Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1960s The Avengers

In a world of high technological super heroes and villains, who here still remembers the charms and sophistication of the 1960s John Steed and Mrs. Emma Peel?

‘The Avengers’

Quote Originally Posted by Ganatus View Post
    In a world of high technological super heroes and villains, who here still remembers the charms and sophistication of the 1960s John Steed and Mrs. Emma Peel?

‘The Avengers’
    It was from Steed & Peel that I first developed my affinity for the Bently!

Later I enjoyed Joanna Lumley as Purdy, and had a hot-monkey-love-thing for Mike Gambit!

Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

Doctor Strange Historian SanctumSanctorumComix's Avatar

ahhhh.... I've always loved that show.

I used to watch it as a kid (the Mrs. Peel episodes were imported the the US, along with some of the Tara King shows), and then as an adult, I bought the entire run on VHS.
    From the b/w Mrs. Gale episodes to the Tara King weirdness.

THEN, when it was all re-released on DVD I re-bought the whole series, but this time starting from Dr. Keel & Dr. King all the way thru the "New Avengers" with Purdey & Gambit.

I don't know why some people loathe the Tara King episodes as much as they do.
    SURE, she wasn't a hottie like Diana Rigg's Emma Peel in leather jumpsuits, but the show added some interesting new angles.
    The "training facility" aspect to the "Ministry" was interesting, and despite myself, I actually liked "Mother" (a fact that will have me called an idiot by most other fans of the show).

Sadly, the Tara King episodes WERE more juvenile in their bent, taking a step backwards in "coolness" from the previous incarnations, but they were still enjoyable.

The only Avengers episodes I really didn't like were early ones with nightclub singer Venus Smith (Julie Stevens). The songs in each episode were horrid (not a big fan of her "lounge-singer" style) and disrupted the action.

Otherwise the show will always be a favorite.

The MOVIE on the other hand...

Ralph Fiennes looks like a little kid dressed up in his daddy's suit and hat, playing "grown-up".
    NOT a good bit of casting.

While I'm not usually a fan of Uma Thurman (although she was great in "Kill Bill"), she was a passable Emma Peel.

Ah well...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

~P~
    P-TOR

Quote Originally Posted by Ganatus View Post

‘The Avengers’
    Everyone!!!
    Religion is like a fart. It's only good when all the others stink.

Russell T Davies should re-launch the Avengers next. Joanna Lumley can reprise her role of "Purdey," but this time be the "Steed" to a young able/boytoy new agent.

Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

Lailoni Prime Vespa Stressfactor's Avatar

I didn't discover the Avengers until the late 1990's when I found some of the A & E produced videos at my local library. I checked them out and (they were the Diana Rigg era ones) simply fell in love. I bought all of the Emma Peel and Cathy Gale era VHS tapes. I would LOVE to own them on DVD but I haven't had the free money.

I had no idea that the few surviving earliest episodes were available on DVD now -- SanctumSanctorumComix do you know, are those availible in the United States?

As for the movie.... I think it just tried TOO hard to have that funny-quirkiness of the Peel through King years. The movie felt forced tongue in cheek while the TV series felt a lot more natural and kept a lighter hand with the spoofing.
    My crazy blog of weird and geeky stuff http://compoundgeekery.blogspot.com/ RANDOM!

"Your Silliness is noted." K-9

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.

It’s a Saturday afternoon sometime in 1972 and I’m looking through the TV guide for something, anything, to watch.

Suddenly I see a listing for “The Avengers” and my heart skips a beat, because seeing that name I made the natural assumption that there was some kind of cartoon with Cap and the gang that I somehow didn’t know about.

I figured it might be old episodes of Marvel Superheroes or something.

Then I sat down and turned on the TV and saw something completely unexpected.

Now for about 30 seconds I was disappointed because I didn’t see Iron Man on screen. But that disappointment only lasted for about a minute and suddenly I was deeply involved with the story of the Cybernauts.

Steed was easily the coolest spy I had ever watched on TV, and Mrs. Peel, well Mrs. Peel was Mrs. Peel and there is no point in describing a reaction that most of us felt.

And for the record, much love to Purdy sure, but Tara King was great too.

I forgot to add.... I don't think I would want RTD or really ANYONE to try to resurrect The Avengers. It was a perfect fit for its time period but I just can't see the tongue-in-cheek, over-the-top, spy wittiness hitting it big with modern audiences.

However, words to live by from Mrs. Peel.... "Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds."
    My crazy blog of weird and geeky stuff http://compoundgeekery.blogspot.com/ RANDOM!

I agree with Sanctum; the Julie Stevens AVENGERS eps are really peculiar.

I've always assumed they were the result of behind-the-scenes "deal-making" to show off her talents, but who would know any more?
    Dare you delve into... THE ARCHETYPAL ARCHIVE?

Why, it's... NATURALISTIC! UNCANNY! MARVELOUS!

Veteran Member

Love the 60s Avengers. The 70s one wasn't bad either. Or maybe it was, I dunno, but I remember liking it when I was a kid.

The Avengers is one show I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of, since it's always been reincarnated in various forms throughout its history. But I don't want to see new actors playing Steed and Peel or anything like that; just create some new characters altogether to take their place, like the New Avengers (was that what it was called?) did in the 70s.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

was i dreaming or were there bad guys dressed in colorful teddy bear costumes in the 90's movie?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Yes.... and for no good reason except to apparently be an attempt at an oblique commentary on those blasted Beanie Baby Bears that were so popular and everyone was collecting...

.....she gets her god like powers from my side of the family

..............did the grant morrison avengers comic ( dark horse ?) ever get collected ? dc should do a vertigo version - i can totaly see frank quitley's emma peel

Last edited by ultramandingo; 04-14-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: ........yowy

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ultramandingo View Post
    ..............did the grant morrison avengers comic ( dark horse ?) ever get collected ? dc should do a vertigo version - i can totaly see frank quitley's emma peel

she auditioning for the Hellfire Club, or what?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

.....she gets her god like powers from my side of the family

..........she kinda started the hell fire club . google it