Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post

If you're doing a movie version, and following the book, you're basically intersplicing the narratives so that continuity is a bit more direct, having it narration over "found footage" or TV clips.

But I'm not sure anyone really wants that movie, either.
    that sounds alot better than the alternative. i personally thought they should have had the interviewer interview the people from the book and show their story in a flashback type vignette.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy
    is it just me, or is this forum very homosexual? Seems like it's just the norm for people here to be homosexuals. Seriously, was this community founded for that purpose? If so, I'm just dense or something cause I never read anything stating that when I signed up.
    LMAO!

http://myspace.com/urban_prince

Venomous Female Tish-the-Scorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackdragon6 View Post
    that sounds alot better than the alternative. i personally thought they should have had the interviewer interview the people from the book and show their story in a flashback type vignette.
    this....in fact that's what i thought they was gonna do in the first place till i read straczynski's 2nd draft (which was still good). then after that they changed the synopsis completely and i was like WTF???
    Okay, before this thread this is what I knew about Tish, zip, zero, nada.
    I now know that Tish is a heavily armed, black, bi-sexual, truck driving woman who likes going to the clubs.
    I don't think I learned this much about Tom in six months let alone one post. - Boldido

I'm begining to like Tish more and more, that's what I know. - cable guy

"We were forced to build America, and if forced to, we will tear it down." Huey P. Newton

Thing is, you want to make it like the book? Get Ken Burns. Or someone who can rip off Ken Burns.

World War Z was not a horror novel. It's hard to tell horror from the POV of an event that's already happened, when you don't have a flashlight to shine in your face around a campfire. It was faux-journalism, a fake oral history, in the Studs Terkl style. If you're doing a movie version, and following the book, you're basically intersplicing the narratives so that continuity is a bit more direct, having it narration over "found footage" or TV clips.

It is a horror novel, the whole thing is about the horrors of living in this new world with zombies, and the horrors people went through when dealing with the zombies. The stories all play like some kind of horror story, just because it's an epistolary story doesn't mean it isn't horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    It is a horror novel, the whole thing is about the horrors of living in this new world with zombies, and the horrors people went through when dealing with the zombies. The stories all play like some kind of horror story, just because it's an epistolary story doesn't mean it isn't horror.
    What can I say. You scare easy. Like a little girl.

Seriously though, there are no moments of tension. No moments of danger. It's a horror story told after the fact. Which isn't much of a horror story.
    The Punisher: I’m going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pants™ Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and you’ll die screaming! And I’ll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Seriously though, there are no moments of tension. No moments of danger. It's a horror story told after the fact. Which isn't much of a horror story.

There may not be moments of danger for the one person telling the story (or at least you know they aren't going to die), but there are for all the other characters in the story with them.

Seriously though, there are no moments of tension. No moments of danger.
    see again i kinda have to disagree with that, like i said before i thought the story about the Brazilian black market organ doctor was kinda creepy. and Jessika Hendricks story was actually bone chilling. so the book did have some genuinely creepy moments.
    is it just me, or is this forum very homosexual? Seems like it's just the norm for people here to be homosexuals. Seriously, was this community founded for that purpose? If so, I'm just dense or something cause I never read anything stating that when I signed up.
    LMAO!

Thing is, you want to make it like the book? Get Ken Burns. Or someone who can rip off Ken Burns.

World War Z was not a horror novel. It's hard to tell horror from the POV of an event that's already happened, when you don't have a flashlight to shine in your face around a campfire. It was faux-journalism, a fake oral history, in the Studs Terkl style. If you're doing a movie version, and following the book, you're basically intersplicing the narratives so that continuity is a bit more direct, having it narration over "found footage" or TV clips.

I think they could have went with a "Contagion" style of story telling. Have Pitts part be the main character still, BUT have him recount the wars beginning middle and end in 3 movies. This story can be told, but it has to be sold as a Trilogy from the start, and people given commercials and advertising letting them know that. You can do a zombie movie in 3 parts by focusing on the characters, introduce new characters at the end of each..
    Hollywood basically tries to stick to that shit formula model they use.
    If they actually tried to innovate, they'd have more avengers style success than they'd know what to do with.

I remember when Singer was asked why the X-men didnt wear costumes...

"Design and effects
    The filmmakers decided not to replicate the X-Men costumes as seen in the comic book. Stan Lee and Chris Claremont supported this decision. Claremont joked, "you can do that on a drawing, but when you put it on people it's disturbing!"[5] Producer/co-writer Tom DeSanto had been supportive of using the blue and yellow color scheme of the comics,[1] but came to conclude that they would not work onscreen.[39] To acknowledge the fan complaints, Singer added Cyclops' line "What would you prefer, yellow spandex?" – when Wolverine complains about wearing their uniforms – during filming. Singer noted that durable black leather made more sense for the X-Men to wear as protective clothing,[1] and Shuler Donner added that the costumes helped them "blend into the night".[40] "

Idiots...
    My Armor will Protect me from the brunt of your attacks. But who will protect your mind from mine.
    - (Psylocke)
    My deviantly deviant deviations http://tazirai.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by blackdragon6 View Post
    see again i kinda have to disagree with that, like i said before i thought the story about the Brazilian black market organ doctor was kinda creepy. and Jessika Hendricks story was actually bone chilling. so the book did have some genuinely creepy moments.
    Scariest story in the book to me was hers. Her mimicking the zombie moans were disturbing. Especially the audio book.
    My Armor will Protect me from the brunt of your attacks. But who will protect your mind from mine.
    - (Psylocke)
    My deviantly deviant deviations http://tazirai.deviantart.com/

Sorry for dissapearing in the midst of that discussion by the way, i didn't see the thread updated and missed the whole deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Scariest story in the book to me was hers. Her mimicking the zombie moans were disturbing. Especially the audio book.
    that was a different story altogether. the story he's referring to was the one where the girl heads north with her parents and things go from bad to worse.
    I now know that Tish is a heavily armed, black, bi-sexual, truck driving woman who likes going to the clubs.
    I don't think I learned this much about Tom in six months let alone one post. - Boldido

"We were forced to build America, and if forced to, we will tear it down." Huey P. Newton

I like the zombie stories where people win in the end, because zombies are pretty much the least threatening monster there is.
    If you take the question of "You're in the middle of an abandoned city, and have to pick 100 werewolves, 100 zombies, and 100 vampires, which do you pick?"I'm pretty sure everyone is picking zombies.

hey guys!! i got even more great terrible news!!!....acording to this article the movie has SERIOUS issues

"scribe Damon Lindelof was brought in but it looks like he proclaimed the script needed major overhauls, not just spot fixing. Drew Goodard is now on board to help Lindelof and Christopher McQuarrie may jump in as well. The sources for the report are claiming that the studio is still trying to decide whether or not to completely change the ending or try to edit around what they have. Either way, these are major warning signs that something is wrong with the movie as a whole. The sources also went so far as to say that another director may be pulled in to reshoot the action scenes..."

Good sign when you have to change the entire ending and hire a new director to redo giant parts of the movie.
    Great sign.

there's rumors that now Brad Pitt and director Marc Foster are now not even on speaking terms. wow just wow lol
    LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Tish-the-Scorpion View Post
    hey guys!! i got even more great terrible news!!!....acording to this article the movie has SERIOUS issues
    Lulz the new writer is giving himself more work to get paid more? No diggity, who would have thunk it.