Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looks like BoP will be losing Nicola Scott

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=154269

So, Gail's confirmed in NY, a new Secret Six on-going with Nicola Scott. Congrats to the both of them. I'll really miss Nicola on BoP. I'm not sure how many issues Nicola will be doing with you Tony but hopefully DC will find the right artist team for you Tony. I know you're going to give all you've got to the BIRDS, so hopefully they be no weak links!

Damn this is happy and sad news. I'm happy because of the Secret Six ongoing but a little disappointed Nicola's going to have to bounce. Maybe will get some BoP and SS crossovers. That would be on fire!

BANNED

It be awesome, awesome awesome is Sean Chen went on to do birds since by the time this starts Salvations Run will be over. Chen is super super amazing and he deserves the kind of exposure to dc that birds would give him.

Or Tony Daniels would be amazing as well for a birds artist.

I agree with Sean Chen. His Salvation Run work has been outstanding. He's fo sure up and coming. I've often thought he'd do the Birds title justice but never really put too much thought into since I assumed Nicola would be around for a while. But I do think Tony and Sean would knock it out the park.

Tony Daniels would be awesome as well but would he go from Batman to BoP. I dunno.

I wonder what Stephane Roux would do. I haven't liked all his BoP covers. They've looked too caricature like and diminish the Birds sex appeal too much, IMO. But I did like his July BoP cover and his July Supergirl cover. Very different than what he was doing.

Another person is Cliff Richards whose done or doing the Huntress Year One. I like his tight pencils. Kind of reminds me of Shane Davis (Superman/Batman).

Whoever it is, I just hope has some amazing chemistry with Tony. I have no doubt Tony's going to give his all and them some to the Birds. He deserves to have the same reciporated to him as does BoP fans.
    Last edited by Alexx1; 04-19-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Okay, I'm leaning more and more towards Cliff Richards now. He's doing the six part Huntress Year One. This was posted over on newsarama when we we discussing who should take over as BoP artist. DAYUM!!! Is all I can say.

Tony, grab him up, dude!!!
    Last edited by Alexx1; 04-20-2008 at 08:07 AM.

Not sure if that website is having tech difficulities or what.

Cliff Richards Huntress YO

Last edited by Alexx1; 04-22-2008 at 06:52 AM.

If it's true about Scott leaving then I'm sorry to see her go. I like Richards work as well and agree he'd be perfect for Birds Of Prey.

The best there is. WOLVERINE25TH's Avatar

It is a mixed bag of news, but until a name is announced I'm not overly worried. DC is usually pretty good at picking quality talent for their books these days. Hell, they put both McKeever AND Bedard on BoP after Gail, and you can't get much more quality than that!

I'm going to come out of lurkdom to say I think Cliff would be an excellent choice. If I'm not mistaking Cliff pencilled the first six issues of the first 6-part "Rogue" mini, while Tony, you wrote the next six issues of the 6-part "Rogue" mini. Or something like that. Its been a while. Too bad the two of you didn't get to hook up then.

...A big, loyal fan of your work: Negation (War), KKBB, The New Exiles, of course your DC work, etc...if you write, I'll read it. The icing on the cake for me is that you'll be writing (on-goingly I might add) a book I consider my guilty pleasure. So it's win win all around for me.

I want you to know you have a big fan following in NC, the Piedmont Triad area to be exact. Hopefully you can find some time to come our way in the near future.

Now I'm going to go back to lurking where I'm most comfortable. Best to you!

Erica

My mother-in-law has a place near Asheville. That's not part of the Piedmont Triad, is it?

Anyhow, Cliff Richards did an issue of ROUTE 666 with me, and I definitely liked his stuff. He might be busy for a while finishing up the Huntress book.

I love Sean's work and want very much to work with him some day. He's an old friend from my Valiant days and a terrific person.

Keep the suggestions coming. Nicola's doing a bit more Birds before embarking on her new book (she and Gail will kick much ass!), so maybe a name you drop here will help us determine the next BoP artist.
    Visit the RETRO ROCKET homepage!
    http://www.jasonorfalas.com/retrorocket.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bedard View Post

Keep the suggestions coming. Nicola's doing a bit more Birds before embarking on her new book (she and Gail will kick much ass!), so maybe a name you drop here will help us determine the next BoP artist.

