Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Where to start with Captain America?

So I've been getting kinda interested in the Captain America book. I understand that Cap just recently died and somebody else has taken over in his spot. I sorta figured that storyline would be a good start. So I'd like to know if there is a paperback I should start with, or what issue I should start at.
    Thanks for the help.

the ominous of Bru cap is the best start

everything since #1 is essential to the story
    Cyclops ad portas

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

The trades and premiere hardcovers thus far are:

1 - Captain America: Winter Soldier Part One
    2 - Captain America: Winter Soldier Part Two
    3 - Captain America: Red Menace Part One
    4 - Captain America: Red Menace Part Two
    5 - Civil War: Captain America
    6 - Captain America: The Death of Captain America Part One
    7 - Captain America: The Death of Captain America Part Two (The Burden of Dreams)

Yeah . . . they've been getting a little subtitle happy.

Anyway, the omnibus includes everything up through the fifth volume, plus an issue from the sixth. It's an option. The first and sixth volumes are probably the best starting points.
    Expletive Deleted

Thanks Expletive. That's what I was looking for. Sorry I put it in the wrong forum, I had no idea Cap was part of the Avengers! heh

When does/did Burden of Dreams come out?

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

If you're okay with reading comics on a computer, there's a DVD-Rom that collects every issue of Captain America from 1964 until his death in 2007 for around $50. Brubaker includes some payoffs for long time Cap readers, so you might want to check it out.

There's also an Omnibus that collects issues 1-25 (2004-07) for $50, as well as two Captain America specials.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

asm sales are falling yadadaimhollaing's Avatar

the fallenson trade is pretty good too. it shows how the caps death affects those that are close to him.
    comic fans aren't happy unless there's something to bitch about

I buy comics for the characters not for the writer/artist

currently reading issue 340 of amazing spiderman cd-rom.
    PRO-BND

thanks everybody, I think I'd prefer to read actual books over a CD. I'll have to check out the Fallen Son book too. That looks really good!

Default Getting Into Captain America

Hey guys.

I've basically ignored Captain America, and comics in general, for the past 20 or so years. When I was 10 he was my favorite character, and I still have an old stack of issues.

After hearing a lot about the current run from my friend, lately I've gotten the itch to get back into reading/collecting and was wondering..well..where do I start?

I guess first I'd have to read something like Civil War to catch up to his death.

From there, though, where do I go?

Shield of the True North CaptainCanada's Avatar

The current Brubaker run is a classic, collected in a series of trades:

Winter Soldier v.1-2, Red Menace v.1-2, Death of Captain America, v.1-2 (3 on the way). Reading those sequentially would be my recommendation (there's also a Captain America Omnibus that collects all the Winter Soldier and Red Menace ones, as well as the first issue of Death of Captain America).
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson

So, just to make this clear, even if I have zero understanding as to where the Marvel Universe as a whole generally stands, Civil War is not necessary reading?

Is it worth going back to check after I've made it through 41 issues of Cap?

It'd be useful to at least know the basics of Civil War; you can get that from Wikipedia if necessary, or read the story (if you're planning to read a lot of other MU titles, you might do well to read the story, since it's pretty important to the current status of most of the universe).
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson

I'll stab you in the back SilverDagger's Avatar

I've never read any Captain America and plan to pick up the Brubaker Omnibus. Are there any past books or arcs that I should pick up to fill in any important background?

No, the Omnibus tells you what you need to know.

- Homer Simpson

Default Where should I start in Captain America?

So I've been hearing a lot about the new Captain America and I'm interested in getting into the series. I just don't know where I should start. Should I start at the beginning of the volume or start where Bucky becomes Cap?
    Last edited by djk61387; 01-06-2009 at 09:31 AM.