Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z

Default World War Z

I was wondering what you guys all thought about the upcoming adaption of Max Brook's awesome book World War Z, and if there is any interesting information about the movie that i haven't came across during my digging around in the web.

The only prescription... HomerJay's Avatar

Here's a nice script review:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36168
    If what I said can be interpreted as something else and I offended you, I meant the OTHER thing.
    Otherwise, refer to this link: http://www.personal-development.com/chuck/humor.htm

"With great genitals, comes great responsibility." - Ray R

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJay View Post

So far, this is one the track to being one of the best zombie movies ever made.
    Have beer, will drink!

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJay View Post
    I know that it is folly to judge movies by what people say about them, or what you see in previews, or especially script reviews. So much can be changed in the script, the director can mess the film up, they can maybe go totally off base of the book (a flight attendent, I dont remember one of those)...

but reading that script review gave me a boner. Seriously.

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Sounds promising. I have always been excited at the prospect of a film based on Max Brooks' writing. It just lends itself to it beautifully.

Insert Snappy Title Here

I wonder if they will ask his dad to be it?
    Whatever happens, Thande must be blamed.

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

I just wanna know if they're going to cast Michael Stipe in it, after that offhand joke in the book

Venomous Female Tish-the-Scorpion's Avatar

this is one of the greatest modern horror book ever written....too bad it likely won't live up to its potential as a movie, do to industry politics and such.
    Okay, before this thread this is what I knew about Tish, zip, zero, nada.
    I now know that Tish is a heavily armed, black, bi-sexual, truck driving woman who likes going to the clubs.
    I don't think I learned this much about Tom in six months let alone one post. - Boldido

I'm begining to like Tish more and more, that's what I know. - cable guy

"We were forced to build America, and if forced to, we will tear it down." Huey P. Newton

Protected by the guage Comic_Mobsta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tish-the-Scorpion View Post
    this is one of the greatest modern horror book ever written....too bad it likely won't live up to its potential as a movie, do to industry politics and such.
    I'm actually waiting for the critics to trash it.. ..
    i'm sorry, Hannibal lecter doesn't scare me. i can easily blow his fucking brains out with my custom magnum 500 (damn i love that gun).and masturbate over his corpse too...Tish-the-Scorpion

Venomous Female Tish-the-Scorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic_Mobsta View Post
    I'm actually waiting for the critics to trash it.. ..
    my greatest fear is them cutting, and or Americanizing the none American stories....I'm almost certain they will..
    Okay, before this thread this is what I knew about Tish, zip, zero, nada.
    I now know that Tish is a heavily armed, black, bi-sexual, truck driving woman who likes going to the clubs.
    I don't think I learned this much about Tom in six months let alone one post. - Boldido

I'm begining to like Tish more and more, that's what I know. - cable guy

"We were forced to build America, and if forced to, we will tear it down." Huey P. Newton

Default World War Z Official Movie Thread?

Is there one yet for the upcoming movie?
    If not I'd like to nominate this as it.

First I'm a huge Zombie fan... even though the concept of being devoured freaks me out, simply because I had a shark nibble on my leg. So I know what teeth on flesh feels like.

Here's some basic information about it.
    My Armor will Protect me from the brunt of your attacks. But who will protect your mind from mine.
    - (Psylocke)
    My deviantly deviant deviations http://tazirai.deviantart.com/

Description

Taking place in the 2010s, the book charts a war against the undead from global pandemic to mass panic, and then to an armed struggle to reclaim the planet. Rather than a grand overview or a single perspective, World War Z is instead a collection of individual accounts, each revealing an aspect of the larger plot and simultaneously presenting a very personal tale. These different accounts take the form of interviews between the author and the characters.

The book draws from post-apocalyptic and zombie literature. "The Great Panic" chapter describes the rout of civilization in a similar manner to H. G. Wells's The War of the Worlds. The tales cover many genres -- the story of a Chinese admiral who spent the war on a submarine would fit easily among techno-thrillers, and the story of Todd Wainio, an American soldier who takes part in the long struggle to regain the United States would appeal to many young adults.

The viewpoint is not exclusively American, but rather focuses on the global nature of the struggle. This use of small personal tales creates a patchwork tapestry of the larger events unfolding in the book. Brooks addresses current issues such as environmentalism, the War on Terrorism and international health care. He also offers an interesting juxtaposition between the modern world and that of post-war Earth. For example, Cuba ceases to be communist and becomes the world's leading economy, the Israelis and Palestinians make peace, Russia becomes a religious theocracy expanding in a similar manner to the USSR and conquering Belarus; it is hinted that Ukraine is next. China became a democracy with its population severely reduced, and Tibet becomes the most populous country. Mexico changes its name to Aztlan and the British Queen becomes a national hero again. Ireland, specifically the wartime refuge of the Pope and presumably most of the other members of the Vatican, is a site of pilgrimage. The Book shows South Africa playing a large part in world events, indeed, Paul Redeker, the man who devised the brilliant, but heartless, Redeker Plan, that is credited with saving humanity was South African.

It is implied that tribal groups such as South American Indians, Zulu of Southern Africa and Māori of New Zealand fared well early on in comparison to other fighting forces. One character relates an anecdote about how 500 Māori engaged half of the Auckland horde, using traditional tribal weapons, and fared much better than the world's various military forces or Western civilians.

