Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

"DC Universe 0" Analysis

Justin Eger and Brian K. Eason, authors of CBR's T-MINUS, bring you an in-depth look at "DC Universe 0," and it may portend for "Final Crisis" and other books throughout DC Comics.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16287

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto Rocks View Post
    The "burning dude" was Darkseid.
    He's red now? Wtf?

And I'm confused about Wally's "death." IIRC he didn't actually die but was trapped in the time stream or something. I remember reading somewhere that Mark Waid said this. Also, didn't he just appear in Infinite Crisis to help fight Prime?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa View Post
    He's red now? Wtf?
    You need to get DEATH OF THE NEW GODS # 8 and COUNTDOWN TO FINAL CRISIS # 1 for the latest on Darkseid.

And I'm confused about Wally's "death." IIRC he didn't actually die but was trapped in the time stream or something. I remember reading somewhere that Mark Waid said this. Also, didn't he just appear in Infinite Crisis to help fight Prime?
    Are we talking about Wally or Barry here?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 05-05-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa View Post
    He's red now? Wtf?
    No, he's just on fire. Probably Phoenixy flames of rebirth or something like that.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I like Wally West. (Wait for it, here it comes...) But/however, ever since he took on Barry's costume as The Flash, he has been hanging around both the Justice League and Titans. I will always see Wally with Grath, Dick, Roy and Donna. I will always see The Flash as part of the Justice League.

I think Barry's sacrifice was incredible. Probably one of the coolest moments in comics. If Morrison and Johns can do for Barry Allen what has been done for Hal Jordan - and bring back Iris and they're married again (yeah, I know, dream on) and make Barry as CSI for Central City (the TV series was sooooooo close with that one) with some cool supporting characters - I think I would add The Flash to Green Lantern on my pull list.

As long as Wally becomes something else and stays with Garth, Dick, Roy and Donna. maybe he could take the name Impulse...

Just don't kill him...

Default Did anyone else notiice what the Legionnaires were doing?

I missed this the first time I read the book, but when I looked over the Pèrez art on the Legion segment, I noticed several things about the seance...

First- The tiny chair on the table. Brainiac 5, Phantom Girl, White Witch and the others are sitting at the old JLA meeting table in their original cave headquarters.

Second- The crystal ball is the same one used in the first JLA-JSA crossover to contact the Justice Society on Earth-Two.

Added to the dialog stating that they are looking for reinforcements, it looks like they are recruiting across dimensions. Fitting for teasing a comic subtitled "Legion of Three Worlds".

(I know Paul Newell will care)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Geren View Post
    I missed this the first time I read the book, but when I looked over the Pèrez art on the Legion segment, I noticed several things about the seance...

First- The tiny chair on the table. Brainiac 5, Phantom Girl, White Witch and the others are sitting at the old JLA meeting table in their original cave headquarters.

Second- The crystal ball is the same one used in the first JLA-JSA crossover to contact the Justice Society on Earth-Two.

Added to the dialog stating that they are looking for reinforcements, it looks like they are recruiting across dimensions. Fitting for teasing a comic subtitled "Legion of Three Worlds".

I noticed that too. It was a nice touch.

This comic was brilliant, and makes me feel optimistic about the next year of DC comics. Hopefully they have learned from some of their recent mistakes, and can get back on track.

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Default keep Wally, dammit.

I like what's been done with Wally--having Barrry return makes Wally a second banana. I wonder will he be forced to be Kid Flash or Flash Junior or something?
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

I am surprised the reviewers really liked DC Universe #0. I thought it was pretty lame, just a bunch of teasers to make you buy some of these books. The Legion of SuperHeroes thing was the only cool thing I really liked.

We'll have to see where they go with Barry Allen. Even though Barry was my first Flash, I always thought Wally was a better character with more potential for conflict. If Barry does come back after Final Crisis, they gotta find a way to keep Wally.

Does everyone here think like me--that Bart Allen isn't really dead and will come back in the Final Crisis Legion of Three Worlds?

