Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,845

    Default Marvel Comics On Sale March 19, 2008

    Courtesy of Marvel, CBR brings you advance looks at new comics on sale next week including "Captain America" #36, the conclusion to the second act of "The Death of Captain America," plus "Iron Man," "The Order" & more.

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=13358

  2. #2
    Elder Member CMBMOOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,748

    Default

    Man, another great week is coming up. :D

  3. #3
    Flaccid Member Wreck_em's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Wow, nice preview, its gonna be a good week.

    Iron Man is the most overlooked title, and its been consistently great for over two years now. Love that 2 page splash. All comics should have one on page 2-3, its the way God (Jack Kirby) meant it to be!

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Magneto Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    6,428

    Default

    THREE great comics there previewed for next week; IM, Cap and The Order. It'll be a brilliant week! :)
    "After all, John McCain's led a very Biblical life. Like his namesake Cain, he is not afraid to go negative on a brother. Like John the Baptist, he paved the way for the new Messiah, and like Moses, he takes advice from a Bush who is going up in flames."- Stephen Colbert

  5. #5
    Long Legged Mack Daddy corporategohan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Can't wait until the preview for CM# 4 turns up..


  6. #6
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    16,494

    Default

    Woo-hoo! IRON FIST!
    Expletive Deleted

  7. #7
    Member Netley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Woo-hoo! IRON FIST!
    So is Iron Fist really like the new Starman? I've heard that comparison, which really intrigues me! I read the first 2 or 3 issues, but it didn't grab me enough to keep picking it up. (I love Brubaker, but haven't read much Fraction that I liked, so I may be biased in knowing Fraction is the main writer on the book.) But if it has that Starman style of history and depth, I'm sure it would take a little longer to build. Bottom line, am I missing out on a damn fine book, or what?

  8. #8
    Elder Member Shellhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    17,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netley View Post
    So is Iron Fist really like the new Starman? I've heard that comparison, which really intrigues me! I read the first 2 or 3 issues, but it didn't grab me enough to keep picking it up. (I love Brubaker, but haven't read much Fraction that I liked, so I may be biased in knowing Fraction is the main writer on the book.) But if it has that Starman style of history and depth, I'm sure it would take a little longer to build. Bottom line, am I missing out on a damn fine book, or what?
    Starman was decent, but Immortal Iron Fist has better writing and much better artwork. Except the annual and the one-shot had some sloppy artwork from guest artists. Overall, Iron Fist is a better title than Starman, though I have to admit that I gave up after the first six trades.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

  9. #9
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    16,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Netley View Post
    So is Iron Fist really like the new Starman? I've heard that comparison, which really intrigues me! I read the first 2 or 3 issues, but it didn't grab me enough to keep picking it up. (I love Brubaker, but haven't read much Fraction that I liked, so I may be biased in knowing Fraction is the main writer on the book.) But if it has that Starman style of history and depth, I'm sure it would take a little longer to build. Bottom line, am I missing out on a damn fine book, or what?
    In terms of taking a lower-tier superhero and exploring his world and his legacy in depth, with something of an emphasis on generational issues, it is a lot like STARMAN. The first storyline introduced Danny's predecessor and opened up the idea of previous Iron Fists (over the course of some kick-ass action sequences). The second storyline introduced Danny's counterparts in the other hidden cities and opened up an incredible new setting within the MU (over the course of a kick-ass martial arts tournament). In between storylines, we get "Times Past"-style issues devoted to previous Iron Fists. There's also the occasional Annual or one-shot that focuses on the pulp novel-esque exploits of Danny's predecessor.

    While your mileage may vary, I think it's the best comic book Marvel is producing at the moment.
    Expletive Deleted

  10. #10
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    16,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Starman was decent, but Immortal Iron Fist has better writing and much better artwork.
    Not a Tony Harris fan? I thought Snejbjerg was a little out of place in some of the later issues, but Harris's work was phenomenal.

    Personally, I'd put the two books on roughly equal footing, art-wise. Although I will say, the editorial staff for IRON FIST has done an excellent job of integrating fill-in art into the mix to lessen Aja's workload without interrupting the flow of the story. And, really, who can say no to Russ Heath art?
    Expletive Deleted

  11. #11
    Elder Member Shellhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    17,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Not a Tony Harris fan? I thought Snejbjerg was a little out of place in some of the later issues, but Harris's work was phenomenal.

    Personally, I'd put the two books on roughly equal footing, art-wise. Although I will say, the editorial staff for IRON FIST has done an excellent job of integrating fill-in art into the mix to lessen Aja's workload without interrupting the flow of the story. And, really, who can say no to Russ Heath art?
    Starman had some very good covers, but the interior artwork ranged from decent to downright crappy. I don't know if Harris did the good artwork and somebody else did the bad Starman artwork, or if it had something to do with the inker, but I ran out of patience during the sixth trade. Sadie, for example, was drawn uglier than the carnival sideshow folks from earlier in the series. The dialogue in Starman was pretty good, but as CBR's Sir Tim has pointed out, extremely random use of bold text in the word balloons made everything seem more awkward.

    When Aja draws Iron Fist, there is some nice subtlety there with the facial expressions and background activity. For example, the recent issue where Tiger's Beautiful Daughter has most of her face covered with bandages, but Fat Cobra is aggressively putting the moves on her anyway, doing the old fake yawn and stretch routine. A panel later, with both of them still not the focal point of the flow of the story, we see one of her hairpins is completely impaling his hand while there is a look of extreme horror on his face. Comedy gold, and also nice insights into these cool new characters. Comics are a visual medium, and it's moments like that when the medium really delivers on a potent combination of writing and artwork.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

  12. #12
    Member Netley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    676

    Default

    Cool, thanks guys, I'll have to give this series another try! I thought Iron Fist's conversation with Dr. Strange in New Avengers (33? 34?) was awesome, where they were discussing the idea of being replaced by their new counterparts.

    And I, for one, absolutely loved Harris on Starman and am equally enjoying his work on Ex Machina. Snejberg did seem a little out of place to me, but following Harris with a totally different style is a difficult boat to find oneself in.

  13. #13
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    16,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    When Aja draws Iron Fist, there is some nice subtlety there with the facial expressions and background activity. For example, the recent issue where Tiger's Beautiful Daughter has most of her face covered with bandages, but Fat Cobra is aggressively putting the moves on her anyway, doing the old fake yawn and stretch routine. A panel later, with both of them still not the focal point of the flow of the story, we see one of her hairpins is completely impaling his hand while there is a look of extreme horror on his face. Comedy gold, and also nice insights into these cool new characters. Comics are a visual medium, and it's moments like that when the medium really delivers on a potent combination of writing and artwork.
    That page was by Javier Pulido, not David Aja.

    I agree it was nicely staged, though.
    Expletive Deleted

  14. #14
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,845

    Default

    Courtesy of Marvel, CBR brings you more advance looks at new comics on sale next week including "Foolkiller" #4, "Ghost Rider" #21, "Wolverine: Origins" #23 and more.

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=13371

  15. #15
    Certified Mar-Vell Zombie Comet Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wreck_em View Post
    Wow, nice preview, its gonna be a good week.

    Iron Man is the most overlooked title, and its been consistently great for over two years now. Love that 2 page splash. All comics should have one on page 2-3, its the way God (Jack Kirby) meant it to be!
    I enthusiastically agree with the Wrecking guy!

    Quote Originally Posted by corporategohan View Post
    Can't wait until the preview for CM# 4 turns up..

    I agree again!

    Where is it? I want to see it!!
    I seriously miss Captain Mar-Vell.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •