Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REFLECTIONS: Dan Jurgens

Esteemed writer and artist Dan Jurgens stops by REFLECTIONS to speak with about his return to Tangent Comics, drawing DC's hit "Booster Gold," his Metamorpho origin story, and much more.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16556

Good interview. I've always been a big fan of Jurgens' stories, I'm partial to those big sprawling epics too (Zero Hour, Panic in the Sky, etc.) I wonder if I'm the only person hoping to see Booster Gold go visit Martians now? :)

I also think it is telling that he realizes how many people want to keep reading Blue and Gold adventures in the Booster Gold title. I've figured Ted was dead meat from his first moment back, but maybe, just maybe there is a chance DC realizes the potential here...

I'm loving BOOSTER GOLD, and I hope Jurgens stays on a long, long time.

Of course, for that to happen, IT CAN NEVER BE CANCELED!

I'm a fan of Jurgens as both a writer and artist.

I wonder if DC has considered giving Jurgens the writing job on Booster once Dixon finshes up. He's the character's creator, knows him back to front, and is obviously already invested in the new status quo established by Katz and Johns. They could do far worse than allowing Jurgens free reign on the title.

Yeah you can put me down as a DJ fan!

I'd love to see a collection of his "Flash Gordon" mini-series (7 issues iirc) ... was that his first major work?

Just got a hold of the Showcase Booster Gold and enjoyed it very much! I never bought the comic when it first came out ... I guess the character just didn't appeal to me. How wrong I was! (I am, of course, following the current BG series ... it's great, currently one of my favourite series).

His Tangent Comic series remains a highlight for me.
    You see me now, a veteran of a thousand psychic wars

Love LOVE, LOVE Dan Jurgens work.

His writing, layout designs and pencil work is among the best in the business and like George Perez and Jerry Ordway, is one of the three reasons I still buy comics today. The fact that he's still doing monthly work, consistently excellent work I might add and on time gives me a reason to still search the shipping lists to stroll into the shop just to pick up his work.

At a time when I've become so disenchanted by the majority of stuff at DC and Marvel, its nice to know there's still diamonds in the roughs of amateur crap saturating the market.

So loving Booster Gold and I too hope it never gets cancelled.
    Last edited by brett tolino; 05-28-2008 at 08:17 AM.

[QUOTE=jam;6925799]Yeah you can put me down as a DJ fan!

I'd love to see a collection of his "Flash Gordon" mini-series (7 issues iirc) ... was that his first major work?

No, his first major series was Sun Devils, a beautifully original work by DC in the early 80s! Hunt it down, you won't be disappointed.

Huh, wasn't there something about the Sun Devils on one of Rip Hunters boards? I didn't know that was Jurgens' work.

Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    As Brett tolino stated, Sun Devils was Jurgens first work. The Flash Gordon miniseries wasn't released until1988, so Jugens had already done a fair amount of work for DC by that point, including the original Booster Gold series and the Warlord.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    As Brett tolino stated, Sun Devils was Jurgens first work. The Flash Gordon miniseries wasn't released until1988, so Jugens had already done a fair amount of work for DC by that point, including the original Booster Gold series and the Warlord.
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure, which is why I posed it in the form of a question rather than a statement. Flash Gordon is the first Jurgens work I ran into (at least, iirc).

I'd still like to see it collected. I remember at the time thinking "who is this upstart and how dare he think he can retcon/reboot a comic strip icon" but blimey, he did a bang-up job! And from that point on, I was, and remain, a fan of DJ's work.

Never heard of Sun Devils ...
    You see me now, a veteran of a thousand psychic wars