I don't get why people complain it was just a grand ad. First off, for 50 cents, each of those stories was way better than most of the comics coming out today. Everyone knew it was just going to be various set ups for the coming year. Which is exactly what it was. I thought it was a great read, and definitely got me excited for everything coming up. With the exception of Wonder Woman.

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoTT View Post
    I don't get why people complain it was just a grand ad. First off, for 50 cents, each of those stories was way better than most of the comics coming out today. Everyone knew it was just going to be various set ups for the coming year. Which is exactly what it was. I thought it was a great read, and definitely got me excited for everything coming up. With the exception of Wonder Woman.
    Usually, Wonder Woman is the weak part of a big DC crossover... but Diana vs. potentially an evil duplicate of herself, a new character created from the soil of places of genocide? Plus, being forsaken by the Greek Gods, and they send a group of Spartan looking guys after the Amazons? And it's written by Gail Simone? Dude, I'm even sold on that.

The dumbest thing I ever saw DC do, was have Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, and Gail Simone sit on the bench, so to speak for a year. They're crafting the storylines we're about to read. It's like they went feast or famine, really. Countdown was the year where the best creative talent was allowed to work harder on the year they really wanted to clean up. Now, all that work they did will bear fruit.

Unless I'm wrong, and the Final Crisis I'm actually intrigued by quickly turns into a cluster****.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

ACTION! DANGER! ROMANCE! Paul Newell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Geren View Post
    It was a really nice nod to the first JLA/JSA crossover.

And welcome back Greg, long time no see. :)

The sad thing for me is, had this come out 5 years ago, I would have been as excited as everybody else.

These days? All I can do is wonder how they will screw this up too.

So no, I'm not buying Final Crisis. Or ANY of its tie ins. At least until it's over. And if turns out I'm wrong and it's good after all, I'll just pick up the (inevitable) collections soon to come.

Default Did Barry actually die?

We saw his flesh dissolving but he kept running until his suit is just laying there empty. Perhaps he ran so fast he converted to the speed force and became one with the multi-verse as atoms and now the multi-verse via the Source is putting those atoms back together to re-create Barry Allen the flash. At the start of 0 he calls the JLA his "protectors" as in protectors of the multi-verse but as the issue progresses he remembers more of his human life. Perhaps, Barry was always the "speed force" and now is becoming manifest in human form again....Or perhaps he was the one thrown out of Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    A nice finishing touch to the issue would have been one more page, showing Barry in material form (possibly just the lightning logo on the chest of his Flash costume), with the caption, "My name is Barry Allen...now and forevermore, I'm the Flash...the Fastest Man ALIVE!", with the emphasis on the word "alive."
    I think everyone who has enough comics-fu to realize why this is such a zomgwtf big deal was able to intuit that from just that little yellow icon in the word box. Had I been doing it, I would have done almost exactly what you suggest-- but in hindsight, I admire the restraint.

You KNOW exactly what it means, the context it puts to the whole issue, and what it portends for the series to come-- and all it took was this tiny little icon.

Also: "forevermore"?
    Really?

See, me, I think this is a last hurrah. Barry's a more powerful character dead than he is alive-- I think it was Waid that pointed out that other superheroes invoke him like a saint. He's the only "heroic sacrifice death" that actually stuck. It's part of what makes him arguably the best superhero in comics.

Which means he could be absolutely pitch-perfect here in Morrison's little 'ultimate DCU story'-- there's no one who can play the messiah-role better. He's the only one who can credibly surpass Superman as the DCU's ultimate hero (if only temporarily). But after that, if you keep him around, there's nowhere for him to go, huge convoluted continuity to deal with and a generation of comic fans that don't associate Barry Allen with being THE Flash. He's been dead for 23 years, after all.

I think the best outcome would be letting Barry save the multiverse-- one last time-- and then go... somewhere else-- and in the process, finally completing the long rite of passage, leaving Wally as the definitive Flash.