The book's perspective is truly global, and the text offers glimpses of the fate of some countries not explicitly featured in the book, it is implied that continental France is totally overrun, which the French leadership exploit to restore the nation's pride, and that the entire population of Argentina is consumed by the living dead. The British develop unique fortified motorways which are regarded as a very valuable asset, although it is never said why.

The book features references to many fictional characters that are not interviewed, including the legendary Indian General Raj-Singh, who developed the re-enforced square tactic of anti-zombie combat, and the black president of the United States, who was a charismatic, brilliant leader who died towards the end of the war. The depth of narrative adds to the "feel" of the book as an actual chronicle of a historical conflict.

The book makes it clear that there are still many zombies left in the world, and the multinational task-force, a quasi-military outfit composed entirely of volunteers work ceaselessly to sponge, purge, and if need be, blast every trace of the undead from the earth. The Holy Russian Empire insist that they purge Siberia without the help of the international community, despite American protests. There are also private zombie killing outifts, such as the Impisi (Zulu for Hyena) who, like their namesake, clean up the dead, but without the rules and red-tape. The fate of North Korea is a mystery, with its population apparently disappearing underground.
    My Armor will Protect me from the brunt of your attacks. But who will protect your mind from mine.
    - (Psylocke)

Seeing as the script is still being written and the movie isn't scheduled to come out until sometime in 2010, no, there's not a thread up for this movie yet. Or hopeful movie adaptation, as the case may be.
    Techcitement is an online tech magazine. The term techcitement is defined by the feeling that comes over you when discovering new (or even old and unfamiliar) tech. Techcitement also relates to the idea of any use of technology that proves to be interesting, from politics to social media to fitness. If a story excites us, we want to share it with you. [I co-own this and act as EIC of this, so check it out.]

- (Psylocke)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Davis View Post
    Seeing as the script is still being written and the movie isn't scheduled to come out until sometime in 2010, no, there's not a thread up for this movie yet. Or hopeful movie adaptation, as the case may be.
    Actually I was going to post this also.. Seems the script is either near complete or done.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/...-with-zombies/

Heres a quote

One day prior to the exact day last year that we first announced Max Brooks' World War Z was being adapted, we finally hear some details on how the movie will play out. I remember first writing the news and becoming immediately excited despite having not actually read the book. And over the last year I've run into countless people who keeping telling me how great the book is. The script was written by comic book author J. Michael Straczynski, who most recently wrote Clint Eastwood's Changeling and was one of the creators of "Babylon 5". AICN just got their hands on the finished script and have reported back with a very positive reaction.

Moriarty's enthusiasm for Straczynski's script is through the roof. "I love this script. Love every dark, somber, upsetting page of it. This is a horror epic, a serious, sober-minded adult picture waiting to be made, and it's one of the best pieces of screenwriting craft I've encountered in a while." Before we get into the meat of the movie, though, let's take a look at the book again so we're clear on what it actually contains. "The book is an oral history of the great zombie wars, compiled by a nameless editor as part of a government report."

Ten years after the human victory over the world wide Zombie epidemic, referred to as World War Z, Max Brooks scours the world collecting the stories and experiences of those who have survived the conflict that almost eradicated humanity.

It is in essence just oral recollections from survivors of World War Z. This is not your typical zombie book and this won't be your typical zombie movie. Moriarty goes as far as to call the movie potentially "a genre-defining piece of work" that could even get people "arguing about whether or not a zombie movie qualifies as Best Picture material." Wow, that's quite a powerful statement, but then again, we don't even know what to expect yet. It's time to get into the details.

"In the first five pages, we see GERRY LANE collecting stories, and the first two interviews are with a flight attendant and a border guard. Both manage to play as horror shock beats, but the way they're told also sets the tone right away… JMS is after the human truth underneath the horror, and in a way, that makes it much, much harder to take."

From what I can interpret, the movie follows this particular archiver / journalist, named Gerry Lane (who might be played Brad Pitt), around as he travels the world conducting interviews with survivors. Again, from what I can interpret, it's almost like a documentary, but set in a post-zombie-apocalyptic world with much more to it than just talking heads.

"The world of the film reminds me of CHILDREN OF MEN on the page. Realistic but set in the near-future, in the aftermath of the zombie wars. We see a flashback to Gerry being given his assignment to write a report about 'where the system worked, where it didn't, how and in what ways the various organizational infrastructures failed.' It's a politically shitty job because no one wants to know that they were responsible for anything that went wrong. Gerry's hesitant because it's going to take at least six months away from his family, just as the world is starting to right itself. He takes the job, and as he travels to his first interview, we see how hard travel has become. I hate going through airport security these days, but at least I don't have to strip naked and subject myself to a blood test. Yet."

Moriarty goes on to describe Gerry's first interview with Dr. Tsai in China. In addition, he praises Straczynski for doing "a great job of etching the details of a world that has already faced its darkest moments and is now trying to put things back in order." What it sounds like the movie is really becoming is one that, while recalling some of the horrific moments from World War Z, instead focuses on the post-apocalyptic world that the survivors now all live in.
    - (Psylocke)