Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    I'd be very happy if those ideas were broached in this book.
    That would be very interesting actually. I certainly think we'll get a better picture of Britain here, than with Marvel's attempts in the past.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword Is Drawn View Post
    I think it's very much a case that America is much more publicly proud of its War record. It stands and makes it something which the Country must publicly respect. And it works - you guys probably have a much stronger sense of national pride than we do, in the UK.

That's not how it is in the UK. When the war is over, life goes on. There isn't much celebration. We just mourn the dead. It's something that I think America doesn't quite understand. America sees WW1 and WW2 as victories. We see WW1 as millions of British men (An entire generation of teenage into young men, for that matter) gassed, crawling and dying in muddy trenches in France. Those who survived were so psychologically damaged that many simply could not function in society anymore, even once they'd come back. Because they might have survived, but they watched every man of their age, in their town, being shot or blown around them, over a course of months. That was the reality of the scale.

We think of WW2 as millions of British homes destroyed in nightly German bombing runs, of children being farmed out to foster families in the country, not knowing when things were over if they'd have a family alive to return to. Neither war was much to celebrate, for Britain. We did win the war, but for the generation Paul is speaking of (And God knows I've met a few) don't even mention America to them. Because the animosity towards the US was almost as bad as the Germans. They really hated that so many years of death, so many millions of lives could have been saved, but that America chose to stay out of it. And that's deep dark part of the British psyche which has taken many decades to heal.

We don't talk about it in polite conversation. We just move on.

You're probably right. But as I say, in more recent times and generations this has brought about a contemptuous lack of National Identity here in the UK. Something I genuinely am envious about America for being able to maintain, where we cannot.
    I think Americans are often misunderstood in this context. So much of the world only sees us in the form of political soundbites and Hollywood films. 99.9% of the country is extremely distanced from any of that. I have grandfathers and uncles who fought in WWII and NONE of them will discuss it either. They refuse on the grounds that it's very painful and a chapter of their lives that they would sooner forget. So in that regard, we're far more similar than you might think.

While it's true that we as a country have a lot of national pride, it's not the bravado that often portrayed in media. I can't say how the British differ, as I have nothing to base any statements on, but it's certainly not all flag-waving here either.

I also can't argue with your statements about whether we're resented for entering the war too late. However, in Vietnam, we're accused of staying too long. The first Gulf War we were accused of leaving too early. The current war we're accused of going too soon and staying too long. It seems we can't please everyone no matter what course of action we take. It's a real catch-22.

Back on topic, I really enjoyed the Davis Cap from the 80's and the most early Excalibur. The cross-time stuff took the series off-course and the fill-in artists we not right for the series. Cap just doesn't look right drawn by anyone but Davis. I'm on the fense about picking this one up just because I don't care for Wisdom. I think CB is great, but I'll have to see what kind of role the ancillary characters play before I can get overly excited. I'd love to see a real series focusing on Brian. While I was an x-junkie as a kid, I still read Excalibur because of Cap, not the x-members. The more Cap and less MI:13 the better.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nacho_bidness View Post
    I think Americans are often misunderstood in this context. So much of the world only sees us in the form of political soundbites and Hollywood films. 99.9% of the country is extremely distanced from any of that. I have grandfathers and uncles who fought in WWII and NONE of them will discuss it either. They refuse on the grounds that it's very painful and a chapter of their lives that they would sooner forget. So in that regard, we're far more similar than you might think.
    And it's totally understandable, too. We tend to use phrases like 'War is Hell!' in a rather blasť, movie tagline fashion, these days. But in the thick of it all that is exactly what it is. Death, on a mass scale, in the most horrible of ways possible. Life there one second and gone the next. But those kind of things are done in the name of war, and men have to DO them. Things that more often than not they are not proud of. And I wouldn't want to share those things with people either.

While it's true that we as a country have a lot of national pride, it's not the bravado that often portrayed in media. I can't say how the British differ, as I have nothing to base any statements on, but it's certainly not all flag-waving here either.
    I'm sure that you're right, there. The media do make feel that way, but I seriously doubt that the everybody Stateside agrees with every war decision made by their government anymore than we do. But the media have to portray a united front. I hope I didn't come across as being a dick about this. I was only trying to explain the feeling that my grandpa's generation had about it all.

I also can't argue with your statements about whether we're resented for entering the war too late. However, in Vietnam, we're accused of staying too long. The first Gulf War we were accused of leaving too early. The current war we're accused of going too soon and staying too long. It seems we can't please everyone no matter what course of action we take. It's a real catch-22.
    I think that because of the experiences of people in WW1 & 2 and Vietnam (Which America only got involved with to help the French if I recall rightly?) nobody can win the public trust with war. Because nobody wants to think about losing family members and friends, and nobody can think about ANY war in any other terms. It might sometimes be necessary, but you won't ever please anybody.