Well its nice to hear we get a bit more Nicola on BoP. And if you can't get Cliff Richards or Sean Chen which I still hope you can pull one of them, then maybe Ron Adrian. He's got some BoP experience. I remember when he alternated the Between Dark and Dawn arc with Ed Benes. There wasn't a big difference between the two but there were small differences and I happen to prefer Ron's. It also be neat to get Alex Lei on as inker. Perhaps Jamal Ingle as well. I'm sure DC will get the best person that fits what you're looking for. It still would be sweet if that were Richards or Chen.

BANNED

If people have yet to see Sean Chen's work on Sensational which was the best Spidey book out there for a long time, before it sadly got canceled(now again I am spider-man book free, which saddens me), his version of Black Cat is amazing and shows just why he be perfect for the birds. His style is close to Scott's, but a little more gritty if thats even possible and yet at the same time sexy and smooth.

I also have to strongly, strongly disagree with Alexx on Ron being better than Ed Bene's. Bene's Huntress was the best to date on the birds title and next to Jim lee he's probably the best person to draw that character.

Scott's Huntress has come a long, long way from the beginning, but she still lacks a muscle figure that she had before with Benes and I liked the way Ed did the mask/hair/face better than anyone else too. I also don't like how Huntress's hair drapes over the mask points a lot with Scott considering the whole point of the points is too keep the hair behind the mask, which they did previously. (well the whole point other than making that mask look really friggin cool and be the best mask in comics to date that is)

Not to mention Ed is probably still the best person to do Birds as his Cheshire, Shiva, BC and Babs were all top notch as well.

all I have seen of Jamal Igle is his titans stuff and I rather he not even remotely touch my precious birds. I prefer the birds to be gritty and dark, not puggy and cartoony. His fill in issue of TT for Barrows made me glad that Barrows would be the main guy on the title. His characters not only looked overly old for teenagers, but they were way too thick and their facial expressions were not that great. Also his adult titans cover had all the same issues, too much weight/thickness and bad facial work.

I really don't see why people give him so much praise, unless he has done something non titans thats impressive for some reason.

I wouldn't mind Barrows and his style doing titans, but I guess he cannot do 2 books at once as he left doing a great job with Starfire on Countdown to Adventure in order to spend full time on TT.
    Last edited by Johnny_Luck; 04-23-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Johnny Luck, I don't think I said or implied Ron was BETTER than Ed. I said I PREFERRED his pencils to Ed's on that arc they shared. Their Huntress's were almost identical. However, their Helena Bertinelli was quite different. Ed's Helena's breast often hung out her shirt where you didn't get that with Ron's. And he's Helena was slightly prettier, IMO than Ed's. There were small difference between their Vixen's and I preferred Ron's subtly for this arc.

If Ed came back to the title I'd jump for joy. He is the definitive drawer for Huntress hands down. I also PREFER Huntress custom during Ed's tenure to the one now. But that doesn't mean it's BETTER than Nicola's outfit. It's my preference! I'll still hold out hope Cliff or Sean will get the job next. I too want someone who can do beatiful and gritty.
    Last edited by Alexx1; 04-23-2008 at 09:07 PM.

BANNED

And I wasn't trying to attack you for your thoughts. I just have to say I still disagree on both parts about Helena and Vixen. I think his Helena was amazing as well as his Huntress. I have even seen a bunch of non birds Helena stuff from Benes done online and have to say I think he does an excellent, excellent job with that part.

I also don't remember her boobs hanging out like you said they did, but thats to say it didn't happen once or something.

I mean Of Like Minds and Sensei and Student show how excellent he is at both both he even did Between Dark and Dawn. Also his work with The Battle Within, thats some of his best stuff there.

I also wouldn't mind her going back to the Ed Benes/Lee version of the costume, but then a group of people would end up throwing hissy fits because while it looks good, its not practical 100 percent of the time. Though if heroes really went for that then all of them would be wearing bullet proof helmets as they die more easily from a bullet to the head than a bullet to the stomach. Not to mention the likelyhood of lightning striking twice and her getting shot in the stomach again is very slim.(but I not gonna rant anymore about that)
    It be nice thing to do now that Gail is gone as she seemed to be the one to rally for that unneeded change when Ed left. That might even be why Ed left.

However thats not to say her costume isn't likable now, but its been better. Also I hope that whomever comes on next gets the mask right, right away.
    Last edited by Johnny_Luck; 04-23-2008 at 09:44 PM.

I'll second (third, whatever) both Sean Chen, Cliff Richards (with or without the rest of the Shadows), and James Ingle.

I'll throw in the name Joe Bennett, who's BoP run was short but very, very sweet.

Finally, if Leonard Kirk's Marvel exclusive is almost up, I think he'd do a great job.

Paulo Sequeira.. that is all