to bring justice rather than just respond to troubles. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, personally.

JLA Classified is out-of-continuity stories from the League's past. The series recently ended with #54.

BANNED

Grant Morrisons JLA was probably my favorite of his so far and its very easy to understand for a newcomer

I don't think i could recommend JLA right now even i find it confusing and i have been reading comics off an on for most of my life.

If anything i would recommend getting some stuff from the 70s and 80s it was much simpler straight forward stories then that weren't continuity and cross-over heavy.

Also get the Super buddies series that has some obscure peoples and fun light hearted stories.

I'll definitely take a look at the new Justice League series when it starts. I'll take a look at JSA too since I've heard a lot of people speak pretty highly of it on here, any good jumping-on points? old trades or right now? I just hate going into a series and being confused, spoils the read in my opinion, although most series have been going for a very long time, so if you jump on later then your going to be confused anyway, haha.

Brave and the Bold is that like a team-up series? and Justice League classified was recommended, can the same be said for JSA Classified?

JSA is only up to issue #15 and there are two hardcovers out now that collect up to #12. It would probably be best to just pick up the two hardcovers and then issues #13-15.

Yes, the Brave and the Bold is a team-up series. Again, I'd recommend starting from the beginning because issues 1-12 were good. But you should be able to start at #13 without a problem.
    Last edited by elise; 05-28-2008 at 07:41 AM.

thanks for your help, I'm going to my local comic shop tomorrow so I'll pick up some back issues there.

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

I would just say be kinda carefull on the later volumes of Morrisons JLA. I totaly loved the first 3 or 4, but to me it got pretty bad towards the end.