With Grant's permission:
The following is a conspiracy theory; a mixture of fact and conjecture. My research into this in terms of the matters of fact has been light, but if anybody chooses to challenge what I label as factual, I'll be happy to look up additional sources; or you can go to Wikipedia and look up the posted supporting material. I will state for the record that I neither believe nor disbelieve the following; but it makes a hell of a good story....
1) Fact: There is pretty much universal agreement that there has been quite a bit of climate change around the earth for the last couple of decades. It appears that the majority of those studying this believe that it is being caused by a global warming cycle, with a large majority of those believing that it is either caused by human activity or that it is at least heavily aggravated by human activity (yes, I know a significant minority disagrees; for the moment, I don't care).
2) Fact: One of the more visible proponents of the humanity-caused global warming theory, as well as one of the first visible proponents, has been one Albert Gore.
3) Fact: The 2008 Summer Olympics are scheduled to be in Beijing, China.
4) Fact: China has built an open stadium for the Olympics, in spite of the heavy pollution in Beijing and that the Olympics will be held during monsoon season.
5) Reasonable conjecture: China has been doing everything possible very hard to ensure that nothing will go wrong during the Summer Olympics.
6) Reported: China plans to use weather control techniques to keep the weather suitable during the Summer Olympics.
7) Fact: there are major concerns about the global side effects of weather control, leading to the United Nations passing a convention on the ban on weather control in 1976 (the U.S. has signed and ratified this; I don't know for sure about China, but, based on current evidence, they haven't).
8) Not too unreasonable conjecture: Based on #5 & #6, China has been experimenting with weather control for quite some time. Maybe even 20+ years?
9) Fact: The Kyoto accords, currently the most ambitious international agreement (or would-be agreement, as it seems that everybody wants it to affect everybody BUT themselves), does not put any brakes on Chinese industrial growth.
10) Fun conjecture #1: The current climate change HAS been caused by humanity; specifically Chinese weather control experiments.
11) Fact: One Albert Gore has been present on at least one occasion of funds being illegally transferred from China, although he has declared that he did not know the funds were being transferred. Although the courts determined that the fund transfers were criminal in nature, he was not convicted of any wrongdoing.
12) Fun conjecture #2: Al Gore has been in the pay of China to use his influence to distract people from Chinese weather control, and to help them use global warming theory as an economic weapon against the U.S.