Back on topic, I really enjoyed the Davis Cap from the 80's and the most early Excalibur. The cross-time stuff took the series off-course and the fill-in artists we not right for the series. Cap just doesn't look right drawn by anyone but Davis.
    Yes, very few have got it right. I think Casey Jones did a good Cap in costume on Excalibur, and Carlos Pacheco and Salvador Larocca weren't bad either. But Davis rules in those stakes.

I'm on the fense about picking this one up just because I don't care for Wisdom.
    Don't worry too much about that. The bickring between the two of them does just as much for Brian as it does for Wisdom. And as PC says in that article, Wisdom even respects Brian. Though he'll be hard pushed to admit it.

I think CB is great, but I'll have to see what kind of role the ancillary characters play before I can get overly excited. I'd love to see a real series focusing on Brian. While I was an x-junkie as a kid, I still read Excalibur because of Cap, not the x-members. The more Cap and less MI:13 the better.
    I think it's safe to assume he'll be the focal point, what with his name on the title. Brian really is the face of Marvel's Britain, and I'm very glad that this is now being acknowledged.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

It seems as though the article is saying Cap will be portrayed much more like Captain America --> Mr Duty, Honor, and Glory. While CA was an ok character, historically he came across as very one-dimensional (bordering on dull) to me. I'd hate to see CB taken that direction.

There was always a bit of humor to CB. He was almost like Bruce Wayne if he was a superhero himself and not just a facade for a traumatized Batman. CB might have been a little over the top at times, but he wasn't ever boring, and I never saw that as buffoonery. If CB gets too serious, it'll kill the best part of the character.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mangaman View Post
    Who is Faisa Hussein? A new character?
    Seems so. I suppose we'll find out once the article goes live.
    Expletive Deleted

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR'S SUPER SPY WEEKEND: John the Skrull

For part two of our weekend long feature on the cast of "Captain Britain and MI:13," writer Paul Cornell helps us "Imagine" what the team's resident shapeshifter, John the Skrull, is like.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=13284
    Last edited by CBR News; 03-08-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Never been a huge Cap Britain fan, but surprised nobody has commented on the art: It looks fantastic IMHO

John the Skrull = teh awesome. :D

That's not how it is in the UK. When the war is over, life goes on.
    Oh, come on. Have you noticed most people's attitude to Germans and Germany in this country? If it's moved on from 1945 at all, it's only got as far as 1966.

In general, the fact that our 'finest hour' was the war that also ended our global power has chronically warped our sense of patriotism. Our ability to promote the best traditions of our country was based on the same economic strength we used to gain an Empire. It's hardly any wonder we've had an (at best) ambivalent sense of patriotism ever since. It's very difficult to wave a Union Jack and not look like some throwback to the 40s/50s or a 'Let's Blitz Fritz' football hooligan.

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR'S SUPER SPY WEEKEND: Spitfire

In Part III of our weekend-long look at the cast of "Captain Britain and MI:13," writer Paul Cornell joins CBR to turn the spotlight on England's fastest woman, Lady Jacqueline Falsworth Crichton AKA Spitfire.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=13286

If this book had Captain Britain, Union Jack, Spitfire, Black Knight and John the Skrull i'd be in utter heaven. Dane isnt British though is he?
    Hi, my name is Peter Parker and I make satanic pacts with demons. .I shall not buy Amazing Spider-Man until the marriage returns. Be a part of the movement.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    If this book had Captain Britain, Union Jack, Spitfire, Black Knight and John the Skrull i'd be in utter heaven. Dane isnt British though is he?
    no. he's from New England. his uncle Nathaniel is british. his powers are of british origin. and the castle he used to live in is located in England. so he's as close as an american can come to being british. i'm sure that he'll have a unique perspective on the invasion. i loved Dane when he was part of Heroes 4 Hire. he was, arguably, the coolest member of the team. i wonder why the Lady of the Lake abandoned him.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Which is, after all, what fans of Excalibur have been calling for since 1998. So here's hoping! ;)
    Speak for yourself. I have been calling for an all (or MOSTLY) British Excalibur roster since 1993.:)

Well said. I agree with everything you said.

In real life MOST soldiers, no matter what country they are from, DO NOT talk about their war time experience.

Shield of the True North CaptainCanada's Avatar

It's really cool to have Spitfire on the team; I've wanted to see more of her ever since "21st Century Blitz" (I'd really like to see her and Union Jack meet the new Captain America; actually that'd be a good crossover for the whole team, or at least have Captain Britain meet him too).
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson

"SCOTT!" *faints* Zombienorthstar's Avatar
    London,England,UK,Europe,The World,Earth 616

So far i love the sound of it, the team sounds really balanced, and a great spotlight for the more unknown areas of the Marvel Universe. It soounds brilliant.

I love the idea that the 'hot young superheroine' in the group will actually have the views and mentality of an elderly woman and i hope that's maintained, i hope she keeps those views.

SO EXCITED.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2006
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

X-Poster of the Month: March 2007
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

Chris Yost- Thanks for the review, future-person