Default Beloved Retailer Rory Root Passes Away

The comics industry is in mourning this week following the death of legendary Bay Area retailer Rory Root, owner of Comic Relief, The Comic Bookstore. CBR pays tribute to and shares memories of Root, an influential figure to say the least.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16483

omg.. this is so sad. I always saw him at cons and I'd always visit Comic Relief when I was visiting the Bay area. The first time I went into his store he randomly gave me and a group of my friends free passes to see a Dark City screening across the street at the college that night. We were kids barely out of high school and I remember being totally flattered. Fun night :) I also remember that it was the first store I'd been to that had an immense collection of graphic novels that hit pretty much every genre. He was a really awesome guy.

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

This is a real shame.

I never met the man myself but I'd heard what a fantastic comic shop Berkeley's Comic Relief was and also what a friendly guy Rory was, even over here in England.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City • Kick-Ass 3 • Star Wars: Dark Times • Superior Spider-Man

Oh my Lord. I go to Comic Relief all the time and I've only seen this dude a couple of times...but when I have seen him he was either helping an employee learn the ropes or just chilling and talking comics with someone.

I'm sad I didn't get to see more of him. He seems like a cool dude.

a guy who reads comics Weapon Ick's Avatar

Oh my god. This is really sad. He was such a kind and helpful guy. He treated everyone with respect. It breaks my heart that I won't see him again. :'( It's going to be so hard fighting back the tears tomorrow picking up my comics.

The Flying Fist Ranch BeauSmith's Avatar

Default In Memory Of Rory Root

For Immediate Release
    Contact Beau Smith 304-453-6565
    beau@flyingfistranch.com

In Memory Of Rory Root
    Busted Knuckles Memorial Toast To A Friend And Retailer

Ceredo, WV. (May 21, 2008)—This past week the comic book business lost a friend and innovative retailer in Rory Root, owner of Comic Relief in Berkley, California. In memory of Rory, I am dedicating this week’s Busted Knuckles to him and the friendship that we shared over the last twenty plus years.

Just click on the link below and join me.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/busted...4133134885.htm