Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Spend Free Comic Book Day with CBR

CBR will celebrate Free Comic Book Day in grand fashion tomorrow, live from the Image Founders signing at Atomic Comics in Phoenix, plus reports on CBR Live from 17 correspondents in nine cities!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=16273

Ah, yes. FCBD at the Mesa "superstore". With lines wrapped around the inside of the store, totally blocking access to the new/recent racks. With staff rudely haranguing anyone unlucky enough to be caught looking through the back-number bins. With that ridiculous one-book-per-customer policy -- even pull-list customers couldn't pre-order FCBD books, even if one was willing to cover wholesale costs. With those creepy, creepy, creepy guys in skin-tight costumes getting way too close to way too many toddlers.

They get worse and worse every year. Last year's was so horrible that, on top of having lost an LCS for several months following the unexpected opening of the Mesa drive-thru window, it moved me to online buying entirely. If it weren't for a niece begging me to take her, I wouldn't go within two miles of the place tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by ykw View Post
    Ah, yes. FCBD at the Mesa "superstore". With lines wrapped around the inside of the store, totally blocking access to the new/recent racks. With staff rudely haranguing anyone unlucky enough to be caught looking through the back-number bins. With that ridiculous one-book-per-customer policy -- even pull-list customers couldn't pre-order FCBD books, even if one was willing to cover wholesale costs. With those creepy, creepy, creepy guys in skin-tight costumes getting way too close to way too many toddlers.

They get worse and worse every year. Last year's was so horrible that, on top of having lost an LCS for several months following the unexpected opening of the Mesa drive-thru window, it moved me to online buying entirely. If it weren't for a niece begging me to take her, I wouldn't go within two miles of the place tomorrow...
    I love that the Atomic FCBD event bothers you so much you just had to create an account and express your fierce loathing. I'm serious, I love it.

See you there!

My LCS doesnt participate in FCBD - he says it costs too much.

I went to the local Hastings (chain book/video store) late. They put out some back issues for free, too. Justice League of America, Buffy.

Once again, I actually ordered and paid for the entire FCBD line through my mail order service.
    "I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

Nick Helm, funniest gag winner, Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Quote Originally Posted by andy khouri View Post
    I love that the Atomic FCBD event bothers you so much you just had to create an account and express your fierce loathing. I'm serious, I love it.

See you there!
    Honestly, I've vacillated over joining for a long time, taking many a CBR story out to usenet for discussion. It annoys me no end that something this anal is what put me over the edge...

Anyway, you prolly did see me -- the guy in the black DBacks jersey. Loved the way Mike & co. moved the lines and attractions outside the building this year. Made the experience much, much more enjoyable (and made shopping finally possible!).

Now, if Atomic can just work the kinks outta that one-book-per-customer thing next time...

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I read the blog coverage. Seems like people were out en masse and had a reasonably good time on Saturday.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by ykw View Post
    Loved the way Mike & co. moved the lines and attractions outside the building this year. Made the experience much, much more enjoyable (and made shopping finally possible!).
    You obviously weren't one of the ones in the lines then.

I went for a while. Got there a lot later than I had planned...about 11:45 or so, so I knew that I'd be waiting a long time as people would have already been in line for hours ahead of me. There was one sign saying the line started at the back of the store. I saw a line stretching from the back of the store to the front with people holding tons of things by the Image creators. Asked the guy at the end if this was the line for the signing. He nodded, so I queued up to wait.

About 10 minutes later, the employee that was supposed to be monitoring the line stopped talking to his friend long enough to tell me that this was the line for the box holders only and I'd have to go "out the back door and to the left". Made my way through the packed store and started following the line around the store and found it wrapped all the way around to the front.

So, to start off with, I had wasted about 15 mins in the wrong line and finding the end of the line when them having someone (or a good sign) pointing out to go left for the end of the line would've saved us all aggravation. And I wasn't the only one. The majority of the people around me were grumbling about similar experiences..most frequently waiting in the Spider-man line for an hour or two.

About 12:20 or so, an employee came around to say that Jim Lee's plane had been delayed. Even though the others had already arrived, the event wasn't going to start until 1. The reason being is that they didn't want to worry about the line being backed up or having to create another one when he arrived. That didn't make a lot of sense as they were already going to have to do that with McFarlane.

So, about 12:45, they gave an update that the owner had just picked up Jim Lee and they hoped to start at 1. Well, the airport is a good 15 mins away from the store and they said that they had to take him to the hotel where he was staying and pick up the others, so it was obvious that there was no way that was going to happen. Best case is that it would be 1:15..and that was doubtful as it would require everyone to be waiting and ready to go.

At this point, I figured that it would be probably 1:30 before they even started. Then, they would let all the box holders go first (at least that's what I was told)...even the ones that were just arriving. So, it would be after 2 before the line I was in even started to move.

The good thing about the events at Atomic is that usually they let the creators go at their own pace. Which is good when you get to them as you can usually chat a bit more than you do at other places, get tons of things signed, get sketches, etc. However, it does make the line move slowly and fans get turned away because of it.

I guessed that I might get up to the creators by 4 at the earliest...with the possibility that I might not get up there at all or only in the hurry up mode at the end where you hold out your one item, they sign it without even looking up and you're waved ahead. In the meantime, I would be standing out in the 90 degree weather with no shade and on frying hot pavement. I decided to bail.